Helios footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by per erik, Mar 13, 2015.

1. per erik

per erik Member

I have ordered a Bogner Helios 100 watt head ,so what footswich would cover the amp most?In an out of clean/drive channel and in and out of effects loop etc!I prefer led/light on the footswitch?

2. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

Sorry I can't answer except to say that Bogner should be including one with a 3K hand wired amp. The Atma is 1.4K or so and has a nice footswitch. What gives Bogner?

3. per erik

per erik Member

I would prefer to pay some more and have the footswitch included,but that is not a big deal for me!

4. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

The uber or shiva footswitch should work.

5. per erik

per erik Member

Ok thanks,anything else that could work?

6. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I think its ridiculous that no footswitch is included. I guess even genius amp designers make bad decisions

7. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

8. per erik

per erik Member

Thanks JYD this might be what i am looking for,thanks again!

9. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

I guess in part I'm derailing the thread, sorry, but is it doable to use an A/B box to switch channels on the Helios? I've got a D13 Switchazel, and would love to be able to do that-Anyone?

10. supersecretjim

supersecretjim Member

I just got my Helios 50 watt head & tried to use my Crate Dual LED footswitch with it, and the LEDs both light up & turn on and off with the footswitch, but the switch doesnt actually DO anything. The amp goes to channel 1 and effects loop on. :(. I could probably crack the footswitch open, but then it wouldnt work correctly for the other applications Ive used it for. I like that it has a removable cable & just uses standard TRS in whatever length I choose. I dont think messing with the cables is the answer either, probably the internal workings of the footswitch.

At this point, I guess Ill have to get a different footswitch, probably the one on this thread (P-H471-LED - Marshall replacement)

Can anyone (JYD) confirm that the P-H471-LED footswitch not only changes channels & FX loop on/off, but lights up when effects loop is on, & channel 2 selected. Ive read other reports stating LEDS acting opposite of what you would think normal operation should be (LED off when FX Loop selected).

THanks for any clarification!

BTW, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Helios 50 watter after just a day or so. Ive only played it through my Goldfinger open back 2x12, but really like what Im hearing so far

11. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

The foot switch in the link above is what I use with my Helios 100. Almost any Marshall replacement foots witch will work

12. supersecretjim

supersecretjim Member

Got the Footswitch today. A bit let down. Good quality and all, channel and fx loop switching works, but FX LED is lit on footswitch when effect off!? Clean and crunch channel act as you would want them to (LED off Clean channel/ on Dirty channel). Id thought this was mentioned somewhere online but couldnt find it, and didnt know if it was this particular pedal.

Good quality, but not fully compatible with the Helios, IMO. Ill keep it and use it, but may try another pedal, or maybe modify my crate dual LED pedal...

13. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Yup same thing with me, I have the same footswitch. The wiring to the jack would have to be reversed in the amp I believe.

14. supersecretjim

supersecretjim Member

Unfortunately, as much as I love my Helios & Goldfinger, I feel the switching options on both of these amps are in "Beta" without hope of upgrade. The goldfinger has its own footswitch and a couple of things on it seem reversed as well. This really shouldnt be expected or acceptable in a high-end, boutique (expensive) amp.

But damn, both amps sound so good :) Im selling off my EVH 5150III, Fractal Axe-Fx and probably Genz Benz Black Pearl

I may see if I can get different LEDs from Radio Shack, to have different colors for FX and Amp channel. Future project...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    BrentSP likes this.
  15. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Goldfinger is a fantastic amp also. Best of the best cleans and the vintage warm plexi overdrives are just too sweet.

16. supersecretjim

supersecretjim Member

Agreed. I got the goldfinger on a whim wanting something new. It KILLS for 80's hard rock with a Tube Screamer (min gain-max volume- used as clean boost) up front in 70s mode. Of course, the Helios needs no pedal up front to do 80's... its incredible on its own.

17. Nigel jones

Nigel jones Member

Hi guys managed to acquire a spot on footswitch from the lads at bright onion pedals in the uk, two switch with leds and you can flick an internal switch so the the LED’s light up on the right function
    Ie hit the dirty channel and it lights up, absolutely mint!
    http://www.brightonion.co.uk/

18. alextgreene100

alextgreene100 Member

For anyone else that was heartbroken that this amp can't footswitch to change inputs, I figured it out. This answers nolenuttt's question from above.

I honestly believe this is the best amp on the market, with the exception that you cannot change inputs on the fly, rendering it less useful for gigging. It is the best all in one package with a great tube buffered effects loop that I have heard to date, especially the best high gain channel. The Helios 100 watt has the most wonderful clean tones on channel one in the plexi input, and demon summoning gain tones on on channel two in the hot input. To gig with it, I had to figure out a way to access both channels via footswitch, without buying two amps and having a head switcher :p Since I already play in stereo, that would get $$$ quickly.

Since Bogner builds their amps in a spare no expenses type fashion, I followed suit and sourced the best components available. I wired in a bypassable silver contact relay internally that allows me to use either input on the front panel. I decoupled the 4 ohm output on the back of the amp (an output i never use), and took the circuit from the original footswitch jack and wired it in addition with the relay to the 4 ohm output jack so I didn't have to drill an additional hole in the chassis for the new footswitch. This will also let me use the old footswitch if I ever want to, and it makes it really easy if I ever want to revert the amp to original specifications.

I then used a three button TRS footswitch and wired it so one button is FX loop, one button is channel switching, and the other is input switching. Now, to change the input you need a power source to flip the relay. You could do this two ways - use a voltage divider inside the amp and take power from the existing circuit, or use an independent power supply. In efforts to keep the original circuit as unmodified as possible, I wired in a separate 9V battery circuit in the pedal so the footswitch can engage and disengage the relay on a completely separate circuit. Remember, most of the time if you are adding to a signal chain, you are actually subtracting. Less is more with killer hand built amps.

I did this a couple years ago and have played hundreds of gigs with it since, and I should have posted this earlier for everyone. Works like a charm. I have photos of inside the chassis and how I did everything if anyone is interested, and I can record a video too showing functionality. Just message me.

I reached out to Bogner and showed them this, and told them that I thought this was the only thing it was missing that fans desire and what it needed to make it the ultimate gigging machine. They said it looked good and the concept was on the list for future upgrades, but there were other projects going on and no date listed...

I may be the only one in the world with a Helios that footswitches, but damn I love it and I'm never selling it :p