"Heavy" speaker in a Brown Deluxe - can the baffle support it?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jrigg, Feb 15, 2008.

1. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I put an old coffee-can EV SRO in my Brown Deluxe yesterday. The speaker has the long, heavy, alnico magnet and I am concerned that it may break the baffle. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I need to be concerned?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I suppose if you drop the amp the speaker weight might be an issue.Your back is more of a concern however.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I've put a variety of speakers in my Brown Deluxe but not that one (I've owned that one and know How heavy and weirdly balanced it is though.

Personally I'd be a bit concerned IF you were moving /banging the amp much. It's a really heavy speaker and the baffle in my 61-62 Deluxe is very thin and like yours , 45 years old. . I have no concerns with other Eminence in mine or Celestions,etc. GOOD LUCK!!

You're the best judge of this btw! :) ERIC

4. jrigg

Yes it is a very heavy speaker and with the magnet being so long, it seems to be putting too much strain on the baffle. Common sense is telling me that it's not a good idea, particularly if I move this amp around a lot. I was surprised at how thin the baffle seemed once I put that SRO in there as I have tried a lot of different speakers in there. I had a Scholz in there which is also a fairly heavy speaker but it is much shorter so the weight is not hanging way out from the baffle board causing the board to bend.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    If your Brown Deluxe is Vintage I would'nt take the chance. But if it isn't you could beef up the baffle or even take the whole amp up a step with a new one?

Like Eric said you'd be the best judge on weather or not you think the heavier driver deserves the attention.

EnJoy the Music
    Groovey Records

6. ericb

Hey Groovey! I just checked out your myspace page and "Puss and Boots' huh!!! I have that album and played that a thousand times! :) I also only live in Vt closeby... Small world... I bet out of the thousands on this forum if we did a name that tune/band only a handful of us would get it!

ERIC

7. jrigg

I used some common sense and took out the SRO today. It sounded pretty good - wish I could've left it in but I'm sure it would've cracked the baffle eventually. I put in an old Vox silver alnico that sounds awesome but would likely blow the voice coild on that if I cranked it. The Brown Deluxe is an incredibly loud amp for 22 watts. I may end up trying a Celestion Gold if I can find one cheap on the forum.

8. ericb

If you really like the sound of that speaker and that amp , you could always put it in a 1x12 and use it instead of an internal speaker, or in addition to another internal speaker. I think probably you did the right thing here.. I wonder how the Gold would sound in there.. I bet really good, but it's so expensive! GOOD LUCK

ERIC

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I've had good luck with auctions from Avatar on ePay I got some GB's $71 new. You can save

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If you really dug the SRO why not just buy a new baffle board and use that wiht the SRO. If it's new and maybe a hair thicker it shoudl be fine and if it does crack it's new and you still have the original put away fro safe keeping! FWIW, Ted Nugent used an SRO in his brown deluxe that he recorded with...Im sure it sounds killer!

On the subject of the Silver Celestion...those silver ones are a bit more stout than the blues from the same time period...I think you'd be just fine with the Silver for a long time...unless you put the amp on 10 and leave it there. I have a vintage silver I used in my 62 Deluxe for a while and liked it...ran it pretty hard and never hurt the speaker!

11. jrigg

I may consider putting in a new baffle with the SRO. I remember wingwalker that we exchanged messages about the speakers in Brown Deluxes before and I was wondering how your silver was doing. Have you switched it out for something else?

12. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

I've a 65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb with a coffee can SRO in it. I love it, but it is a heavy amp. I have seen no structural strain on the baffle, but then again, your amp is older.
    I'd do as eric b recommended and put the SRO in an extension cab (open or partially open back :AOK) so you have a choice of the internal speaker or the SRO.

13. chaz

chaz Member

I have a coffee can SRO in a '65 Deluxe. I made a new baffle out of 1/2" baltic birch and it's plenty sturdy. Don't remember for sure what the baffle is on a brownface Fender, but thought it was 1/2" plywood? I'd just get a new baffle and save the original if possible. That's a great speaker that won't blow even if you crank it with pedals. Be sure to measure the distance across of the mounting holes. As I recall I think they were a little different than a standard 12" speaker.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Yeah man!

Well, the Silver Alnico is still here but I tried a Greenback in it mostly for kicks and liked it so much I have left it in there up to this point!

Im still kind of unsure if it'll be the speaker for it but I do like it...I wish it had a tad more bottom but in ways I like it better than the alnico!

My most recent thought has been putting the alnico back in the cab and then putting a greenback in a closed back cab and running it was an extension cab but who knows...

15. jrigg

I've had the alnico in for a while and like it but I'm going to put back the Scholz Sugar Cone and see how it compares. I probably want the tight deep bottom of the Scholz and the nice mids and highs of the silver alnico combined in one speaker!

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I like both the alnico and the greenback but I want something like the Greenback with more low end...Im like you...I want several speakers all rolled into one!

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

jrigg, have you considered a Vintage 30 or Classic Lead 80 in that amp?

18. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Jim, funny you say that...the guy I bought my brown deluxe from said his favorite speaker in it was a Silver Alnico and his favorite ceramic speaker was a Vintage 30! I have never been a fan of Vintage 30's or Classic Lead 80's for that matter but now you have me thinking...

19. jrigg

Jim, thanks for jumpin' in this thread. I have tried a G12H30 but not a Vintage 30 and have never played through a Lead 80 in my life. What could I expect say compared to the Silver from those speakers? I do prefer ceramic magnet speakers generally. I would have never thought of those 2 speakers.