Helix 2.8?

Tito83

Again, they're doing their best to add stuff as they can. As part of a big corporation with a managed budget, however, there are generally only two ways to get the green light and money thrown at IT resources:

1) Knock down bugs to placate existing customers
2) Develop new revenue-generating products and services

Anything outside of that is going to get the kibbosh pretty quickly. If Line 6 just did #1, the firmware updates would be feature-bare and generally spartan. So they do #2, hence all of the cool as HX family extensions we've gotten in the last 36 months.

But that expansion adds complexity, which would normally slow updates to a crawl or piecemeal them. That's way worse. Just ask AX8 users who always saw updates for Axe-FX 2, then had to wait to see when/if it would ever drip down to their unit. I think they're still waiting on a "final" Ares update that the II got before heading off into the sunset, actually....

Helix Core is the way around that, but it takes work. Once it's done, tho....this platform should be able to add across a ton of SKUs in a....regular cadence.
I agree with a every word.

There's the side that's getting a bit anxious about the new firmware and are asking about it, and the other one who seem to be angry at them because they sound entitled in someway. All I'm addressing is this situation, just suggested a different approach to deal with it. I'm not saying Line6 should work faster or do more, nothing like that.

Dan Desy

Mom and Dad travel for a month, you're home alone.

- Son, you washed the dishes and took out the trash?

- Regularly!

They arrive and the sink is full, garbage all over the place...

- You said you did the dishes and the trash regularly!

- Who's definition of regular are you using? Once a year is still regular, you know?

Id be getting my ass kicked for the next couple of weeks - actually regularly.
Depends on the impedance of the sink, obviously!

Now you guys, cut it out. What are you all proving? Absolutely nothing. And everybody else is just excited about 2.8.

Jarick

Colored text is hell on us colorblind people. Why do you hate us so much?
I guess you could say it all started when I was a young boy. My parents had just taken me to the theater, and as we were walking back to the car, we were approached by a strange man wearing red and green plaid. He screamed something about needing money to fight the polychromacy. When my father refused, he shot them both down and ran off. I was left an orphan in the care of our butler...

jaded_musician

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I guess you could say it all started when I was a young boy. My parents had just taken me to the theater, and as we were walking back to the car, we were approached by a strange man wearing red and green plaid. He screamed something about needing money to fight the polychromacy. When my father refused, he shot them both down and ran off. I was left an orphan in the care of our butler...
Now you have the blues

partytrain

Realistically though, Helix belongs to a product niche that regular (will everyone be happier if I use frequent instead?) updates is pretty much expected. And we all know you want that also, because you want happy customers. Like a movie channel, maybe their catalog is cool, but I think it's expected of them to add new stuff regularly, isn't it? Even though you never really had a written document to force them to do so. As such, I think it's reasonable to imagine a person can buy a product for what it does today AND for what it might do in the future - both at the same time. Isn't it?
So basically we have the top 3 modeling platforms (not including Kemper since I feel like a profiler is a different category.). When you say frequent updates are expected, you are thinking about Fractal, because Line 6 and Atomic are much slower. But if you were to compare the content of the updates themselves, you’d find that they are all very similar. For instance, Line 6 is working on an update that has a handful of new amps, and completely revamps the software. That’s a major update. The last Atomic update added some amps and revamped their entire modeling algorithm, again major update. Fractal’s almost weekly updates? “Updated default value for bright cap on 5e3 model” etc. It was pointed out earlier in the thread that line 6 has actually added more than fractal over the last year. So raw numbers or frequency of the updates doesn’t come close to telling the story.

FPFL

Fractal could stop adding amps now and it would take several years for Line6 to catch up at current rates.
They are that far "ahead", no of that mention though.

Understand, this whole comparison is silly nonsense to me; my two platforms of choice are Helix Floor and Fractal AFIII so I'm not looking for a 'winner' in either case.
I just don't get poking at another platform b/c your fav is probably going to be late vs expectations with a small update.

We are all spoiled. We live in amazing times. Both companies do great stuff.

Darkness

You win. Well played sir.

mikah912

Fractal could stop adding amps now and it would take several years for Line6 to catch up at current rates.
They are that far "ahead", no of that mention though.

Understand, this whole comparison is silly nonsense to me; my two platforms of choice are Helix Floor and Fractal AFIII so I'm not looking for a 'winner' in either case.
I just don't get poking at another platform b/c your fav is probably going to be late vs expectations with a small update.

We are all spoiled. We live in amazing times. Both companies do great stuff.
I'm not poking at Fractal when I mentioned the factual disparity of recent amps added. Not at all. Just like you're not when you mention that Fractal has hundreds of amps that Line 6 won't catch up to. It's just factual context.

I can't wait for the FM3 to drop, and I'm sure a Line 6 cat or two will get one too.

R3deemed

Entitled positions such as this are why it's my opinion Line 6 and others shouldn't announce forthcoming releases at all, just drop them when they're ready.
With all the hand ringing over this release you'd think all these Helix units quit working.

WiresDream

I've been on holiday in Japan so haven't had a chance to checkout the 2.8 beta yet, but the release notes are impressive. Everyone's seen them already, but I've been a bit out of the loop on account of building my singles board back up recently!!

Trending Topics