Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Rayf

Rayf Member

Tuesday what?

2. the swede

the swede Member

Tuesdays are the best firmware release days :)

So i say... tuesday! But i wont say wich tuesday :D

Honestly i dont know anything anyway. But this thread is about anticipation so lets just be happy and be positive about it all.

LordByron likes this.
  3. Rayf

Rayf Member

I'm in agreement. In fact I've seen a little more activity from Digital Igloo in the last couple of days. He's been pretty quiet up to this point. I take that to mean they're getting closer.

LordByron likes this.
  4. the swede

the swede Member

What i really would like that they fixed though... is when trying new stuff and messing around with presets, i would be really happy if snapshots and the assigned parameters didnt just dissapear when i change a cab (A+C block). So annoying... even if i duplicate the preset just to keep the preset safe, the new preset gets all messed up when flippin cabs.

Lele, Ericjutsu, justinbunte and 5 others like this.
  5. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

I also noticed this. Hope they fixed it too. Found it happens when pushing the joystick to bring up the list of cabs,but not when rotating the joystick without pushing it through the different cabs...

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

Helix owners can never be accused being quiet about our gear - nearly 80 pages of speculation about a firmware release!

Ericjutsu and LordByron like this.
  7. leftty

leftty Member

So let me see if I have this right, software releases are normally on Tuesday or Thursday right. If so Line 6 has only 3 days left to make the deadline.

the swede likes this.
  8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

They could release on a Wednesday too, but keep in mind this is not a deadline.

Sam and Ben are not sitting with a ticking countdown clock that ominously rings zero on 5pm PST on Thursday, June 20. They gave themselves a loose timeframe to accommodate for when they estimated would be enough time to complete all of the added features/content and squash all of the blocker bugs such a massive update would introduce. It's not only massive in terms of content, but also in the way the code is being revamped from the ground up for Helix Core.

It's feature complete, and they are simply debugging now based on what the beta testers have found. Assume they will not finish until well into July or maybe even August at this point, and then you can just be pleasantly surprised instead of anxious and disappointed.

Sharry, Dan Desy, LordByron and 2 others like this.
  9. PDKTDK

PDKTDK Member

NOOOOOOooooooo!

MIJLOVER likes this.
  10. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I swear I can smell something baking!

LordByron likes this.
  11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Heh. I prefer that than to spend tomorrow and next Tuesday-Thursday chewing my nails to a nub and wearing out my F5 key.

We know it's soon, but not even Line 6 knows beyond that. They literally release it when the blocking bugs are squashed. No way to know that exact day in advance.

PDKTDK likes this.
  12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Hurry up February!

arislaf and LordByron like this.
  13. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Shhh. That's when 2.85 was due, but no one was supposed to know!!!

LordByron and JiveTurkey like this.
  14. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

A good example would be if you have a preset that has a pitch shifter that you use to detune your guitar to e-flat. By default it is turned off in the snapshots of your patch because you are playing songs in standard tuning. But for a particular song you need to play the song a half-step down. So if you toggle the pitch block on using an external pedal it will turn on for that snapshot. But when you try to change to a different snapshot (say a snapshot you use for leads to boost volume and add gain), the pitch shifter will turn off because the default state is off. The feature mentioned would keep the pitch block on even though the default for the snapshot is off. Hope this helps.

Fresiki, LordByron and BoogieZilla like this.
  15. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Last time they said "spring" it was released 2/7 so it might be released in august who knows and i bet it will includes some minor bugs aswell

16. frankg11

frankg11 Member

Depending upon what I can control with the variax and 2.8. A new guitar may be in my future

17. CautionHot

CautionHot Member

They'll probably do the release at the beginning of next week. If they respected their schedule. It's goes always bad to release something to production during the week-end

18. Sharry

Sharry Member

If that happened, then it happened. No tragedy.
    But then it would be fair to make a short statement that the release date had to be postponed.

19. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

It’s been so long since they announced 2.8. I forgot some of the coming features. Can someone repost the list here? Thanks!

20. pezib

pezib Member

Some are missing but the core is there :

New Amp Models (8)

Name TBD Nrm, based on* the classic 1958 Fender® 5C3 Tweed Deluxe
    Name TBD Brt, based on* the classic 1958 Fender® 5C3 Tweed Deluxe
    Name TBD Jump, based on* the classic 1958 Fender® 5C3 Tweed Deluxe
    Name TBD Nrm, based on* the modern 2016 Grammatico® LaGrange
    Name TBD Brt, based on* the modern 2016 Grammatico® LaGrange
    Name TBD Jump, based on* the modern 2016 Grammatico® LaGrange
    Name TBD Gain 2, based on* the Gain 2 channel of the Revv® Generator 120 (other channels will come later)
    Name TBD, based on* the Ampeg® SVT-4 Pro

New Effects Models (7)

Distortion > Name TBD (Mono, Stereo), based on the Hermida Zendrive
    Distortion > Name TBD (Mono, Stereo), based on the Analogman King of Tone
    Distortion > Name TBD (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI V1
    Distortion > Name TBD (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Ampeg Scrambler Bass Overdrive
    Filter > Name TBD (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Moog Moogerfooger Murf Filter
    EQ > Shelf, Line 6 Original
    EQ > Tilt, Line 6 Original

New Features (Firmware 2.80)

Variax String Level—Helix can now remotely adjust the level of each guitar string on a connected Variax independently. From the Input > Multi or Input > Variax block, press PAGE > three times and turn Knobs 1-6 to adjust each string’s level. Just like with any amp, cab, or effect, String Level can be quickly assigned to footswitches, expression pedals, or even Snapshots. "Wait. You mean I can assign the expression pedal to swell in the volume of strings 3, 4, 5, and 6? And I can turn down the top two strings for the verse (Snapshot 1) and bring them back in for the chorus (Snapshot 2)? And if the high E is too shrill I can back its volume down to 82%?" Yes. "That's pretty nuts." Yes it is
    PowerCab Plus remote support—Helix can now remotely adjust parameters in up to two L6 LINK-connected PowerCab Plus modeling speaker cabs. When one PowerCab Plus is connected via L6 LINK (110-ohm AES/EBU cable), it receives a mono signal from Helix; when two PowerCab Plus amps are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, the first cab in the chain receives the left signal and the second cab receives the right signal. From the Output > Multi or Output > Digital block, press PAGE > to view page 2 and turn Knob 2 (PowerCab Select) to choose which PowerCab you'd like to control (or both, for stereo). Just like with any amp, cab, or effect, PowerCab Plus parameters can be quickly assigned to footswitches, expression pedals, or even Snapshots
    DT25/DT50 remote support—Helix can now remotely adjust parameters for up to two L6 LINK-connected DT25 or DT50 amplifiers. When one DT25 or DT50 is connected via L6 LINK (110-ohm AES/EBU cable), it receives a mono signal from Helix; when two DT25 or DT50 amplifiers are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, the first cab in the chain receives the left signal and the second cab receives the right signal. From the Output > Multi or Output > Digital block, press PAGE > to view page 4 and turn Knob 2 (DT Select) to choose which DT amp you'd like to control (or both, for stereo). Just like with any amp, cab, or effect, DT25/DT50 parameters can be quickly assigned to footswitches, expression pedals, or even Snapshots
    Command Center > Hotkeys—The Command Center can now send QWERTY hotkeys (keyboard shortcuts with or without modifiers such as SHIFT, OPTION/ALT, and COMMAND) to your Mac or PC via USB. Helix can now control virtually any software ever made, including DAWs, DJ software, lighting software, media players, video software, browsers, photo editing software, video games, Powerpoint, Excel… If you can control it with your computer keyboard, you can now control it with your feet... or preset or snapshot recall. From the Command Center screen, select a footswitch and turn Knob 1 (Command) to select “Hotkey.” Turn knobs 2-5 to select the desired keystroke. If the keystroke doesn’t have modifiers, leave knobs 2, 3, and 4 set to “None”. IMPORTANT! Note that the first time you update Helix/HX to 2.80, your Mac or PC may ask what kind of keyboard you have connected. Just ignore this and close the window
    New Software Remote Templates for controlling DAWs, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and other applications via USB. Press PRESET, move the joystick left to select the Setlist column, select 8 TEMPLATES, and press the joystick. Software remote templates begin at 06B. Note that you can copy and paste all hotkeys into other presets from the Command Center page's Action panel
    Per-Block Snapshot Bypass—Select a block and press ACTION. Turn Knob 5 (Snapshot Bypass) to "Off" to disable snapshot control of that block's bypass state. "On" remains the default for all blocks
    Snapshot Toggle—The new Global Settings > Preferences > Snapshot Reselect parameter determines whether pressing the current Snapshot footswitch reloads that snapshot ("Reload", the default) or toggles between it and the previously selected snapshot ("Toggle Prev")
    Swap Up/Down Switches—On Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, or HX Effects, touch the Up and Down switches together for one second, and then press Knob 6 (OK) [or FS6 on HX Effects]. The up and down switches are now swapped. You may also manually set these from Global Settings > Footswitches > Swap FS1/FS7 [Swap FS1/FS4 on HX Effects]
    Command Center > Momentary CC Toggle/CV Toggle—An additional Type parameter has been added to Amp Control and CC Toggle messages when set to footswitches (and CV Toggles in Helix Floor and Rack/Control)
    Tempo Indicator—Press TAP/TUNER to enter a new tempo. The scribble strip (Performance View on Helix LT) briefly displays the entered tempo
    EXP Indicator—Helix Floor only: Move the built-in expression pedal. The EXP scribble strip displays a position indicator (0 ~ 100%). In addition, a new Global Settings > Displays > Pedal Position Display parameter lets you determine whether the indicator is temporary (disappears after 1 second, the default) or remains visible
    Pedal Edit Mode Enhancements—Pedal Edit Mode now lets you tweak Input and Output block parameters with your feet, including Variax String volume, PowerCab Plus Remote parameters, and DT25/DT50 parameters

New Features (Helix Native 1.80)

HX Unity—Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, HX Effects, and HX Stomp all now live within the same ecosystem. Using multiple windows within HX Edit and/or multiple instances within the Helix Native plug-in, both blocks and entire presets can be freely dragged and dropped or copied and pasted between units. Aside from a few obvious caveats (like six blocks in HX Stomp or effects only in HX Effects), all Helix and HX products can now share the same content
    Hardware Compatibility Modes—Helix Native can now reflect the signal flow and model set of all Helix and HX hardware devices, so transferring presets to and from your DAW is even easier. In addition, Hardware Compatibility can be disabled, so the simultaneous model count is now limited only by the speed of your computer. From the lower left-corner of the plug-in window, click your User Name and select "Preferences..." From the Hardware Compatibility Mode pull-down menu, select the desired hardware (or none at all).
    Undo/Redo—From the Edit pull-down menu, select Undo (Shortcut: Command-Z) or Redo (Shortcut: Shift-Command-Z) to undo or redo the most recent edit
    Okay, this one isn't technically a feature, but Helix Native is now $99.99 US for all registered owners of Helix Floor, Helix Rack, Helix LT, HX Effects, and HX Stomp

mmmaslowski, Hush and Robot B9 like this.