Helix 3.1?

I S

So when DI says Math Reverbs are coming, that means reverbs that require lots of DSP calculations, like a drippy spring reverb, etc.?

msp

So when DI says Math Reverbs are coming, that means reverbs that require lots of DSP calculations, like a drippy spring reverb, etc.?
He stated " the upcoming math-y delay " earlier in this thread somewhere. I vividly remember reading it and getting a little sweaty.

He then went on to say regarding the Dev team "another effect that may or may not showcase their expertise when they used to help other Harman brands." Regarding Reverbs... Lexicon is another Harman brand if you want to read into that.

But alas no Math-y Reverbs.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
He stated " the upcoming math-y delay " earlier in this thread somewhere. I vividly remember reading it and getting a little sweaty.

He then went on to say regarding the Dev team "another effect that may or may not showcase their expertise when they used to help other Harman brands." Regarding Reverbs... Lexicon is another Harman brand if you want to read into that.

But alas no Math-y Reverbs.
Perhaps....methy reverbs??

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
e Yamaha 02R. (I
You're absolutely right, they do. And that mixer is from the 90s.

from the manual

Scene Memories
The Digital Recording Console 02R scene memories are a snapshot of all the digital parameters of the mixer. The 02R has 64 mix scene memory locations. Each can be named for easy identification

But after all, with the introduction of midi you could already make your homemade snapshots with any box that has a midi, a decent midi implementation and a midi controller.

Last edited:

spikey

Scenes were a feature in Line 6 M9 and M13 long before the Fractal Axe II release.
That's nice, but the discussion was about the Axe II getting them before Helix did and not who had them 1st, however, I did ask about when the M series got them out of curiosity. Now I'll stop talking about scenes (instead of Snapshots) in a Helix thread lol...Hope 3.1 drops in March! ;)

Last edited:

toasterdude

It works best between Amp and Cab blocks.Yamaha is publicly traded, so revenue recognition applies.

That and one or two copycats have been getting pretty brazen lately (including lifting full paragraphs from our Owner's Manual). If the world insists on creating another Uli B€#$%@&®, that doesn't mean we need to help the situation.
Hmmm. In most presets I have the 63 spring before amp as the amps come from a fractal being fed by helix. I was making a patch using just helix and could not get the verb to sound right. Moved it between amp and cab and viola!

Jamesdom

Hello everyone. In case you missed any of our previous announcements, you can now apply for the beta testing program at https://line6.com/account/betateams/ . Just create a beta profile and you will be entered into a pool of potential testers.

You may not get admitted right away as the team is limited and there are far more applicants than available slots. That does not mean you could not potentially get chosen in the future as the beta teams are refreshed for each release.

Thank you for your continued support, feedback and assistance!

m0b1liz3

Hello everyone. In case you missed any of our previous announcements, you can now apply for the beta testing program at https://line6.com/account/betateams/ . Just create a beta profile and you will be entered into a pool of potential testers.

You may not get admitted right away as the team is limited and there are far more applicants than available slots. That does not mean you could not potentially get chosen in the future as the beta teams are refreshed for each release.

Does an email get sent out if you are in or do you have to regularly log into the Line6 site to check?

I signed up for the first beta-testing thing last year but didn't pass the audition. :roll :rotflmao

And right now I have all the tools in the box I need for what I'm doing; and diving into the minutiæ of a firmware update and then reporting back isn't really on the radar atm. I'm suffering from a case of severe editorial mode after a period of option paralysis. It's curable with a certain austerity of approach.

The Helix is, to me, essential. And it keeps on getting better. But what has become apparent to me as the basis of this is in the core competency of the design as the controller and router for an extended rig; as well as everything else. It is still the perfect one-box rig.

I'm just really happy with what I have right now. Yeah, folk want new amps and fx. And easier to use reverbs and stock cabs/mics. But I reckon you chaps hit it out of the park. It really is the "Swiss-Army-Knife" of modellers; and the ecosystem around the Helix confirms just what Line6 have managed to produce in a synthesis of hardware, software, online communities, and integrated class-leading customer service.

You do know that folk at Harvard Business School will be doing PhD theses on how Line6 got it right?

Long may it continue.

Digital Igloo

100% Asking Line 6 to come up with the Helix / HX products in isolation is like asking Henry Ford to come up with the GT-40 starting from scratch in the 1900s.

Evolution of design requires generations of engineers and ideas built upon ideas.
Person 1: B€#®!%¢€®'s product is 99% identical to Arturia's product--aesthetically, electrically, functionally, and UI/UX-wise.

Person 2: hELiX Al$o hAS a wAy of !nStaNtlY aDjUsTinG mUlT!pLe pAraMeTerS w!THin a pRe$eT. iT's tHE sAmE tHiNg!

Person 3: yAmAHa maDE orGaNs 134 yEaRs Ag0 s0 aLL sYnThs wiTh kEYb0ArDs s!n¢E aRe riP-oFFs! iT's tHE sAmE tHiNg!

Nuance, people. There's solving a common customer problem in a wholly unique manner consistent with one's own designs and development... and then there's lifting massive chunks of UI/UX/layout, functionality, methodology, and design language whole hog. Anyone blind to the glaring difference either has an agenda or is trying to be provocative for internet points.
M series, Yea just wondered, been a while :cool: Were they called "snap-shots" back then too?
We changed the name because snapshots' functionality was closer to what's found in large-format digital consoles. (They're called "snapshots" because engineers used to literally take polaroid photos of analog consoles so mixes could be recalled later.) That and we didn't want to confuse M13 users.

Fun fact: 90% of current Snapshot functionality was designed back in 2012 or so, but we had to defer it to post-release. IIRC, the only thing we hadn't figured out was whether parameter changes should be recalled by default or not; push-turning to activate was an epiphany at the time.

Last edited:

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
(They're called "snapshots" because engineers used to literally take polaroid photos of analog consoles so mixes could be recalled later.)
Only tangentially related, but it always made me laugh when I would see post it notes with cue settings - like actual fader settings - all over programmable lighting boards... I was like, “uh, you know the board does this for you, guys...”

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
Ugh this brings me back. One of the studios I used to work in had a trident 80B with zero recall ability. Some of those sessions had massive notebooks of signal chains and settings, Polaroids, printed cell phone pics from 1.8mpxl cameras. Absolute nightmare fuel.

Sometimes I wonder if the hardcore analog-only folks havent actually done real work on old analog gear, because it was frequently a PITA. Obviously analog boards with digital recall is a nice balance of both.

Lachra

Only tangentially related, but it always made me laugh when I would see post it notes with cue settings - like actual fader settings - all over programmable lighting boards... I was like, “uh, you know the board does this for you, guys...”
This is kinda funny. I have post it notes like this in the studio when I am A/Bing something that doesn't actually have an A/B feature. But other than that I feel ya on this.

Recall is a feature I will never go without. It is one of the main reasons why that even if I do have some analog equipment. (guitars, Novation Bass Station II) They will be controlled digitally. The BSII has a digital interface, though is a true analog synth, and the guitars go through the Helix. Total recall!

I may end up with tons of presets for each unit I use. But that is what folders are for. I have mine mainly sorted by album that I am working on.

Funny enough I don't use scenes/snapshots. I am only a studio musician though, no live. I tend to use routing flexibility, and tones of automation. Its why I really love Helix Native. (which recently got an A/B feature)

Bonus with Native is it recalls even a changed preset (that wasn't saved) in the project in the DAW. (as long as the project itself was saved) That is like Total Recall +.

Lachra

I've always loved the idea of modular synths but can't get into them for this exact reason. I *must* be able to perfectly recall a project, even years later. Not sure if it's a quirk from my production days (where clients might call up years later for a remix or stems) or what.
Well, seems we share similar quirks although I have only really used the digital realm for most of my studio experience. That said any situation where there isn't recall, it is a glaring reason why I will stay digital.

I have even toyed around with the idea getting some nice tube amps. (many of which don't have this feature) So that coupled with price/room/volume, I find the stuff like THR30II far more attractive when I am not in the studio with my Helix setup.

Trending Topics