Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

John Grammatico is a master

http://grammaticoamps.com/

2. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Have you tried installing it to see what it does? I can't say I paid that close attention while it was installing HX Edit, but it is possible to miss updating some of the metadata when you're building an installer. Maybe they left something reading 2.71? I'm not saying that's it, just a possibility.

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Yeah I tried and it was still 2.71. Hmm.

4. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

I updated before going to work so I'm really excited to get off and go home and play with the new features. One of my two Powercabs got stuck at 0% while updating, it stayed there for a couple of hours with nothing happening prompting me to abort the update. That killed my Powercab and it's no longer turning on. I don't see what else I could have done but to try and abort it, but of course the warranty ran out three months ago. I have a support ticket in but what a bummer.

5. Frankenzilla

Frankenzilla Member

Update was a breeze, and the new amps and drive pedals sound great. Just wanted to say thanks to Line 6.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  6. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Update went super smooth, and I'm just starting to get into the new toys! Thanks Line 6- you rock!

7. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Member

That Grammatico is very articulate. I've spent all my time with it and the new drives. Just a touch of spring from my Big Sky, a very low mix delay, and the Kinky Comp in front. Fantastic stuff.

MIJLOVER, PDKTDK and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  8. scienceguy

scienceguy Silver Supporting Member

Updated Native and Stomp with no issues. I'll wait until tomorrow to update the PC+'s, Floor and HX Effects. Right now I'm having too much fun working through the new stuff on the Stomp.

Well done, Line 6!

MIJLOVER likes this.
  9. Lady Gaia

Lady Gaia Member

I was wondering whether to jump on that particular grenade, but I’m glad to see others already have. I always run with two partitions, one with a known, stable, production release and the other with a beta OS while I’m getting confident enough to live on it.

I did likewise while at Microsoft and Apple and can’t imagine living without a safety net on my primary machine (she types from an iPad running iOS 13 - because taking one’s own advice isn’t always easy.)

MojoRisin and Fireproof like this.
  10. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

This feels like a new gear day. I am so impressed with the new additions. All the folks at Line6 have been working like crazy to get Core up and running, all the new functionality, and of course these new blocks. This might be the best update yet, the amps and effects really speak to me. Great stuff.

MIJLOVER and zematynnad like this.
  11. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

The reason I asked about what it reads in the updater is because it does initially read 2.71 when you load it, meaning it sees a connected Helix with firmware 2.71. However, if you do Help > About on HX Edit it will read 2.80. I think you know that, but just making sure I put that out there.

12. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Yeah, I have tried it multiple times, but once it's downloaded in the about it says 2.71. I'm worried about doing anything further because I don't want to mess something up

13. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

Took a break and dinner with friends, then it occurred to me that I'm on Windows 8.1. The PC+ firmware 2.00.1 is not listed for it, but is for Windows 10 and ironically for win 7... Since the win 8 flag wasn't set, the updater didn't offer it as well. Guess I'm going to have to download the firmware and do it from file with the updater, if it will allow it. Oddly, the hxe and the helix 2.80 fw were listed for 7,8,and 10... think it was just overlooked. We'll see if from file with the updater will work. Put a bug (bad choice of word) in the web master's ear to get in the win 8 section, please.

14. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Can I just start with the updater or do I download hxedit separately?

15. FPFL

FPFL Member

Followed directions, flawless upgrade of my Floor.
    Will do Native tomorrow.

16. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Update process was smooth for me. (I am on vacation and only brought my floor, will update stomp and native when I get home)

Loving the new drive pedals and the tweeds, particularly the grammatico.

I am a super reverb away from now having every single model I would ever need on the Helix.

I preordered it within a couple hours of it being released and it remains the best piece of gear I’ve ever owned.

Hats off (as per usual) to the Line 6 crew!

17. PDKTDK

PDKTDK Member

Interesting USB issue overcome:

Windows 10 user here.

The update went fine but after the successful update the laptop stopped seeing any device at all plugged in. There was a flag in the USB controller under device manager. Switched ports on secondary USB controller and device was detected.

Uninstalled the flagged controller, had device manager scan for hardware changes, it refreshed the driver, and it restored and the controller worked detected Helix.

Never had a driver issue with the controller before. It seems like the process affected the controller driver. Using a 6 year old Samsung. "Core i7 CPU"

So update issues may not be exclusive to win7 but to older hardware as well.

MojoRisin likes this.
  18. ZenArcade

ZenArcade Member

I usually just run the beta releases in a VM, but my version of Fusion is a bit behind and early betas of Catalina were a bit rough to get going in VM anyway (Catalina updates have been poor on physical). Getting used to Zsh and preparing to deploy Python to all the things (as Apple won't be shipping updated versions). Gotta give them a ton of feedback before Catalina hits GM and some of this gets locked in. iOS 13 (on iPad and Phone) has been pretty good.

But this Helix 2.8 update went just swell on Mojave 10.14.5. Great work Line 6 folks! :cool:

19. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

The bottom of HX Edit displays the firmware of the connected device, not the version of HX Edit. From the HX Edit pull-down menu, select "About HX Edit." In smaller font it should read "HX Edit 2.80.0" or something.

20. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Lol must have held my mouth right, it worked this time haha thanks for the help everyone

MojoRisin likes this.