Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. patriciogac

patriciogac Member

My mother in law will come to my house in Monday.... so I predict Monday 2.8 will jump on... Murphy law

2. Guitarzman

Guitarzman Member

Same here I've never overwritten factory presets there are a few that I like and can reference from. And If I ever do overwrite them by mistake I do a factory reset :)

3. coolhand

coolhand Member

i'm actually rather excited about having new presets. there are just unfathomable numbers of options available on the platform. i find it rather daunting. hopefully the presets will give me some new ideas. does anyone have a favorite 3rd party preset (or pack of presets)? i've only played with the factory and my own. i was never sure if buying a preset was worthwhile.

4. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I’ve bought a few and have been pretty much disappointed in every case. It’s so not worth it for Helix patches IMHO. I’ve gleaned more tips and tricks from the fellow gearheads here, YouTube or even CustomTone than I have from any presets I’ve purchased.

IRs are a different story and I don’t regret any of those purchases.

Nick-O, BozoTone and FPFL like this.
  5. hippietim

hippietim Member

So after reading the instructions for 2.8 I have concluded that when the time comes to do the update, imagine @Digital Igloo or @Frank Ritchotte are standing behind you with a stick ready to smack you every time you’re about to skip a step.

[​IMG]

Hush, PDKTDK, iTwang and 13 others like this.
  6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I try to remember to save the set lists so I can just restore them.

Fireproof and Guitarzman like this.
  7. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Hey. I found a bug already. :D

8. Lele

Lele Member

There are many tips everywhere to build your own presets.
    Nevertheless, imho some are still very interesting to get:
    - Mbritt presets and IRs are excellent (for live & loud playing specially); I see that at present his website doesn't work, I hope it will be there soon again; they are the best presets that you can find and ready to play (imho)
    - Fremen presets to simulate acoustic guitars with your electric guitar
    - Delaune patches about special sounds (ambient, organ, etc.)

davecheng, drew365 and cjm254 like this.
  9. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

MBritt works fine for me now, fwiw.

Cenzo likes this.
  10. usul1978

usul1978 Member

Is there a place to buy hxfx presets ?

11. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Bought MBs preset pack the day before I picked up my Helix o_O I knew from my AmpliFire3 that it would be pure class.
    Still uses one of his IRs as my main on my most used presets.

Learned a lot from his presets and from Custom Tone too. Still ocassionally grap a preset or 2 just to see what others do and learn and tweak.

Btw, backed up my Helix yesterday: 1 min 41 sec. Then I spend 3 hours tweaking and playing so now I have to spend that 1 min and 41 sec again :D

Elric, tmuka, MIJLOVER and 3 others like this.
  12. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I go with a different approach: every time there’s an update I intentionally blow out all my presets and start from scratch.

I like to use it as an opportunity to re-evaluate, find what my ears are wanting to hear now, and experiment with new models and approaches to building presets.

Welkin, mmmaslowski, Sp8ctre and 9 others like this.
  13. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Same here.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  14. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Line 6 Support Team ready with radid fire, copy-paste answers to panicked "Why didn't the update work?" posts.

Exciting times!!!

15. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

same here. I pretty much only use 3 patches anyway - one with effects to go into my tube amps, one with an amp and the whole deal for running direct and one for acoustic and vocals.

I did just pick up a DT50 head, so I'll be playing around with that functionality some once the update comes.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  16. Antipodes

Antipodes Member

In my experience, they would only cut up vicious like this if we were so discourteous as to tell them that they are **** out of luck.

17. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I hadn't tried the MBritt presets, but I know he's very well respected in that arena, so I decided to go ahead and give them a try for the heck of it. Even if I don't dig the presets it's nice that he includes some of his IRs. It's long past memorial day, but his MEMORIAL day coupon code still worked for 25% off..hint..hint.

18. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Actually you got all of his IR's unless he have released new ones?
    I first bought his IR's before he had made the Helix presets and then when his presets came out i bought them and found out that the IR's in the preset pack was the same as the one in the IR pack.
    They are very low in volym compared to all other IR's i have so i had to run them thrue a utility tool so they match the volym to all other IR,s

MojoRisin likes this.
  19. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Excellent. That's good to know about the included IRs.

Was the low volume so much that it couldn't be dialed up with the level parameter in the IR block?

I know with most of my Ownhammer IRs I have to decrease the level by about -12dB to match levels.

20. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

You can use the level parameter but i found it easyer to match all of them with a OH IR so it will be on par with all my other presets.
    I never touch the level parameter in the IR block.

MojoRisin likes this.