1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Height Adjustable Saddles on a Floyd Rose?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sean, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

I have a strat that has a Floyd- the neck is a 7.25 radius (I think). The Floyd is preset at something larger (like a 10" or 14"). This makes for problems when setting up the guitar to play well.

I know I've seen a Floyd bridge with height adjustable saddles- I just can't remember where. I thought it was Stew-Mac, but I can't find it over at their site. If I could find a bridge that does this, the guitar would be very playable- it plays like crap right now.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure someone here has seen this bridge before.

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I just went to IbanezRules.com and got a bunch of saddle shims.

Never heard of a Floyd height adjustable saddle before.

3. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

The WD floyd copy trem I have (at least I'm pretty sure it's WD, even though it doesn't say who makes it), has two little allen screws on each saddle to adjust the height. I guess I'm lucky I bought mine used at a pawn shop for $15.00, because it seems buying new WD items is way expensive.

Fernandez used to make a floyd copy (named FRT-7 in the old catalog I have), which had a single allen height screw on each saddle.

I just ground the saddles on a Peavey Floyd to get the radius perfect. Wasn't too hard on that one, because the Peavey trem metal is soft enough to use a regular file on. Real floyds seem to be too hard for regular files, so then you have to use diamond files or abrasive stone or shims. lately I'm finding that I can get the job done faster by grinding the saddles, instead of trying to find shims of the exact thickness I need.

This is one job where those under the string radius gauges are really helpful.

4. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Kahler made a liscensed Floyd Rose called the Kahler Spyder 2700. It came on my Peavey Vandenberg, and it has saddles that are individually adjustable for height.

Kahler also made another cool model (don't remember the model number offhand) that you could adjust string spacing as well. Very cool.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You could probably make your own shims from brass shim stock or cut up a feeler gauge, pretty time-consuming either way.

6. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

Yep- way time consuming no matter what. Thanks for the replies.

I know that I saw an after market floyd that has height adjustable saddles- I just can remember where. It said something like "This is the only Floyd Rose that can do this" or something like that.

I know I can make the bridge that is currently on the guitar work better, I just am not looking foward to the shimming process. It'll always be somewhat of a compromise, too. It's not like it's my main guitar or anything- I got it as a reminder of when I was a kid.

As you can see from the date of my original post I'm not really in any hirry to get this done. In fact, the guitar sat for over a year waiting for me to do anything to it. The guys in my band kinda groan when I play anything with a Floyd anyway (but that can be fun!)

7. jhale667

jhale667 Member

I just stumbled across this forum in a google search for the very same item. The WD Bridge you're reffering to was the KKT-3, which they no longer stock. I was given one as a gift sometime ago and was intrigued by the saddles, though I normally wouldn't give a Floyd-knockoff a second look. Yesterday I installed the saddles on an original Floyd on one of my older guitars, they seem to work...lost a tiny bit of intonation range, as they are slightly longer than the standard Floyd saddle, but not enough that it was a problem. I am also interested if anyone knows of another means of finding these saddles....or even leftover stock of the bridges to canabalize said saddles from...I have another old Floyd that could use some love....

8. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I just need one fine-tuner for my old WD trem. Can't imagine why anyone would part one out, because the base-plate seems to be made as well as a real floyd.

9. jhale667

jhale667 Member

HATED the base-plate...canabalized the saddles...