Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Done! No issues. It did seem like I had to tweak some levels on my existing patches but that may have been in my head. Either way it's all good. I'm blown away by the Tone Soveriegn (KOT)! Must have spent 3 hours playing with it last night running 4CM into my PRS Sonzera 50 clean channel. All I can say is WOW! What a great sounding versatile "pedal". I've never even heard one much less played a real one so I had no idea what to expect. I see myself working that into my arsenal in a big way. So many possibilites with it and it seems like you'd have to try real hard to dial up a bad tone. 2.81 was well worth the wait! I bareley scratched the surface with the Zendrive (whatever it's called) but for the little bit I messed with it, it sounded great as well.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  2. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I think this thread should be merged into the big helix one but...mostly I want to say that I really appreciate the new features that came with 2.8 and the new helix edit too.

3. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

Alternatively we could all just stop posting in this one...

FlyingsCool, Dan Desy and Greatdane like this.
  4. Kylote

Kylote Member

[​IMG]

FlyingsCool, Hush, cabojoe and 5 others like this.
  5. MaxdB

MaxdB Member

Life after 2.8 :
    all women fall for my charms, I won the lottery, no more health issues, and my wife wants me to buy more guitars..,
    Greatest update ever!

FlyingsCool, xcc, BoogieZilla and 3 others like this.
  6. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

I tried to reboot
    I also did some troubleshooting i tried to restore the backup i did before i updated to 2.81 i did it on 2.80 and the same error mess came up
    I think it has to do with loading IR or presets?
    As the mess came up around 88% of restoring presets BUT all presets is there but NO IR in that backup i restored hmm.

Edit i tried it again now all IR is there but now i dont have any of the new templates LOL i cant even load them say failed to get preset names.

Hmm i didnt do a 7&8 reset after i updated to 2.81 gonna try that and come back with a report.

I got most of my IR nr 001 and so on (As i was a Helix owner before the backup was introduced) i am safe

But if i cant restore my backups that means tons of work if i want to convert all my presets i bought and the ones i did do myself before for 2.80..

Especially since i color all the rings on the snapshots rename all pedals and i use auto engaged wah on all of them etc etc,

EDIT IT WAS USER ERROR!!
    I did a FS 7&8 reset but i dont think it is important (not sure)
    After that i tried to restore from a backup saved before v2.80 and i UNTHICKED Factory Presets and Templates setlists
    So it only restored Globals, IR, and User setlists.
    After that i could do a backup succesfully.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  8. Sharry

Sharry Member

Who reads has it easier in life. :D
    I looked routinely in the Line6 updater and found 2.81. I didn't read the whole srcoll menu but made a backup and upgraded HelixLT to 2.81.
    Then I found the update note as a whole page. (easier for me to read)
    There I found the remark: First you have to update Helix edit (and Native) and then the OS of the hardware.

Before I do something wrong again: Do I have to downgrade HelixLT to 2.80 to install HX-Edit and Native first?

9. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

No. You need the updated drivers on the computer so that it can detect the Helix after upgrade, but as long as you made that backup you have a route back if you need it.
    There is no connection between hardware and Native except when swapping patches.

10. Sharry

Sharry Member

Thanks I'll give it a try.
    I do not worry about my presets

11. Sharry

Sharry Member

Obviously I do have the last driver acc to the download list of Line 6.

12. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Haven't had time to update to 2.81 yet but did they fix it so you can copy snapshots again (in 2.80 you can copy. Only swap) ? Thanks ...

MIJLOVER likes this.
  13. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Yes now it works to copy and swap

Greatdane likes this.
  14. viden

viden Member

Short question for you helix guys.
    I'm considering buying a digitec the drop for my current rig, allowing me to do drop tunings without guitar changes / fill in as bass for a song or 2 in a set where we don't have a bass and the bass would be more important than the guitar.
    At the same time I'm thinking about switching to a helix. So here is the question: is the helix capable of doing pitch shifting in a way the drop does so it can actually be used without sounding really bad?

Thanks for your help

15. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Gotta get that update done tomorrow then. Thanks ....

16. burningyen

burningyen Member

"Really bad" is subjective, but no, the Helix can't pitch shift as cleanly as the Drop (yet).

viden likes this.
  17. hippietim

hippietim Member

I don't have a full Helix anymore so I can only speak for the HX Stomp (although I assume they're similar). For polyphonic stuff, the HX Stomp pitch shifting is pretty bad. I wouldn't use it for that purpose. You could probably get away with power chords if you use enough distortion.

viden likes this.
  18. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Helix is like jack of all trades, master at many, but not all. For me, I find the pitch shifting and reverbs to be it’s biggest weakness. I still love the Helix, but there is room for improvement.

viden likes this.
  19. Kylote

Kylote Member

You can fake it a bit with enough overdrive but certainly not ideal. If you were going to do that alot I would just run The Drop before the Helix.

viden likes this.
  20. 2pods

2pods Member

Excuse me....
    I've used Cubase off and on since v1 on the Atari ST so wouldn't be looking for a "Cubase FX" in my Helix. :boxer:p;)
    However, I've never heard what "hardened" means in this context either. :dunno