• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Helix 3.2?

Chad Nedohin

Since Helix 3.1, my guitar sounds so good, it usually sounds better in the front of house than the guys playing tube amps and pedalboards.

I think it comes down to a perfectly dialed in patch that never changes vs amp where the mic position varies, tubes age, signal path is limited, amp gain can’t be changed from a foot switch, and stereo tone requires dual amps, etc…

The only thing I need now is more
DSP. I’m finding that in a single song, I’m very FX heavy for worship, so unless I change patches, I’m short 1 delay and 1 reverb. I make due with the 3 delays in the patch, but sometimes would like to throw a glitch in the ambient soft parts.

Shelby27

Since Helix 3.1, my guitar sounds so good, it usually sounds better in the front of house than the guys playing tube amps and pedalboards.

I think it comes down to a perfectly dialed in patch that never changes vs amp where the mic position varies, tubes age, signal path is limited, amp gain can’t be changed from a foot switch, and stereo tone requires dual amps, etc…

The only thing I need now is more
DSP. I’m finding that in a single song, I’m very FX heavy for worship, so unless I change patches, I’m short 1 delay and 1 reverb. I make due with the 3 delays in the patch, but sometimes would like to throw a glitch in the ambient soft parts.
Have you considered a few outboard conventional pedals? The helix responds really well to most pedals in my experience, especially delays and reverbs. Secondly, it takes drive pedals so well that i tend to prefer them over the helix overdrives. An OD and an EQ in front of the helix could save enough DSP for what you need, which would allow you to use the helix effects if you prefer them. If you need it all done in one unit then none of that will help, but I'm quite happy with my mini pedalboard with an EQ, OD and reverb running into my stomp.

Rayf

Any chance we can add more time to the looper?

Also, and this may sound stupid to a lot of people, but any chance we can get a basic DAW built in to HX Edit? I live in the Helix ecosystem and run everything through my Rack into the PC. Considering how easy editing has gotten with Helix, a basic DAW for throwing down ideas would be great.

TonyCass

Any chance we can add more time to the looper?

Also, and this may sound stupid to a lot of people, but any chance we can get a basic DAW built in to HX Edit? I live in the Helix ecosystem and run everything through my Rack into the PC. Considering how easy editing has gotten with Helix, a basic DAW for throwing down ideas would be great.
Pretty sure native is just a remote that controls the hardware. I guess if more time could be added to the looper having native remotely control the looper function with some kind of visualization would not be out of the question. At that point though why not just choose one of the free daw options that exist today.

bme

Am I the only one who wants JCM 900 and JCM 2000 amps in the Helix?
I tried running my JCM2000 direct and comparing with the 2204. I could get the high gain channel preettty darn close when running them through the same IR. I got a real nasty frequency around 4-5k on my real amp though and I'm not sure what was causing it. It was just a solid constant spike. ...but tone wise they were reallly super close.

LaXu

JCM2000 no. It's a bit of a compilation of various Marshall tones and you can get similar tones out of JCM800 and other models.

JCM900 sure. It's not my favorite sound but it is a bit of a unique sound and rarely modeled. For some reason even Fractal has dropped the JCM900 model from their 3rd gen products, the Axe-Fx 2 had it and it gave me a pretty spot on early Manic Street Preachers sound.

b80

I like the JCM 900 for those mid-90s punk-ish tones. Stephen from Descendents STILL uses the 900!

Rufless

So does Dave Navarro
And Rise Against. Both guitarists use 900s. Not my fav sound. The 900 my buddy had in the band place sounded absolutely horrible. But in the end if the question is "How many Marshalls do we need?" the answer is "Yes!" :-D

Reactions: b80

kennywiegman

JCM2000 no. It's a bit of a compilation of various Marshall tones and you can get similar tones out of JCM800 and other models.

JCM900 sure. It's not my favorite sound but it is a bit of a unique sound and rarely modeled. For some reason even Fractal has dropped the JCM900 model from their 3rd gen products, the Axe-Fx 2 had it and it gave me a pretty spot on early Manic Street Preachers sound.
My JCM2000 has a very unique red channel that I have not experienced in other amps. Maybe it’s because it was my first love, but I can’t part with it. Much looser feeling than a 900 if that makes sense

TonyCass

I'd love to add value to this thread but I can't really think of anything I'd like to see added to the Stomp. Others have mentioned a dynamic room reverb. While I think this could be useful - I'm not sure the added DSP would be warranted over the legacy room verb. Maybe a Stereo IR block and some additional flexibility in the dual cab block.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten good tone out of both real life amps, but I've also seen several examples of each that sounded horrid. The odds would kinda be against Line 6 on that one.

I'm absolutely down with adding way more Marshall variants to Helix, tho. If Line 6 wanted to go with a not-too-expensive "greatest hits" approach, I'd say they should do a JVM410H.

If they wanted to go the boutique route, no one has modeled a Henning Bottle Rocket or Cherry Bomb yet. Same for a Bogner Atma or Helios.

But the lowest hanging fruit there is - especially since they acquired the company - is the Lee Jackson-designed Ampeg VL1002.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
It's a testament to the completeness of the Helix package that we are reaching pretty hard to find other models that can't be covered by some other model already in the Helix collection. Love it.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
It's a testament to the completeness of the Helix package that we are reaching pretty hard to find other models that can't be covered by some other model already in the Helix collection. Love it.
I'm not one of them, but.....you know........some people still want/need.....uh....

....Dumble

So yeah. Also, I do think they need to beef up the Marshall lineup, even with the Friedman BE100, 2204 mod, and Cartographer.

Ideally, @benadrian could do a Line 6 original "Choose Your Own Adventure" Marshall that lets you select 3/4/5 gain stages, cathode follower or no, what frequency the tone stack sits at (500hz to 1.2K), which gain stages the Gain knob sits between, switchable Depth....stuff like that.

EDIT: I know he tweaked some of that stuff to create the Cartographer (both the real-life one and the model), but I'm talking exposing more parameters for us to play with and tweak.

Last edited:

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not one of them, but.....you know........some people still want/need.....uh....

....Dumble

So yeah. Also, I do think they need to beef up the Marshall lineup, even with the Friedman BE100, 2204 mod, and Cartographer.

Ideally, @benadrian could do a Line 6 original "Choose Your Own Adventure" Marshall that lets you select 3/4/5 gain stages, cathode follower or no, what frequency the tone stack sits at (500hz to 1.2K), which gain stages the Gain knob sits between, switchable Depth....stuff like that.
I'm all for tons of Marshalls. I LOVE Marshalls. I gig/rehearse with a Superlead. I'd be stretching if I said I couldn't get virtually any Marshall tone from the Helix right now though. The Brit Trem Brt covers A TON of ground with boosts, EQs, and ODs. If L6 would add the bright cap options to the existing Marshalls I'm pretty sure that would close the gap between them and Fractal or whoever.

Maybe a Super Reverb would be a cool option? Or an Ampeg V4? A Budda Superdrive? Again, I'm reaching. I also agree a Dumble would be cool though it's not something I would use often if ever.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I'm all for tons of Marshalls. I LOVE Marshalls. I gig/rehearse with a Superlead. I'd be stretching if I said I couldn't get virtually any Marshall tone from the Helix right now though. The Brit Trem Brt covers A TON of ground with boosts, EQs, and ODs. If L6 would add the bright cap options to the existing Marshalls I'm pretty sure that would close the gap between them and Fractal or whoever.

Maybe a Super Reverb would be a cool option? Or an Ampeg V4? A Budda Superdrive? Again, I'm reaching. I also agree a Dumble would be cool though it's not something I would use often if ever.
I also like the Brit Trem models, but I never say no to more. I'm super surprised that YGG/Line 6 acquired Ampeg over three years ago, but never modeled any of the amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom