Helix 3.2?

James Freeman

That's exaclty why do. you can have also the input eq with ozone 5matcheq
run a pink noise through amp @-80db and make a snapshot
run a sine sweep through amp and make a snaphot
I just tried this trick. I mean, it makes sense and all but I was skeptical.

And I was wrong. This is the real deal!

Matching the output Volume and EQ of both models with -10db pink noise input is important to do first.
The second step of -80db pink noise at input not only helps to match the input eq but also amount of gain.
Works for high and low gain amps, but you have to choose an amp with a similar gain structure first.

So here are the steps again:

Turn off IRs on both plugins.

1. Set both amp models with Gain,Bass,Mid,Treble,Presence at 5, and if you are capturing NDSP plugins set Helix Master at 1, and Sag, Hum, and Ripple at 0, because NDSP 'models' are preamps.

2. Run guitar level -10db pink noise through the NDSP plugin and save the response and level.

3. Run -10db pink noise through the Helix model and match the first response Level and EQ, it is important that you match their Level here too.

Output matching is done here, now for input matching which is where "FEEL" is happening.

4. Run a very low level pink noise through the NDSP plugin like -80db, it is important that the amp doesn't distort at all, I use -80db for very high gain amps, but you can use any value as long as the amp doesn't start distorting and you can clearly see the response in your analyzer, save the response and level.

5. Run the same low level pink noise through the Helix model and match EQ and level, it is important that you match the input level here too AFTER you matched the level in step #3.

Anyone has the Soldano plugin and willing to share a quick recording files here? :)
Just record 10 seconds of input pink noise at -10db and -80db through it with 5,5,5,5 settings and share the wav files in a zip, so I can match it myself.
Thank you!

buchette

Matching the output Volume and EQ of both models with -10db pink noise input is important to do first.
The second step of -80db pink noise at input not only helps to match the input eq but also amount of gain.
Works for high and low gain amps, but you have to choose an amp with a similar gain structure first.

1. Set both amp models with Gain,Bass,Mid,Treble,Presence at 5, and if you are capturing NDSP plugins set Helix Master at 1, and Sag, Hum, and Ripple at 0, because NDSP 'models' are preamps.

2. Run guitar level -10db pink noise through the NDSP plugin and save the response and level.

3. Run -10db pink noise through the Helix model and match the first response Level and EQ, it is important that you match their Level here too.

Output matching is done here, now for input matching which is where "FEEL" is happening.

4. Run a very low level pink noise through the NDSP plugin like -80db, it is important that the amp doesn't distort at all, I use -80db for very high gain amps, but you can use any value as long as the amp doesn't start distorting and you can clearly see the response in your analyzer, save the response and level.

5. Run the same low level pink noise through the Helix model and match EQ and level, it is important that you match the input level here too AFTER you matched the level in step #3.

Anyone has the Soldano plugin and willing to share a quick recording files here? :)
Just record 10 seconds of input pink noise at -10db and -80db through it with 5,5,5,5 settings and share the wav files in a zip, so I can match it myself.
Thank you!
That's more or less the kemper process. I see we are both into that. happy to find someone interested into it.

buchette

You damn well right I expect us to match every NDSP plugin and freely share Helix presets, because why the hell not? :D
All I need is two wave files of pink noise at -10db and -80db through their expensive and overlyhyped "amp model".
there are pretty much all available execpt soldano and pettrucci if search

You damn well right I expect us to match every NDSP plugin and freely share Helix presets, because why the hell not? :D
All I need is two wave files of pink noise at -10db and -80db through their expensive and overlyhyped "amp model".

You are turning into a much more interesting resource. Given I generally agree with your opinions, I'm pretty sure I'll find lots of interest in the sonic results of all this work.

You make me wish I were a much better engineer.

Seanspeed

No need to worry, the semiconductor industry is behind on production for at least 2 more years.
It's not really behind on production, it's just extreme demand.

The actual fabs are largely running at full blast. So it's just a matter of who got in their orders in time and how much allocation they thought they'd need.

A lot of it was caused by a terrible guess on the part of so many businesses that demand would drop during the pandemic...which didn't turn out to be the case in so many markets. So a lot of companies have been left unable to secure the increased supply they need. And of course any company that is struggling to meet current extreme demand in general will struggle to just call up and say, "Hey, we need more". But companies who planned ahead will be a lot better off.

buchette

Thank you!
Frankly you're the man !
i must add, that it also works with a guitar DI.
i am currently cloning the AFD #34, my JVM Satriani and my BD2

Mike_Stone

Anyone think 3.15 will have improved tone through better oversampling ? maybe new Improved IR/Cabs ? or is 3.15 mostly new effects added ?
not sure but they have been working a lot time wise on this latest update or they were busy with other priority projects of which we know nothing about ..yet

dronerstone

Anyone think 3.15 will have improved tone through better oversampling ? maybe new Improved IR/Cabs ? or is 3.15 mostly new effects added ?
not sure but they have been working a lot time wise on this latest update or they were busy with other priority projects of which we know nothing about ..yet
From what we know at this point, I believe it'll be rather effects-centric.

I'm convinced there's gonna be some kind of sustain/feedback/drone thing that scratches the Freqout itch, also my fingers are still crossed for an mkII 'bender.

Anyway, I sure won't complain if I'm wrong - I'll happily take whatever is delivered, trying my best to get creative either way.

Mike_Stone

From what we know at this point, I believe it'll be rather effects-centric.

I'm convinced there's gonna be some kind of sustain/feedback/drone thing that scratches the Freqout itch, also my fingers are still crossed for an mkII 'bender.

Anyway, I sure won't complain if I'm wrong - I'll happily take whatever is delivered, trying my best to get creative either way.

Well I was hoping for more for Tone Engine improvements, user improvements and environment, so maybe 3.2 in 7-9 months away
as for effects and amps Im barley using 15-20 % of what is in the Helix so more additions while welcome would probably be not used by me, that being said I get the Helix caters to a much larger crowd than my own needs :)

dronerstone

Well I was hoping for more for Tone Engine improvements, user improvements and environment, so maybe 3.2 in 7-9 months away
as for effects and amps Im barley using 15-20 % of what is in the Helix so more additions while welcome would probably be not used by me, that being said I get the Helix caters to a much larger crowd than my own needs :)

True, regarding effects.

For example, I will probably only ever use one delay pedal at a time, yet I perceive the broad arsenal of effects in the HX universe as if I had a huge cupboard full of pedals, and every update I open a drawer and there's new stuff that I didn't even know I had.

The mere thought already makes me smile.

The Whale

Silver Supporting Member
Yep
Be sure to try the Line 6 originals.
I forget about them all the time and circle back periodically
Good stuff in there

Absolutely!!! Litigator and Badonk are amazing. L6 Epic is really quite good too, if you’re looking for a SLO with different mids. And the 2204 Mod is great even if you don’t boost with the pre gain boost.

CakeEater

Just an update on trying to replicate the Mesa California Tweed Kemper profile in the Helix with some perspective.

So I shot an IR of the California Tweed Kemper profile Cab Block. The IR is really nice, there's no need for high or low cuts which I feel opens up the sound a bit and indicates balance. I'll aim for that in the future.

After trying numerous tweed models I settled on the Cali Texas Ch2 model with gain 1 way up and gain 2 way down. I think it sounds good but my ears are far from fresh at the moment. If anyone has advice on tone matching I'm open to suggestions.

Important: After A/B-ing the Kemper and Helix I've ditched the established paradigm of putting an LA Studio Comp at the end of my signal chain. While it does add some hype there's more clarity and fidelity without it. It probably should have been obvious but get your amp tones from the amp instead. Hacks aren't necessary.

Kemper performance mode is very powerful, but programming it is absolutely awful. I always knew the Helix was slick and intuitive but I have a renewed appreciation for just how well designed it is now, and for the conveniences of usb audio and HX Edit. And also for coloured LEDs and scribble strips.

I'll A/B over the coming days but so far the only thing I haven't gotten close with is the Kemper Cirrus Reverb. It's a really nice blooming shimmer that's somewhere between the particle verb and Glits. This will need some work which is frustrating as the Kemper block is just ready to go.

Last edited:

Top Bottom