Helix 2.8?

Lady Gaia

I wish Line 6 just rolled out an update every week like Fractal. Just fix bugs as they happen and make everyone feel like you just constantly bust ass to make weekly updates
As a lifelong software developer, I’ve seen this mentality lead to putting out software releases with less time and attention to qualification because:
  1. You can “always just fix it in the next release”, and
  2. Qualifying fifty releases a year is literally ten times as expensive and time consuming as qualifying five releases - unless you cut corners
Automated test coverage can help minimize the impact of #2, but you’d be amazed what can slip through.

The strategy is probably really appealing to hobbyists (like me!) who have more active engagement with their hobby in the form of constant updates even if bugs come and go with some regularity. For a touring professional it would be a nightmare.

DaveDaveDave

SO while we are killing time waiting for 2.8 = what type of delay, and what settings, do you guys like to use for a lead/solo setting. Looking for something general/generic that is NOT tied to song tempo, and something that's subtle for a bit of depth, not over-the-top like 80's use of delay. IF that makes sense.
My goto is Elephant man, with the depth set pretty low.
However, IMO, the trick to keeping delay subtle *is* to tie it to the songs tempo - mine are always set to 1/4 instead of a fixed time. I *always* tap it in, because my drummer isn't a drum machine. Also, I use EXP 3 to fade in the mix parameter for delays and reverbs, so I can season-to-taste on the fly.

MIJLOVER

Please no, I really don't want to update my firmware every week. Or every month.

2 times a year is enough, in my opinion.
It doesn't matter that much to me personally, but 4 times a year seems to be a good compromise. And I think that is how it will be in the coming releases, with Core being more or less finalized. Of course it depends if other big, time consuming and foundation altering stuff is in the pipeline.

I'm still finding stuff I haven't experimented enough with, so I'm fine waiting, though of course there are some cool things in the next update I'm looking forward to, including the Powercab control and the KOT and Tweed amps. Good times, indeed :)

Slapshot1977

Supporting Member
I hear you, but I prefer a clean release to avoid headaches.
That’s merely an illusion, aka dumb strategy.
Let them put out bug free updates, and only for features they intend to release.
I hope you are not serious :)
As a lifelong software developer, I’ve seen this mentality lead to putting out software releases with less time and attention to qualification because:
  1. You can “always just fix it in the next release”, and
  2. Qualifying fifty releases a year is literally ten times as expensive and time consuming as qualifying five releases - unless you cut corners
Automated test coverage can help minimize the impact of #2, but you’d be amazed what can slip through.

The strategy is probably really appealing to hobbyists (like me!) who have more active engagement with their hobby in the form of constant updates even if bugs come and go with some regularity. For a touring professional it would be a nightmare.
I’m kidding

Jugghaid

This update with the DT-50 integration has probably kept me from buying 3 amps. I still have my DT-50 and wanna play with it extensively before dropping the coin on another head.

Thank you Line6 for saving me probably about $4k. :D

Fireproof

Supporting Member
So what is the best guess for when it will be ready?
No one knows for sure...BUT you asked for a “best guess” - so here goes:

They said it will be released this Spring, which technically ends June 21.
They’ve already verified that (closed) beta users have it.

So I’m ASSuming they are on track, will not find any show-stopper bugs, and will release it sometime mid-June.

Happy Father’s Day to us!

hydroquebec

I've been looking at the Lexicon PCM80/81 for a while. Just hear me out for a second. I just really fell in love with the idea of how you program effects on that thing. Don't laught at me, I just got into guitars like five years ago, and only in the past two years or so did I really decide I wanna try to get good. So there's just so much to learn and there's just a ton of stuff that's dawning on me all the time. So I've been using effects since day one of owning an electric, but I never really thought about how they are made. So fast forward to today and I kinda know a little more about the history of effects, and the structure of digital effects, and it would be cool to try and program effects from scratch using something like a PCM.
The PCM80/81 is one of the best multi-effects + reverbs ever designed. I would absolutely encourage you to pick one up. You could easily patch it into the Helix using the loops, but do it in stereo, and at line level. Set the machine to Concert Hall and you're off.

Fresiki

The PCM80/81 is one of the best multi-effects + reverbs ever designed. I would absolutely encourage you to pick one up. You could easily patch it into the Helix using the loops, but do it in stereo, and at line level. Set the machine to Concert Hall and you're off.
I actually just recently changed my rig around and that left two mono FX loops on the Helix available. It's as if some higher power is leading me. The PCM81 is high up there on my wants list. Gonna be a little while before I can afford to get one, but that's probably my next purchase yes :D

hydroquebec

I actually just recently changed my rig around and that left two mono FX loops on the Helix available. It's as if some higher power is leading me. The PCM81 is high up there on my wants list. Gonna be a little while before I can afford to get one, but that's probably my next purchase yes :D
Ah, okay. Well if you're limited to mono operation, I'd skip the PCM. Lexicons are built for stereo.

Trending Topics