Heavy gauge strings on my Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StellaCaster, Feb 12, 2012.

1. StellaCaster

StellaCaster Member

Hello all, I'm almost finished with my Strat project and I bought a set of Fender 150JL strings for it. The bridge hasn't come in yet, or I probably wouldn't have to ask this..... But anyway, the 6th string (.052) only fits about halfway into the nut slot. By that I mean it is sitting at the bottom of the slot, but the top of the string is not all the way down in the slot if that makes sense. Will this cause any problems?

2. AcornHouse

AcornHouse Member

Your nut is probably slotted for lighter gauge strings. In order to use heavier strings, you'll have to widen (but not deepen) the nut slots. If they don't fit correctly they may bind, come out of the slot, and/or raise the action. If its only the 6th string, you might be able to do it with a small needle file.
    If you go deeper, it could lead to string buzzing and too low action.

3. StellaCaster

StellaCaster Member

The slots seem to be wide enough, all the strings seem to be hitting the bottom of the slot. I'll string it up once I have the bridge and see if they bind. I was just concerned about part of the strings being above the top of the nut.

4. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Just now curious, my friend has a recently inherited a Fender Stratocaster. Was lying under a bed unused and did some mechanical work for trade.

Now I have give a set of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys for Restring and after everything was strung up and down, he told me that it pulled on his tremolo to mucho, due to different string tension. So he undid the strings and headed outfit the lighter gauges.
    Is there a cure to this? , can you add heavier springs in the back of the Strat to compensate for the extra tension, this change of strings has caused.
    I've had all my guitars changed to Not EvenSlinkies, but had them all set up by a technician, should I just encourage my mate to check it in for a service if he wants to change gauges, or any other tips?

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If the string does not rattle and is low enough at the first fret and it doesn't pop out of the slot or bind up while tuning I would leave it alone.
    If it goes all the way into the slot you probably don't have a problem

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I normally just add a spring and crank the adjustment claw down.
    I don't use a whammy, so I always put a lot of tension on the springs so the bridge doesn't move.

7. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Thanks rockledge,
    I keep you posted.