Helix 3.15!

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
It really is hard to believe this chunk of hardware is, what . . . seven years old now? Line 6 nailed the hell out of it when they designed it. My apologies to the company for hating on them from the AxSys 212 to all the Spider crap. I mean, the Spider stuff was still crap, but all is forgiven.
I rarely feel the need to defend Line 6 stuff, but the "Spider crap" you mentioned is way off base. I know it's a meme in order to polish a cork sniffers bona fides, but unless you've tried a Spider V, it's an unfair characterization.

Using updated Pod Farm algorithms (used on countless pro recordings), into a good quality stereo 120 watt power amp, I get great tones from my V240. And I've gigged it a lot with loads of positive comments from guitar playing friends, unaware that I was using it instead of my Helix rig. Did the Spiders from the 90's and later not sound great- sure, but they gave literally millions of guitarists the opportunity to experiment with a range of tones at a inexpensive price. Nobody I know expected anything more than that.

MrTAteMyBalls

I didn't see anything extraordinary in this update,
only repeated effects with different settings,
as of prache,
I would trade all these useless delays
per an ice delay
e este novo amplificador e Horrível.

why don't they focus their time on decreasing the DSP consumption of the Polyphonic effects?

or create a way for us to copy our amps like in Kemper, or Neural DSP?

or increase the IRs sample points as was done in AXE FX?

No one can put up with useless repeated things anymore.

Lol wut.

Look again.

Lots of new stuff here. The new verbs and delays alone would be worth the update!! Tried the tesselator or rachet??? Where did anything like that exist before in Helix?

We don't need to copy our amps with Helix. That would be a waste of time and resources they could spend on making very useful updates like the last 2.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone running Native with Reaper? Both on latest version as soon as I choose the Helix plug in it crashes reaper. Found nothing on the reaper or L6 forums. Win 10, Reaper 64 bit.

Just updated Win10 to the latest yesterday. When I read this I updated Reaper to the latest, then updated Native.
Opened Reaper, opened Native, no problems.
This is on my ancient i5/8gb laptop while also running Edge, Spotify, Outlook, HX Edit and a couple of manuals open in Adobe Acrobat.
I've read of this problem on specific hardware.
What exactly are you running? Even if the older version worked, you never know with computers.

EDIT - FWIW - Amplitube 4 ran great in Reaper on this box. Amplitube 5 crashes Reaper.

Foxmeister

Gold Supporting Member
why don't they focus their time on decreasing the DSP consumption of the Polyphonic effects?
How do you know if its even *possible* to further optimise the DSP consumption of those effects?

That's very true - so why do you keep creating new Facebook accounts to complain about the same things over and over again? ;)

Rufless

Lol wut.

Look again.

Lots of new stuff here. The new verbs and delays alone would be worth the update!! Tried the tesselator or rachet??? Where did anything like that exist before in Helix?

We don't need to copy our amps with Helix. That would be a waste of time and resources they could spend on making very useful updates like the last 2.
"only repeated effects with different settings" - "I would trade all these useless delays per an ice delay" What?

Honestly if Line 6 today chose to just drop the ball on the Helix I would definetly feel sad, but I could understand them bc no matter what you do there are always ppl that want the other thing you did not. Damn POD HD 500 had next to zero updates compared to the Helix and I still use it bc out of the box it was usable.

And I don't want to copy my amps. I don't have any good amps left here. I don't need to copy my Blackstar HT1. And even if I had good amps left: Would I do a better job at profiling an amp myself (with a mediocre box, a run-off-the-mill SM57 and bad room acoustics), than Ben Adrian and staff, who take a whole month or more to measure all the things in an amp and rebuild it digitally? I couldn't. Others? Maybe, yes.

Orvillain

Not gonna lie - I would love to see Line6 develop their own capture technology that is better than Helix and QC. I'd sell every other modeller I have.

Mike_Stone

Nothing is really useless per say, Helix is designed for a vast variety of guitar and bass players with many different needs, i get that, that being said will I use a Tesselator ? maybe not, but others surely will so i'm glad that it will make some others happy.
As for myself im super happy with new reverbs and that alone is super awesome, so before complaining or trashing a product think a little further than your own needs

Cheers
Stone

Last edited:

GraceToo

as of prache,
per an ice delay

This update was far from useless. One of her biggest things Helix units lacked in comparison to, say, the latest iteration of Fractal products, was high quality reverbs. We just got three fantastic new reverbs, in addition to everything else. I previously had to use reverb plugins on my tracks post-recording due to a lack of nice room, plate, and shimmer options. I sometimes dropped in the legacy reverbs and took them out in Native in favour of the plugins. Now I can do it all in the box and actually HEAR that rich lushness while I play it and control it in real time — that’s huge.

parapentep70

I just installed last night and briefly played around after restoring my previous data..

I had some "odd" behavior, in an existing patch that I had played through about 30 mins prior. When I went back to that patch the output level was INSANELY LOUD, like in KILL MODE from a "hey that's a bit loud for in the house" level where it was originally set before the update.

I'll have to check a few things out in when I get a chance today. That's the first time I've experienced weirdness after an update.

I like the dynamics of the Ventoux for the brief period of time I had to setup the patch. Time to adjust a bit more and see the full range of possibilities for sure.
I have not updated yet (I am reading this before just in case there is a minor bug). But in previous updates, when I did backup, factory reset and restore, some of the general settings had to be configured again. Things like instrument / line levels in I/Os or the global equalizer. I'd check these general settings, maybe one of them is changing ALL your levels. Have a look at input pad, now it's apparently moved to individual presets.

I had a similar behaviour. But all presets were OK, it took a minute to correct the problem in the general menu. Not updating to 3.15 but an earlier update.

EDITED: I've just done the 3.15 update. If the full backup is done as recommended, "restore" can recover these general settings. After installation of the new firmware (and before restore of the older settings) all the general settings have the default level. No input pad and line level in XLR (Maybe this triggers the high output levels). After restore, everything (including levels) is working 100% correct.

Just in case this is related to the problem reported.

Last edited:

Mooselake

as of prache,
per an ice delay

Life is too short to spend on "useless repeated things". If you save your money I'm sure Neural or Fractal will happily take it.

PS - The new amp model kicks butt.

mike_m

I rarely feel the need to defend Line 6 stuff, but the "Spider crap" you mentioned is way off base. I know it's a meme in order to polish a cork sniffers bona fides, but unless you've tried a Spider V, it's an unfair characterization.

Using updated Pod Farm algorithms (used on countless pro recordings), into a good quality stereo 120 watt power amp, I get great tones from my V240. And I've gigged it a lot with loads of positive comments from guitar playing friends, unaware that I was using it instead of my Helix rig. Did the Spiders from the 90's and later not sound great- sure, but they gave literally millions of guitarists the opportunity to experiment with a range of tones at a inexpensive price. Nobody I know expected anything more than that.
So I half agree with you here. I got a spider IV half stack as my first band amp. The top line 100 watt heads/combos sounded way better than the smaller 15-30W practice combos using the same modes. So depending on which ones you had experience with some of them weren’t great. Idk if it was the power amps, the speakers or what but there was a difference.

BUT I do think the bigger issue is that they tend to be used by young and inexperienced players as one of if not their first amp. And when you’re that young and inexperienced you don’t yet know how to make an amp not sound like crap lol. I bet if a lot of us sat down with a fresh ear to our early amps they might not be quite as bad as we remember.

ragingplatypi

As one of those [annoying] people who obsesses over the “feel” of an amp model, I gotta say the Ventoux feels great. And no “hype” needed either!

I really like the approach of the controls on the amp as well. It reminds me of the controls on Voxes and several boutique amps I’ve played. However, it’s much more useable and musical in all the settings, even extreme ones. The cork sniffer in me raises a glass of French red to Ben Adrian & Line 6.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Can you create a momentary function with a stomp switch? I'd like to toggle the Ratchet from holding a 'freeze' of one timbre to immediately freezing another on the beat that I tap the switch.
Right now I have to tap it off and then tap again to restart the freeze so it isn't possible (at least not for me) to time it right.

And while I'm asking for 'more' how about being able to assign this instant toggling of a parameter to an LFO? Or steps in a sequence set to tempo....or pitch threshold (as in retrigger every time you play above or below a certain frequency)

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Can you create a momentary function with a stomp switch?
Yes, you’ve always been able to set stomp switches to Momentary (and that’s almost a requirement for using the Ratchet and Tesselator effects well). It’s an option in the Bypass Assign menu on the hardware, on the Control/Assign tab in HX Edit.

celticelk

One thing I’m definitely going to try via MIDI is setting up a switch to send a random Last value to the Tesselator immediately before triggering, to mimic a similar function on the Hexe Revolver. Also sending randomized Last values while the effect is on, to change up the textures.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom