Helix 2.8?

tonyhay

Silver Supporting Member
Since there was no release date, no statement is required.
They did say it will be released in the Spring of 2019. Spring ends on June 22. So they did set an expected time period for the release. It would be reasonable to suggest a short statement if release in the Spring of 2019 no longer looks feasible.

partytrain

They did say it will be released in the Spring of 2019. Spring ends on June 22. So they did set an expected time period for the release. It would be reasonable to suggest a short statement if release in the Spring of 2019 no longer looks feasible.
I’m aware of the GENERAL TIMEFRAME they provided. But it’s june 13th. So a little early to be asking for an official statement about a delay, no?

caledoneus

A good example would be if you have a preset that has a pitch shifter that you use to detune your guitar to e-flat. By default it is turned off in the snapshots of your patch because you are playing songs in standard tuning. But for a particular song you need to play the song a half-step down. So if you toggle the pitch block on using an external pedal it will turn on for that snapshot. But when you try to change to a different snapshot (say a snapshot you use for leads to boost volume and add gain), the pitch shifter will turn off because the default state is off. The feature mentioned would keep the pitch block on even though the default for the snapshot is off. Hope this helps.
So basically it just lets you exclude certain pedals in the chain from the snapshot feature altogether? that makes more sense now. Thanks for clearing it up a bit... ;)

phil_m

Supporting Member

MIJLOVER

Well based on digital igloos post over at the Line 6 forms yesterday implying that a beta was released yesterday…

Probably not this week...not expecting next week.

https://line6.com/support/topic/46796-helix-firmware-280/?do=findComment&comment=298744
Yeah, based on that info, they can hardly make it this week. We'll see about next week.

Reading that thread though, makes me understand why DI doesn't like to hand out there, and why I don't myself :confused:

Looking forward to getting PC+ control :)

The Funk

Yeah, based on that info, they can hardly make it this week. We'll see about next week.

Reading that thread though, makes me understand why DI doesn't like to hand out there, and why I don't myself :confused:

Looking forward to getting PC+ control :)
As mentioned, Beta’s are a series. He mentioned “this morning’s beta” which means the code compiled in the morning for testing. There is essentially no infrastructure required for releasing it. A notification is pushed to the HX edit and the file is put on a server for download, so it can happen in minutes after the candidate is approved for release. My guess is they release a beta daily and track bug fixes. When the bugs are gone, it’s approved and released quickly.

MIJLOVER

As mentioned, Beta’s are a series. He mentioned “this morning’s beta” which means the code compiled in the morning for testing. There is essentially no infrastructure required for releasing it. A notification is pushed to the HX edit and the file is put on a server for download, so it can happen in minutes after the candidate is approved for release. My guess is they release a beta daily and track bug fixes. When the bugs are gone, it’s approved and released quickly.
True, but I think I remember them saying that they always soak the final candidate for a couple of days, just in case. So either way, I wouldn't expect them to release a beta today and get it out the very same day. More like next week. But I'd love to be proven wrong :)

tonyhay

Silver Supporting Member
I’m aware of the GENERAL TIMEFRAME they provided. But it’s june 13th. So a little early to be asking for an official statement about a delay, no?
You previously said that "since there was no release date no statement is required". I disagree with that. There was a stated specific release time period, and if (as seems likely) they won't make the release during that period, then I think a statement to their customers would be a good idea. It seems like you disagree.

Dave Merrill

They provided an estimate, which was explicitly NOT a promise or a contract written in stone. They're not in breach of anything regardless of when it ships.

And this exactly conversation is why they're reluctant to tell us even what they have.

Last edited:

Will Chen

You previously said that "since there was no release date no statement is required". I disagree with that. There was a stated specific release time period, and if (as seems likely) they won't make the release during that period, then I think a statement to their customers would be a good idea. It seems like you disagree.
Entitled positions such as this are why it's my opinion Line 6 and others shouldn't announce forthcoming releases at all, just drop them when they're ready.

Monstercastle

Supporting Member
Entitled positions such as this are why it's my opinion Line 6 and others shouldn't announce forthcoming releases at all, just drop them when they're ready.
I completely agree. There's no Service Level Agreement we as customer entered into with Line6 regarding feature enhancements, or even bug fixes. To be literal, we bought the product as is, with the code available at the time of purchase. Any enhancements or bug fixes that Line 6 chooses to release are entirely a bonus. Sure it's two-way bonus that pays back Line 6 through consumer enthusiasm, good will, building brand loyalty, etc., but it's a bonus none the less. The lack of patience many of us in this forum demonstrate is amusing to me. It will ship when Line 6 says it's ready, and not a minute earlier. I'm perfectly ok with that. Far more important things to worry about IMHO.

mikah912

Exactly.

The existence of 2.9 and 3.0 are openly known, but I wouldn't say another word or even hint about their expected delivery timeframes or features within, nor would I talk about a single other firmware or desired feature afterward.

partytrain

Right, a release PERIOD not DATE. They are still in that PERIOD, so no statement necessary. And even if it’s after the arbitrary period, what are you going to do about it? Go to fractal ? Go for it. They just dumped a product after 3 years of support (just to give some perspective to the whiney b**ches on this thread). You’ll be back.

Last edited:

Tito83

Line6 from the start said that regular updates was part of the product, so I think to just call customers who are not happy with waiting 8 months (so far) for an update "entitled" is a bit much.

The lack of communication IMO always ends up in frustration. It's what you see all the time on this forum, just look for threads about guitars taking too long to be made, amps, etc, the lack of communication is always the main thing, not really the delay itself. A more regular update on the new firmware status would be cool and make everyone less anxious. I also think that Line6 could throw a few bones for us customers, like new free IR's, make available presets from famous guys like Bumblefoot who seems to be using Helix regularly, etc.

Trending Topics