Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

Since there was no release date, no statement is required.

Dave Merrill and Dan Desy like this.
  2. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

They did say it will be released in the Spring of 2019. Spring ends on June 22. So they did set an expected time period for the release. It would be reasonable to suggest a short statement if release in the Spring of 2019 no longer looks feasible.

3. partytrain

I’m aware of the GENERAL TIMEFRAME they provided. But it’s june 13th. So a little early to be asking for an official statement about a delay, no?

4. PDKTDK

PDKTDK Member

5. the swede

the swede Member

PDKTDK likes this.
  6. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

So basically it just lets you exclude certain pedals in the chain from the snapshot feature altogether? that makes more sense now. Thanks for clearing it up a bit... ;)

John Mark Painter likes this.
  7. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Madmax25, jvstrat, Rayf and 3 others like this.
  8. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, based on that info, they can hardly make it this week. We'll see about next week.

Reading that thread though, makes me understand why DI doesn't like to hand out there, and why I don't myself :confused:

Looking forward to getting PC+ control :)

Droopy_TX and PDKTDK like this.
  9. The Funk

The Funk Member

As mentioned, Beta’s are a series. He mentioned “this morning’s beta” which means the code compiled in the morning for testing. There is essentially no infrastructure required for releasing it. A notification is pushed to the HX edit and the file is put on a server for download, so it can happen in minutes after the candidate is approved for release. My guess is they release a beta daily and track bug fixes. When the bugs are gone, it’s approved and released quickly.

mikah912 and MIJLOVER like this.
  10. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

True, but I think I remember them saying that they always soak the final candidate for a couple of days, just in case. So either way, I wouldn't expect them to release a beta today and get it out the very same day. More like next week. But I'd love to be proven wrong :)

mikah912 and PDKTDK like this.
  11. PDKTDK

PDKTDK Member

I didn’t mean to imply that this was the first beta going out. If I did.

12. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

You previously said that "since there was no release date no statement is required". I disagree with that. There was a stated specific release time period, and if (as seems likely) they won't make the release during that period, then I think a statement to their customers would be a good idea. It seems like you disagree.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  13. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

They provided an estimate, which was explicitly NOT a promise or a contract written in stone. They're not in breach of anything regardless of when it ships.

And this exactly conversation is why they're reluctant to tell us even what they have.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    partytrain and mikah912 like this.
  14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Entitled positions such as this are why it's my opinion Line 6 and others shouldn't announce forthcoming releases at all, just drop them when they're ready.

Madmax25, R3deemed, PDKTDK and 2 others like this.
  15. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Heck I'm now hoping it gets delayed from the "expected" release date.

Madmax25, cabojoe, Droopy_TX and 2 others like this.
  16. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I completely agree. There's no Service Level Agreement we as customer entered into with Line6 regarding feature enhancements, or even bug fixes. To be literal, we bought the product as is, with the code available at the time of purchase. Any enhancements or bug fixes that Line 6 chooses to release are entirely a bonus. Sure it's two-way bonus that pays back Line 6 through consumer enthusiasm, good will, building brand loyalty, etc., but it's a bonus none the less. The lack of patience many of us in this forum demonstrate is amusing to me. It will ship when Line 6 says it's ready, and not a minute earlier. I'm perfectly ok with that. Far more important things to worry about IMHO.

17. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Exactly.

The existence of 2.9 and 3.0 are openly known, but I wouldn't say another word or even hint about their expected delivery timeframes or features within, nor would I talk about a single other firmware or desired feature afterward.

Will Chen and partytrain like this.
  18. partytrain

Right, a release PERIOD not DATE. They are still in that PERIOD, so no statement necessary. And even if it’s after the arbitrary period, what are you going to do about it? Go to fractal ? Go for it. They just dumped a product after 3 years of support (just to give some perspective to the whiney b**ches on this thread). You’ll be back.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    ironman28 and PDKTDK like this.
  19. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Line6 from the start said that regular updates was part of the product, so I think to just call customers who are not happy with waiting 8 months (so far) for an update "entitled" is a bit much.

The lack of communication IMO always ends up in frustration. It's what you see all the time on this forum, just look for threads about guitars taking too long to be made, amps, etc, the lack of communication is always the main thing, not really the delay itself. A more regular update on the new firmware status would be cool and make everyone less anxious. I also think that Line6 could throw a few bones for us customers, like new free IR's, make available presets from famous guys like Bumblefoot who seems to be using Helix regularly, etc.

Madmax25, Inerzia, hotrats73 and 2 others like this.
  20. drew365

drew365 Supporting Member

I don't load an update for about 7 to 10 days after it's released. Which means my next update will probably be 2.8.1. I guess I'm the patient type. Or I'm very paranoid.

Madmax25, Jugghaid and MusicLaw like this.