Helix 3.2?

Chad Nedohin

Have you considered a few outboard conventional pedals? The helix responds really well to most pedals in my experience, especially delays and reverbs. Secondly, it takes drive pedals so well that i tend to prefer them over the helix overdrives. An OD and an EQ in front of the helix could save enough DSP for what you need, which would allow you to use the helix effects if you prefer them. If you need it all done in one unit then none of that will help, but I'm quite happy with my mini pedalboard with an EQ, OD and reverb running into my stomp.
I actually built a pedalboard with a Helix Floor and HX Stomp for that purpose.

It’s just too much hassle.

Especially when I’m leading worship.

Also, I share my patches to other worship band members and students.

I’m still hopeful for an option with more DSP in whatever innovative form Line 6 puts out.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
I'm super surprised that YGG/Line 6 acquired Ampeg over three years ago, but never modeled any of the amps.
I think so too. I think they have some of the bass amps represented, but I could totally see something like a Jet, Reverborocket, or V4…but maybe those are copies of other circuits already in the Helix? No idea.

the-trooper

I'd just LOVE if we were given the option to switch HX Edit / Native to a more traditional potentiometer like layout. Even after years of use I still find the thin long sliders with tiny labels to be a complete mess that is hard to read and look at and see at a glance what's going on.
I have no idea, but I'm guessing that isn't some massive coding undertaking.

Look here, isn't this so much more user friendly and easier on the eyes:

I S

I'd just LOVE if we were given the option to switch HX Edit / Native to a more traditional potentiometer like layout. Even after years of use I still find the thin long sliders with tiny labels to be a complete mess that is hard to read and look at and see at a glance what's going on.
The question is whether L6 is willing to implement a bad UI option. I have to turn software knobs with a mouse all day long on an RME mixer and it's the worst experience as a user. It's made even worse when using a touch screen like an iPad.

Perhaps the issue with things being hard to read can be solved in a more creative way? That's for them to figure out.

the-trooper

I have to turn software knobs with a mouse all day long on an RME mixer and it's the worst experience as a user.
I don't know how it's done on RME mixer, but almost all software "potentiometers" that I tried work so when you drag left or down - it's down, and when you drag up or right - it's up. You don't actually have to circle around them with a mouse, or finger. So from operational stand point it would be the same for those that are used to dragging left/right.

Perhaps the issue with things being hard to read can be solved in a more creative way?
Sure, what ever gets rid of bunch of horizontal sliders, because they're not great.

LaXu

I am not overly fond of virtual knobs because how to operate them varies so much between apps. They take less space but are less obvious for mouse control.

The slider UI clearly does not work well either. It is basically the only thing that scales in the app which means you can't make the overall UI look bigger but you can just make the sliders larger and thus even more unpractical to use. I said it years ago that the Helix has too few different UI elements to use. Sliders just don't work well for everything.

Maybe something like a multi column slider view would work better where the sliders are always appropriately sized so moving them is comfortable and you can fit more things on screen if you want. Some things would also work better as vertical sliders like operating the graphic EQ of the Mark IV sim or the graphic EQ block itself.

The scroll functionality needs to be limited to only scrolling the view because the current one wher mouse scroll not only scrolls the list of sliders but also adjust the sliders depending on your mouse cursor position is a pile of bollocks.

burningyen

If DI were dead he would be rolling in his grave.

karlic

Looks a lot more agreeable, as long as you don't have to go in a circle with the mouse!!

Rewolf

The compromise could be mini sliders with (defaulting to a rather convenient) 6 sliders per row. That would be closest to the hardware UI.

Obviously it would need preferences setting to switch between big sliders and "hardware sliders"

Rocco Crocco

I use a mouse to move virtual knobs all the time on a couple plugins. Maybe other apps implement virtual knobs in a bad way but the ones I use are easy and intuitive. I would like the option in Helix.

dronerstone

I'm all for tons of Marshalls. I LOVE Marshalls. I gig/rehearse with a Superlead. I'd be stretching if I said I couldn't get virtually any Marshall tone from the Helix right now though. The Brit Trem Brt covers A TON of ground with boosts, EQs, and ODs. If L6 would add the bright cap options to the existing Marshalls I'm pretty sure that would close the gap between them and Fractal or whoever.

Maybe a Super Reverb would be a cool option? Or an Ampeg V4? A Budda Superdrive? Again, I'm reaching. I also agree a Dumble would be cool though it's not something I would use often if ever.
V4 would be KILLER.

The midrange rocker makes this such a versatile amp.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
I've said it a million times (probably even in this thread), but improved Hiwatt would be great; Normal and Jumpered channels.

I'm also not able to really even get close to my CE-2 sound with the included chorus models; I'd love to be able to take it off my board. A stock Bluesbreaker would be good as well (obviously the POT / KOT are in there, but they're quite heavily modified compared to a stock BB, and are tonally closer to partway between a BB and TS).

Cactusprick

x10000000000000000
please please please