Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

Same thing happened for me last Thursday, but used a different usb port and the update went through. My normal port stopped responding to the helix, but worked for the PC+ update. Was going out of town over the weekend for a gig, ran into a few of my go to presets that didn't work in 2.80. Reflashed the 2.80 FW with the working usb port, and it did not stall, as it did not have to totally blast the first portion of the firmware to replace 2.71. Anyway the same presets still went wonky. Ran out of time to mess with it, so I had to roll back to 2.71 and restore my backup, again with the working usb. The wonky ones on 2.80 worked again on 2.71.

Got back this afternoon, and had read about folks regaining their normal usb port with a reboot of their computer, so I tried that and connected the helix to my normal usb port, and it did recognize the helix, was able to connect to it with HXEdit again, so tomorrow when I begin trouble shooting, I should be able to do the 2.80 fw update without needing to stop midstream this time. Will probably need to recreate the wonky ones, so will need to write down the snapshot controlled parameters on those, will be a pain, but at this point, no real alternatives that I see. I have another out of town gig next week end, so will have more time to dig in this time, hopefully with better results.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Sharry

Sharry Member

I can confirm the impression for myself that the general volume is somewhat lower.
    I was brave enough after the update to play a GIG the next evening with the new version. No risk no fun.;)

But it wasn't a big deal at the sound check to increase the input gain on the mixer to have the usual volume.

MusicLaw likes this.
  3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah sure, reduce the master volume and sag for less compression. One or both :)

4. Sharry

Sharry Member

It is a known bug in Windows 7 that with excessive use of USB devices, the available USB ports are no longer properly managed.
    If you unplug all connected USB devices and reboot the PC, this could be fixed.
    There would also be utilities that can clean up duplicate USB port assignments for the same device.
    This does not work of course with devices at a hub.

5. The Trout

The Trout Member

Does the touch select feature act weirdly since 2.8? Sometimes, settings just disappear at the bottom (main screen), until I touch again a footswitch.

6. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

I should have mentioned my Windows version is 8.1, so yes that could have been a problem carried on from version 7. I kept 8.1 on my main machine, as Windows 10 dropped a key feature that I use all the time. My other PCs have 10 on them (2 desktop an a laptop) and work fine, just not the main one that I use for the helix.

Oddly enough, the port that I switched to before regaining the normal port was actually a powered hub and it worked fine.... Go figure. I wasn't expecting that, but tried it at the time figured it was closest, and if it didn't work would switch to another...

One other oddity I found last week was L6 omitted the PC plus 2.00 fw for Windows 8, but had the PC plus edit sw for 8. Figure it was a goof, so had to manually download the firmware and load it with the updater as a file. That was a PITA, but worked.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

[OT] Just out of curiosity, what feature is that?

8. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

Media Center, I record HD t.v. with a Hauppauge cable card interface. The 3rd party software available and needed for Windows 10 won't record some channels that are recorded with Media Center.

Elantric likes this.
  9. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Ah. Ugh.

10. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

:rotflmao

11. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

I'm also having problems with the expression pedal after the update. I'm kind of surprised that this didn't show up in the testing but I'm sure a fix will coming.

12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I'm not a Puerto Rican journalist. :)

The English-as-non-primary-language barrier explains a lot. The update directions in English are super-clear, but they're long and a lot of us, me at the forefront, mistakenly assume that everyone who posts here uses English as a primary language.

The update process, to me, was not difficult. Of the four biggest issues I've seen from reading posts here, two are user-errors:

1) using a USB hub, even if inside your computer and you don't know it
    2) not reading the directions THOROUGHLY
    3) lack of patience and a tendency to keep clicking things harder to make them work. Which doesn't work.
    4) Variations in Windows drivers

13. rer122504

rer122504 Supporting Member

I
    I'm an HVAC tech I can wire and install all kinds of stuff without instructions but I've been doing it over 20 years. Computer stuff and updates I read the instructions

14. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

15. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

[​IMG]

Foxmeister, cabojoe, PDKTDK and 3 others like this.
  16. denmalley

denmalley Silver Supporting Member

Thought I'd link up this question and this answer (which I was going to give also) since there was a lot of posts in between and @leftty might not have known that @Jarick was answering his question.

17. odourboy

odourboy Member

Okay, so I sucked it up and tried to update, since there's no way around it. And here I am, stuck half way through the update with my Helix screen saying "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" and the updater showing no further progress after the half-way point. Now what? Instructions say, to attempt the update again, but I'm not sure what that means... do I close the updater and restart it or what? Frack me!!! This is BS!!!

18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Did you get the dialog box with a button that said OK?

Yes, try closing and reopening the updater as a first step.

19. odourboy

odourboy Member

I did get the dialog box with a button that said OK, shich I pressed... that's as far as I got. I gave it 15 minutes and nothing. The instructions indicated to power off Hleix and move to another USB port... which I did. Nothing. I then closed the updater and rebooted my system. Now, the Helix fails to connect to my system and the updater sees nothing to update. Cycled Helix a few times. It boots showing the 2.8 firmware version then goes back to the 'Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!' screen. Helix Updater continues to show nothing.

20. Elric

Elric Member

Download the Native installer and install it over the existing installation.

kdm1218 likes this.