Helix 3.1?

... or Pi, rounded to 2 digits...
There is that. :rotflmao:roll

Nevertheless, the numbering conventions and associations thereof derived from Wittgenstein's Tractatus are pretty extensive; especially in things like firmware updates. And given that I find it is my pleasure to cast Ludwig thither and yon as much as Shakespeare or Hendrix, I pray you will forgive me my indulgence.

Digital Igloo

One thing is certain, the guessing game never ends with Line 6.
We're always feverishly working on new hardware, firmware, and software, and our roadmap leads 5-6 years into the future. Hell, we have very rough ideas for where we want to be 10-15 years out. It's not unlike film junkets—actors do all these interviews leading up to a movie's release, but due to post-production schedules they've already shot one or two different films since then, so they're often in a totally different headspace.

It's also the reason why some of us never buy Line 6 gear, because we know what's coming down the road. Just like it's hard to act excited at the Age of Ultron premiere when you've just read Endgame's script.

fancysalmon

QC is also extremely similar with their grid and blocks, they also have footswitch modes just like Helix. I kinda wonder why they've copied it to such a degree though, it's a good system, but there are definitely improvements and changes that could've been made.

Digital Igloo

The HX family is selling like bread, butter, milk, and eggs, of course everyone is "inspired" by it.
Line 6 got the cake recipe just right across the entire palette range, everyone want a piece of it.
Not sure why it's so difficult for some. Cliff and Christoph continue to develop killer new products and capabilities completely on their own terms, without the need to shamelessly rip off others and then take credit for "innovating." I have mad, mad respect for them. One of the things I missed most about this year's NAMM show was sneaking a beer with Christoph in the Kemper booth. The dude is cool as hell.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure why it's so difficult for some. Cliff and Christoph continue to develop killer new products and capabilities completely on their own terms, without the need to shamelessly rip off others and then take credit for "innovating." I have mad, mad respect for them. One of the things I missed most about this year's NAMM show was sneaking a beer with Christoph in the Kemper booth. The dude is cool as hell.
They make killer products but both have a user interface that resembles 1980's navy submarine electronic control stations.
If not for AxeEdit I think AxeFx would have grown its customer base at half the speed it did.

Helix is a cut above in that regard....and yes it resembles smart phone interface and thats a good thing regardless of any apple app developers who think you stole an idea from them. It doesn't mean you stole it from Apple, it means you know what people want...the first guy to make gloves have 5 fingers doesn't own the right to 5.
All progress is derivative otherwise it is alien tech and that stuff hasn't been brought out of the hanger yet.
So don't sweat that people copy your lead in the industry, smile and keep leading...

LaXu

QC is also extremely similar with their grid and blocks, they also have footswitch modes just like Helix. I kinda wonder why they've copied it to such a degree though, it's a good system, but there are definitely improvements and changes that could've been made.
When something works there's no point changing it just because. NDSP have clearly looked at all the good ideas from competitors and worked their own things in. It's a pretty decent use of the screenspace that way even if in some ways it's a bit less intuitive.

Some of the choices on both are dependent on the hardware. QC like the Helix has requires managing different DSP cores so that is handled by the different paths so they are freely assignable to any block. Fractal's approach abstracts this away but with the caveat that amp blocks are limited to 2 and you can't fit more fx into a preset by not using amp blocks at all.

Doomrider78

We're always feverishly working on new hardware, firmware, and software, and our roadmap leads 5-6 years into the future. Hell, we have very rough ideas for where we want to be 10-15 years out. It's not unlike film junkets—actors do all these interviews leading up to a movie's release, but due to post-production schedules they've already shot one or two different films since then, so they're often in a totally different headspace.

It's also the reason why some of us never buy Line 6 gear, because we know what's coming down the road. Just like it's hard to act excited at the Age of Ultron premiere when you've just read Endgame's script.
So.... what you're saying is we can expect an Ironman-themed Stomp very soon? :p:D

I’d hope you got in-house kit for free use. If you chaps don’t pre beta-test it...

Rayf

That and one or two copycats have been getting pretty brazen lately (including lifting full paragraphs from our Owner's Manual). If the world insists on creating another Uli B€#$%@&®, that doesn't mean we need to help the situation.
Just curious, how do you end up catching this stuff?
It works best between Amp and Cab blocks.Yamaha is publicly traded, so revenue recognition applies.

That and one or two copycats have been getting pretty brazen lately (including lifting full paragraphs from our Owner's Manual). If the world insists on creating another Uli B€#$%@&®, that doesn't mean we need to help the situation.
I find this sort of behavior fascinating. I'm sure that's not the term you'd use to describe it though. How do you catch this? Do you typically read manuals of competitors to see what they're doing, or does someone happen to mention that certain features or text looks a little familiar? Also, what's NAAM like when their sitting in a booth down the row from you? Are the booth guys cool and try to be somewhat conciliatory, or do they play dumb?

Digital Igloo

Just curious, how do you end up catching this stuff?
I write most of Team Helix hardware products' manuals (with help), so I'm intimately familiar with the verbiage.
I find this sort of behavior fascinating. I'm sure that's not the term you'd use to describe it though. How do you catch this? Do you typically read manuals of competitors to see what they're doing, or does someone happen to mention that certain features or text looks a little familiar?
Dunno; at the risk of triggering eyerolls, it's a quirk of the designer's headspace I guess. I can call out bad kerning a mile away and this is the best SNL skit of ALL TIME. Also, my obsession over UI/UX is probably unhealthy and I have an uncanny knack for recognizing the inspiration of a particular UX element and translating design language. Sometimes it doesn't take a product designer to know when a box's pitch meeting was less "let's make this amazing new product our customers will love!" and more "[Competitor's box] is selling well; what should we add to our new super-similar version in order to eat into their sales?"

It's also telling when ex-employees of a competitor straight up admit the motivations a particular product's genesis may have had.
Also, what's NAMM like when their sitting in a booth down the row from you? Are the booth guys cool and try to be somewhat conciliatory, or do they play dumb?
The vast, vast majority of MI is completely cool with one another. We'll gush and fawn over each other's new pedals and synths, trade business cards, try to get industry accommodation deals, figure out ways to work with one another or license tech, grab beers at the Hilton or Marriott... NAMM is really just one big class reunion. Other than the exhaustive booth work, it's a blast. I've met countless friends there.

However, I do have two stories:
  • At NAMM 2020, one of our employees was in a booth and the rep there straight up said—within 30 seconds of meeting them—"One of our main goals is to take [one of YGG's brands] down." Not sure if the rep could see my coworker's badge, and I'm not sure if that'd make it less or more desperate and pathetic
  • At NAMM 2005 (man, am I old), I ran into a sales rep in their booth whom I knew from my retail days. He looked me straight in the eye and lied: "Oh, yeah, I know our new pedals look exactly like BOSS pedals, but we have an exclusive license deal with Roland." Even the FONTS were the same. After a costly legal battle, this company had to change their ID and silkscreen, as it was painfully clear their intent was to confuse the end user with blatant trade dress infringement
But 99% of the time, everyone is totally cool and supportive of one another.

Last edited:

Supa Scoopa

I guess Line 6 has never been "inspired" by others. Snapshots anyone? Almost all of the sounds in the helix are taken from other peoples work. LOL There is not one company on earth that doesn't barrow or steal the ideas from competitors, sorry...

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I guess Line 6 has never been "inspired" by others. Snapshots anyone? Almost all of the sounds in the helix are taken from other peoples work. LOL There is not one company on earth that doesn't barrow or steal the ideas from competitors, sorry...
There’s a clear difference between, say, designing a house that has elements that are influenced by other existing houses... It quite another thing to take existing blueprints, sign your name to them and say you designed it...

As far as snapshots, the concept of scenes has been around pretty much since there’s been digital mixers.

fancysalmon

There is not one company on earth that doesn't barrow or steal the ideas from competitors, sorry...
It's more of a question of how blatant it is. Here's one of the most extreme cases I've seen (it's Behringer, of course):

They've copied all the bad design choices too, which is hilarious. Plus the whole idea of cloning an inexpensive product that wasn't even that great to begin with. I understand their synth clones at least, but stuff like that (those cube-like monitors come to mind too, also a completely blatant rip off) is just bs.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
There’s a clear difference between, say, designing a house that has elements that are influenced by other existing houses... It quite another thing to take existing blueprints, sign your name to them and say you designed it...

As far as snapshots, the concept of scenes has been around pretty much since there’s been digital mixers.
I had the Yamaha 01v and 02R right when they came out :)

Trending Topics