Hectic Watermelon Live Clips! Dual Egnater rig.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by John Czajkowski, Jul 3, 2006.

1. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Live Bootleg of "The Third Derivative of James Brown."

We got a pretty decent quality stereo mic recording of our very fun gig at the Coors Rock on Stage at the San Diego County Fair. The band played the material pretty well, and it was the biggest crowd the band has played for after only three gigs, so that was really cool too! Thanks again for those whoe could make it to the show!

As of this writing, there is now live material up on the band website on both the site-wide player and live bootleg download area. The first tune I uploaded is the math-fusion nightmare, “The Third Derivative of James Brown.” Wild and crazy...:crazy

Notes on the patch design for "The Third Derivative of James Brown." My W/D/D/W rig has 2 Egnater preamps and a VHT power amp some of you may have seen in my other thread. The live recording quality could be much better, but you can still hear lots of stuff getting switched around in this very fragmented and wacky tune. The clean Andy Summers tones are the Engnater ie4 Ch 2 with a compressor and EQ in front of it heading to a brighter voicing on VHT ch A and stereo chorus and delays with a synth pad. The distortion parts use a setup that switches between the M4 Erect A for rhythm and ie4 ch 3 for lead tones. They are switched back and forth with an expression pedal so I can pop back and forth betwen them very fast and not get lost! Also the marimba synth fades in when the pedal is rocked down to the lead. During the Planet X math melt-down before the drum solo, there is a new synth pad that takes the place of the marimba for a while. Also, there is a light room reverb on both rhythm and leads with the option to add delay to the lead.

We also got some video. When I’m done with the CD mixing/mastering and artwork, I’ll try to hook the audio and the video together in Final Cut LE. I have never done any video editing, so it will probably take me a few days to figure that whole evolution out. (I need to put together a promo package so we can try to get more gigs.) Anybody in the San Diego area who would be willing to give me a lesson on Final Cut LE, I’ll pay, buy beer, you name it!

2. scottl

scottl Member

Yeah baby!! On it in a few.......

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I'd love to see the video footage of this gig! Sounds very energetic and frenzied. Awesome!

4. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

5. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

"clap your hands everybody and everybody Just clap your hands"
    Hahaha you must dislocate a few shoulders at your gigs..
    Seriously Badass John! You guys sound tight as all hell!
    Major kudos!..........

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Dang, this is swell stuff.

7. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Ah shucks fella's. Thanks for not commenting on my patch drop-outs. I was having an issue with the Expression pedal that morphs between the lead and rhythm chan. It's kind of like when the shadow governement blackhawks are shooting at you out on the golf course and you can't get your secret deflector ring to work!:crazyguy

8. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Damn that was good. There IS intelligence remaining in America! Huzzah! You know, that crowd was so into it. A swell sign!

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Wow- I think my pea sized musical brain almost exploded. That sounded awesome!:crazy
    Nice chunk factor on the fast palm mutes - your jam sessions must be insane :eek:

10. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Well JC I already commented on this song in the MTS forum but I might as well post here too! RIGHTEOUS sir! Very Zappa-esque... I love it! Clap your hands everybody, and everybody just clap your hands! Let me know when you guys get that cd recorded let me know, I'll be first in line to grab a copy bro! :AOK Also be sure to give me a heads up if you ever get over to the East Coast, I'd love to check out a live show! I'm going to sell my Randall RM50 head in a bit to upgrade to the Eggie M4 / VHT 2/50/2 setup.... already have my E-Rect, MHG and EG3/4 dual channel modules ready! Again.... EXCELLENT tone and playing sir! :dude

11. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Wow-you guys can really play live-wicked!

i see youve got Jerry Goodman-way cool-
    i was just looking at my vynil record of "Like Children"
    a collab between Jerry & Jan Hammer from the early 70s[after MO?]-
    theres a great tune on there called "Country & Eastern Music"--!

Im sure you guys will hit big!!

12. lhallam

lhallam Member

Proof positive.
    Killer.

13. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Thanks lhallam, johnfindlay, GuitarGuy510, gassyndrome, and Priestunes!

Johnfindlay, I don't have that album, but I've heard it. I like that tune you are talking about very much as well. I also love Jerry's solo albums - especially Ariel. Watching Jerry record with us was a serious Wayne's World moment...It was a week of "we're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
    :dude

14. fatback

fatback Member

Cool stuff, as always. :AOK

That rig sounds like a blast to use. Any chance of the Watermellon hitting the road? Me thinks you guys would be perfect at one of the regular Guitar Player sponsored nights at the Boom Boom room here in SF. Then again, it's hard to beat that Baked Potato gig in your own backyard.

15. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

The rig is fun indeed (after it has been moved...). You know, I'm from Oakland/Walnut Creek, and I was hoping to get up there late this summer with the band, but the CD took me longer than I ad planned. We will get up there for a few shows in a row ultimately, so thanks for the info on the venue. I'll look into it.

16. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

wow JG has solo albums?

wicked havin him on board!

17. mikem

mikem Senior Member

I cant believe how good that was- I dunno how much work it was to come up with that arrangement, but it really was well done live. HW rules!

Mike

18. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey John just wanted to let you know I ordered an M4 from Indoor Storm so I can finally use my Dual Channel Eggie modules! :drool All I need is another VHT 2/50/2 and I'm good to go! Between that an my Fuchs.... geez tone heaven! :cool:

19. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Ahhh... Good to hear that again! That was a killer show.

"Everybody just clap your hands!" - I think there were some fairgoers that happened by that just couldn't figure out why it was so difficult to clap their hands to your music. :rotflmao

20. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Here's a new link to the Live Bootleg download area on the Hectic Watermelon site.

I think you will be very happy with it! I love my M4. I can never figure out which module I like the most!

It was a huge task not so much to arrange it, but just the whole writing, rehearsing, recording, re-learning process. We are playing it WAY too fast, but this tune is supposed to be pretty comical in a Roadrunner-on-crack kind of way so it is permissible I guess. The recording can go slower becuase there are some many other elements in there, but live it feels pretty skimpy with the power trio...

Thanks again for comin out and braving the heat Ron! People clapping? Never hear it?:worried

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!:dude