Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

No, it is not a contract. All it was, was a comment made to customers by Line 6 about what would happen, and when. In fact, they made quite a bid deal of it at NAMM. Nobody compelled them to give the 'during Spring' comment, and you're right...they don't have to do anything at all. I guess my point though it that they did say what they said, and they have a great relationship with their customer base. Good communication about the update (if it is delayed outside of the indicated timeframe) would be consistent with their good reputation. That is really all there is to it.

2. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

How is that 'entitled'? I'm just stating what would be consistent with good communication with customers.

3. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Why all the negative speculation when the release isn’t even late?

:crazy

xcc and The Trout like this.
  4. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

The kids in the back of the car are hungry and have to pee and want to know if we are there yet.

Shh or Dad will turn this car around right now and stop pushing your brother.

5. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Dude, chill. This is not a debate, I was just making a joke. But let's be honest here... Would you really call the updates regular if they came up once a year?

6. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

How exactly does it “look like” they won’t meet that? What insider info do you have regarding that?

7. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Apple can communicate that way precisely because they have those development resources (and more importantly, testing resources) siloed off in fairly formidable teams that can help to ensure a rather predictable release schedule.

Line 6, on the other hand, has a tiny handful of gents responding as flexibly as they can to bug reports coming in from a much smaller pool of beta testers. They also have more current SKUs to support than Apple does for a specific platform. They obviously still have time to address whatever current blocking bugs exist, then soak and release this before June 21. That's why they're not saying "Sorry, guys.....it's going to be delayed".

It very well might not be. When it looks like all hope is lost of getting it out before next Thursday, DI will make mention of it.

8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Predictable frequency (once a year) would be the very definition of "regular", wouldn't it?

spindizzy and partytrain like this.
  9. the swede

the swede Member

Nahw... its so cute when you all get winded up like this :D

10. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

I’m the wrong one to ask. I buy for what the product is, not what it might be. But yes, that’s regular. Christmas comes at a regular time. Once a year.

11. Tito83

Tito83 Member

If you think having sex regularly is once a year, I feel sorry for your better half. :bonk:Devil:banana

:hide2:hide

arislaf likes this.
  12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

13. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I know you're joking (badly), but there's no comparison. Some things need to be regular, but not frequent (medical exams after 40, dental appointments, taxes prepared, etc.). This is one of them.

arislaf likes this.
  14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Considering they are overhauling the system code, I could definitely see some delays in this release. I'd imagine there is more potential for issues with devices as well as impacting all of the current products.

I would also expect that, with this code standardization, future releases could be streamlined and quicker.

Frankly, I'm surprised this release isn't 3.0. Usually a significant code rewrite like this would call for a new version.

R3deemed and MIJLOVER like this.
  15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

There are other reasons for that...

[​IMG]

16. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Also, this just reminded me of the most groanworthy James Bond line of all time, spoken to "Dr. Christmas Jones," the totally believable nuclear physicist played by Denise Richards. (!)

BoogieZilla and partytrain like this.
  17. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

As someone who works in tech, I would side with L6 on this issue. Line 6 is under no obligation to provide you with timelines, teasers, or anything else. Regular updates is a term with a broad and variable definition. One update a year is still a regular update.

Go take a walk.

wilkes, R3deemed and cap10kirk like this.
  18. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Phil you are such a tease.

19. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Exactly my point. Regular means different things in different situations. If you went once a year to the mom and pop store near you you'd never call yourself a regular customer, would you? 8 months is a bit long, people are getting anxious, but I don't see anyone calling L6 names or anything, I don't get what's the big deal.

Who said they were under any type of obligation? You're absolutely correct. But I think it's in their best interest to keep their customers/fan base happy, isn't it? I just said what I think would help there, I didn't and would not in anyway imply they were under obligation to do any of it. Maybe you'd be more calm and read my post more carefully if you took a walk regularly... Not once a year though ;)

20. Rayf

Rayf Member

Stop it. The 2.9 thread is growing by the day. I can't take another thread devoted to a firmware update that doesn't exist yet. Who am I kidding. I'll go ahead and start a Helix 3.0 thread in a few minutes.

MIJLOVER and jaded_musician like this.