Heavy, High-gain with an old P-90

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by sosomething, Jan 31, 2006.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

It can be done. [​IMG] It's been a long time since I've posted anything in this section, and have abstained from doing so since because I never really felt like I had anything to contribute. This time at least I've done something you all might be curious about, whether or not you're moved by my playing (which is understandable).

This is sort of a metal/goth/punk/rock/phsychobilly tune I recorded using my '63 SG Jr. and PODxt at home. The pickup is just the stock dog-ear P-90 that's been in the guitar all along. It's a demo for the band so no vocals and the drums were programmed in FLStudio.

I used very little processing. No compression and no more gain than I would use with a humbucker-equipped guitar. There is some noise gating, but less than I first thought I'd have to use, and some very reserved EQ-ing during mixing. Overall I'm pretty happy with the metal-type capabilities of the guitar. While I admit that the coveted P-90 tones most people enjoy aren't really present in this track, I have to stress that my intent was to test the extreme limits of the guitar's versitility.

Your thoughts and comments would be very appreciated on this, since I'm pretty enamoured with the instrument and don't think I'm able to be the least bit objective about the result.

Hope you enjoy - don't mind my cheesy working-title: The Fear

2. loopjunkie

loopjunkie Member

3. sosomething

sosomething Member

danke

4. Antero

Antero Member

5. jimijam

jimijam Member

I have no doubts on what P90's do, I have a 67 SG special with P90's and I can get that axe to do the metal as well and it sounds Killer! Good job man!

6. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks! I've never owned a guitar with P-90s before and had no idea they could be so versatile. I'm really loving the richness of this guitar. Of course the clip above is only one thing it can do - and tonally I'll admit the guitar can sound much better through a real amp - my Splawn absolutely loves it. I plan to have some good live clips of the Junior through the Splawn in a week or so, so maybe if they're decent I'll post them here.

7. mikem

mikem Senior Member

I thought the sound actually did resemble P-90's although maybe not doing what I am used to hearing them do. I thought that sounded great. The playing was pretty damned good, too! Now, besides gassing for a Tele, I'm gassing for a P-90 equipped guitar. When will the madness end?

Mike

8. refin

refin Member

Nice unmistakable growl----good heavy riffs!

9. sosomething

sosomething Member

I'm pretty green when it comes to knowing what P-90s can do, actually. Whenever I would be in a store, I would always pick up at least one P-90 axe and play for a bit, but usually through something more sedate-to-medium-gain, like a tweed Bassman or an AC-30. It never crossed my mind to go high gain with them as I assumed it would be a nightmare of hiss and feedback.

Not so.

In fact I found this guitar by asking the dept. manager if they had any nice P-90-equipped guitars in stock (just figuring I'd waste some time) and he handed me the Junior, which for some reason I immediately plugged into a Silver Jubilee 2550...... almost bought the amp, too! :D