Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Or he could buy the Markv
    From ML and call it a day :)

2. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Member

Sent you a PM

JoeB63 likes this.
  3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Austin. I got your PM Frank. Thanks. I sent a reply.

4. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

So glad I got Native when I did. Great product. Love it! Looking forward to the new features in 2.8.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  5. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Man, I'd love to get your thoughts/settings/setup on the Vibe. I'm struggling to get the goods out of the Ubiq Vibe comparing to a Mini Deja Vibe.

JerEvil likes this.
  6. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

He does in my book.

tvegas99, metropolis_4 and JoeB63 like this.
  7. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Well, since I don't have a Helix here today, I can't tell you what my settings are. Plus, I've never owned a non-Helix Univibe, so can't say how it compares to the Deja Vibe or any other. I just know I like how the Univibe in the Helix sounds. Sorry.

8. jklotz

jklotz Member

Impressive, given it's only the beginning of March!

9. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Thanks, Joe. No biggy. I've got it sounding just ok. There is something, a depth, about the MDV I just can't get out of the Ubiq Vibe.

10. hippietim

hippietim Member

@Digital Igloo / @Frank Ritchotte - just curious if you happen to know if this is fixed in the upcoming 2.8 firmware. Thanks!

11. mattt67

mattt67 Member

Hi guys
    I was just messing around with the various preamp models into my amp's FX return. It's a ton of fun

BUT
    - The volumes are all over the place when you switch from one preamp model to another, which is a bit annoying when trying them out.
    - Also some preamps are much quieter than others, even with the channel volume maxed out.
    - And finally I always have a problem with the Derailed Ingrid preamp which always has some digital clipping, even at lower volume and gain levels.
    @Digital Igloo It'd be great if you guys could have a look into this for a future FW update
    Thanks

Ringleader42 likes this.
  12. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Member

Yes sir it is marked to be fixed in 2.80

BuleriaChk, burningyen and hippietim like this.
  13. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Be sure to try full amp models (obviously without the cab sim though) too. I know it sounds counterintuitive but unless you're driving your amp hard, the power amp modeling often adds to the tone in a positive way, IME.

14. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I'm thinking that depends on the amp/preamp -- e.g. Since Plexis and tweeds get much of their gain from their power amp sections, just using the preamp model into the effects loop of an amp isn't going to get you great results, unless that (real tube) poweramp is really being pushed. So using the full Helix amp model might work better.

On the other hand, for a model of an amp that gets most, or all, of its gain from it preamp section, just using the Helix preamp might be your best bet.

Running into a clean power amp, like a SD Powerstage or a Fryette PowerStation (unless it's cranked), you'll almost always be better off with the full amp model.

3dognate and BoogieZilla like this.
  15. mattt67

mattt67 Member

Hey
    I don't agree with you. All the preamps have a master control, so you can still get some dirt from your plexi or deluxe. Of course if you play at low volume it won't feel the same as a 100w cranked plexi. I think I get some great plexi and tweed tones with the preamp models, especially clean and crunch. I struggle a bit more with the higher gain preamps which need more EQing and sound a bit less realistic in my experience.
    I have tried the full amp models (without cab) with my amps and was not really convinced. But it all depends on the power section like you said.

16. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Right but one think people fail to realize that with product like a helix thinking more like an engineer is more useful than if you just use an amp and rely on FOH or recording engineers.

17. josetxu

josetxu Member

What Fractal? I have an AX8 and it's development is completely stopped since half a year ago and it doesn't seem we are going to get anymore.

maxx77 likes this.
  18. MikeDV

MikeDV Supporting Member

Funny, I've had both - now have a Helix - after awhile, I got sick of the Fractal updates. Besides each update and new physical model sounding "more 3D", I never really heard any improvement that did me any good, only changes. They all have their pros/cons. I end up tweaking every single one to sound like "My Sound", it ends up being a Groundhog Day exercise into EQ, messing with outputs, fooling with other gear to get to the same place. I love to be able to play virtually (pun-ish) any amp that exists, but only really enjoy or would use one or two. If I could afford it and had the room, I probably would own every amp that exists - and I have owned literally dozens of them too. But a huge pile of them would be covered in dust after a workout or two with them. My preference today after owning every single modeler version save the latest Axe is the Helix (along with some other stuff). Doesn't make it better or best, just works right for me. Once the sound is there, then weight, reliability, cost, ability to work well consistently on gigs and other functional stuff becomes important. Some folks like it, but the ability to now adjust the reflection time and db's of the third slapback regeneration in Merlin's Magical Delay model is lost on my tiny brain, along with the more 3D thing (I always wonder when it gets to 4D) in the latest iteration of the brand new model of an amp I've never even heard. Gary Moore's lead tone - I look for that vibe in every single amp or modeler. Every single modeler or amp can get a version, every single one close - given it's me and not him - so the latest/greatest firmware update every gd 9 days is just a hassle for me to get back to the same place. Players that kill using a Helix, a Fractal, a POD, straight into an amp, straight into a PA - all piss me off because I can't be as good a player, but I"m over it. I'm trying to spend more time playing. Folks that are smarter and more talented and can enjoy the tweaking/downloading along with being a player, cool. I'll follow along and look, listen and learn. It's awesome to see what works for others, and compare and contrast what I do. That's why I'm here spewing word salad. I like Ralph's strawberry ice cream. I'm not pissed anyone likes Breyer's chocolate. Nowadays, I'm happy for them too.

19. hippietim

hippietim Member

Thanks Frank.

20. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu Member

I mean their flagship products.