Helix 2.8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Dec 26, 2018.

1. the swede

the swede Member

I wonder....

Would it be overly complicated to add a function in the external FS options that could switch between stomp/snap? Gamechanger....
    FS 4 (or 5) mode: Toggle Stomp/Snap

Getting a midi switch that requires power and a cable and all.... blah...

2. Sharry

Sharry Member

The topic was what would happen if the official release date at the end of spring 2019 could not be met.
    I consider my statement that this is not tragic but it would be fair to get information if a delay is happended to be legitimate and do not understand your complain. In fact I can read the calender and know the seasons.;)

3. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

It is a nuisance but that is how I use my DMC Micro.
    The trick is that you can choose the mode through MIDI CC.
    It would get a little messy configuring that through global settings.

They really assume that you’ll use Snapshot and Preset mode which so far, I don’t do

LordByron likes this.
  4. JHand

JHand Member

I think they know that the rude people are in the minority and that most of us are just excited for the release.

LordByron and PDKTDK like this.
  5. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Really wish we could have some patches be in snap/stomp mode, some all stomp, and some all snap. Rather than messing with a global setting, I just want to build some patches in each configuration.

LordByron, Hush, davidb7170 and 2 others like this.
  6. the swede

the swede Member

Yep... I know all that. Theres plenty off possibilities... but I don't like adding switchers and power sources and all, just to be able to switch between two modes with one press :) I know they could implement an extra choice in the menu for FS 4 and FS 5.... buuuuut... My guess is they wont, and when i give up and order a DMC micro they implement it in FW 3 or something :D

LordByron likes this.
  7. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

Yep. I don't want to try to speak for others but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks I got what I paid for when I bought the unit and anything else is gravy I'll happily accept as it comes. It's not like the Helix is broken in desperate need of a fix or we all bought subscriptions or such. I totally get the interest and anticipation. The impatience not so much, aside from people just having a sense of humor.

8. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

You are far from the only one.

I was actually thrilled with my Helix when I initially bought it. And it was right when they came off backorder for the initial release. It's still the best all around piece of gear that I own. It's great for live, in the studio, for practicing, as a recording interface, etc. I use it for guitar and bass in all of those contexts. I have used it in 4CM (My preferred method) as well as straight into an FX return in a clean amp, as well as FRFR. It's basically the hub of all my gear. If they hadn't done any updates I would still love this unit. I bought Native just to make my protools setup more streamlined and use the Helix for mobile recording with my laptop and picked up a different 16 channel interface for my home studio.

The fact that they keep adding not only great amp models and effects but features and additional functionality just means that I already got my money's worth many times over. And the modeling itself seems to get better with every iteration. I can't wait to hear the new Revv model as I'm very much a high-gain kinda guy. And I'm super excited about the DT integration. I picked up a brand new DT-50 at guitar center on clearance a couple of years ago for like $600. It's a killer amp for the money but when I bought it, I bought it basically as a versatile power amp for the Helix to run into a 412 cab. I played with 4CM and Midi on it as well, but with the new functionality, it will be like a Helix dream rig, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I may even pick up a second one on the used market to run in stereo.

2.8 will drop when it drops and I will have a blast messing with it. Might even pick up a PC+ to see how I like that. But the anticipation for the DT50 integration is what I am most excited about. I know the new models and effects will sound great.

9. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I figure I help pay for the development along the way by buying all the new stuff they come out with if I feel it adds value to my setup.

At this point I have a Helix Floor, Stomp, HX Effects, PowerCab+, JTV69 HSS, 2 StageSource monitors, a wireless unit and a partridge in a pear tree.

I wish the HX Effects had a mic input, I could replace my TC Helicon PlayAcoustic pedal.

10. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

I promise you we want it out as fast as you do. It has to be right and it can’t causes any issues with stuff down the road so we can’t cut corners on testing. We are doing everything we can to get this done.

wilkes, MusicLaw, LordByron and 41 others like this.
  11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

I have the Helix Floor, Native, and a JTV59. I may pick up a Stomp just for gigging on bass as my signal chain is way less complicated. Bass>Helix> Mesa Prodigy>Bergantino NV610

Couple of effects from the Helix and that's it. No amp modeling.

LordByron and jaded_musician like this.
  12. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Oh that's right, I have Native as well.

LordByron likes this.
  13. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Since some are listing their line 6 gear I figured I would add mine to the list.

Helix Floor, HX Stomp, Powercab Plus, JTV-59, JTV-69. 3 L2 speakers, 2 L3 speakers, 1 L3s Speaker. I don't take the L2s to gigs any longer because we switched to using IEMs.

LordByron, jaded_musician and arislaf like this.
  14. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I’ve probably got a year and a half left on the KoT wait list, so as long as it’s released before that you won’t hear any gripes from me.

P.S. Fear not Analogman, you’re still getting my money when the time comes.

15. arislaf

arislaf Member

Getting jelous now....
    Helix floor, native, pod hd 500, pod hd bean, ux2, flextone 3 xl, pocket pod, jtv 69s, variax 700, variax 300, variax 705, and something more i forget (12 in total).

LordByron and jaded_musician like this.
  16. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

Oh, and I also have a DT-50

LordByron likes this.
  17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'm in the middle ground. I do expect continued development but I don't require a constant stream of updates and won't badger the developers if release dates slip.

I tend to vote with my wallet too. I've bought and sold the Helix twice and bought Native. If they have a killer update or killer hardware that gets released, I'll probably buy it again. If it stays static, I probably won't.

And maybe if there's a tipping point in functionality, I'll actually keep it for a long time.

shred440 likes this.
  18. burningyen

burningyen Member

LordByron and Greatdane like this.
  19. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Yay!:banana:rockin

LordByron likes this.
  20. josetxu

josetxu Member

I'm sure, that's why I don't understand the criticism.

arislaf likes this.