• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Heavy rock or punk cover version of " Burning Love"

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
Right this is a real long shot!
Some time between 1989 and 1991 I was lent a a homemade compilation tape ( in London UK) and on it I remember a very good, tight stonking version of "Burning Love" made famous earlier by Elvis, I have never been able to find out who it was by! I have tracked down a few versions but they weren't the right one it's definately not "the Embarrasment"
It was fairly rocky or punky as I remember, it had gritty crunchy guitars with attitude.
Every now and then I scoure the internet for clues and run dry, it drives me mad so I give up for a couple of years until it resurfaces in my head to haunt me!
It's a real shame because from what I remember it was really good, but I was 17 at the time so I guess I may be looking back with rose tinted glasses, it's all part of my regression therapy trying to find things from years past!

Anyone got any ideas????

hears hoping

T

mikem

The band I was in did that to that particular tune, partly due to my disgust with having to do it in the first place. Folks like the tune and danced to it, though! If you have to play stuff you don't like, you might as well have some fun with it.

Mike

cameron

Are you sure it wasn't the Dread Zeppelin version? Burnin' Love fused with Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love . . .

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
Are you sure it wasn't the Dread Zeppelin version? Burnin' Love fused with Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love . . .

pretty sure it wasnt, but there's a remote chance ,

was that heavy,
I'm a big zep fan I would remember it going into whole lotta love, but I'll look that up, cheers

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
Cover versions of "Burning Love"
  • Though she has never recorded it, Dolly Parton has often included "Burning Love" in her concert set lists, from the mid 1970s on.
  • In September 2006 a remix of the song was recorded by Mocean Worker (MoWo) for an advert for Honda C-RV.
  • A Gene Summers cover version of "Burning Love" was included on the double album "Juke-Box Rock 'n Roll" issued by EMI/Big Beat (#1597671) in France in 1988.
Based on your description, I would guess Killdozer

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not too sure about that, from the Killdozer I've heard they are not very musical! the version I had was tight and punchy with good rock vocals, someone suggested ss-20 I am trying to get hold of their version which was released in 88 they are apparently quite a tight punk rock band

we'll see

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
There was a band called "The Embarrassment" that did a version of it somewhere around that time

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
There was a band called "The Embarrassment" that did a version of it somewhere around that time

Yeah it's not them dude,

I got all excited when I found out about them a few years back when this obsession bit me in the arse and I ordered their cd but it wasn't the one I'm thinking of.

cheers though

T

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry...I didn't see that in your 1st post.

Could it be by the band Frenzy? They did a punkish cover of it a long time ago also.. can't remember what CD it was on.

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry...I didn't see that in your 1st post.

Could it be by the band Frenzy? They did a punkish cover of it a long time ago also.. can't remember what CD it was on.
do you have it could you email it?

wraeththu

I hope that after all this time you get to see this-I think you will find it was sigue sigue sputnik.It was on the blak elvis cd but they were doing it before that.

Mark Barratt

Gold Supporting Member
I think the version you may be after is by ROBERT JOHNSON.
He released 2 albums "Close Personal Friend" in 1978 and a year ? or so later
"The Memphis Demos" ( which was actually recorded prior to "C P F" )

The "Memphis Demos'" album (only) had a ripping version of 'Burning Love' that fits your description.

There is a 2008 CD available featuring both of these albums.

Great guitar -- Lead and Rhythm !!

Tompski

Silver Supporting Member
Dude I had lost hope as no version yet is the one I remember! I will check that out immediately! how did you stumble on this old thread???

Trending Topics