Helix 3.2?

Mac70

Stuff like preset exchange, Kemper/QC profiles/captures etc work because they don't require particular skills to create.
When content partly depends on the community, you can end up with very mixed quality content, and also you can face many bug reporting that any company would rather avoiding.

Yeah, you probably right, even if it existed it will be way too advanced and time consuming to create a good sounding model for the average joe.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I would like to request is a "Model Foundry" that will allow users to create and share custom models they make.

Line 6 needs to exit the paradigm of "models are created by the company only" ASAP.
A semi-open hardware platform with versatile and advanced user tools to create and share models, (cabs, amps, pedals) is the future.
Let the platform grow and flourish through the community, without waiting for a new firmware for new amp+cab models, firmware updates will be for fixes, features, time/memory/modulation based effects.

Imagine something similar to Profile loading but there's no need for real amps to create the models, it's completely software based solution.
The company doesn't need to provide or support the tools for any OS either, an open source code with well defined hardware constraints will suffice and let the community create the software for any present and future OS.
Over time and in experienced hands the user created models can be as good or better than any tube amp, and yes, it can and will also produce terrible models too, all in the hands of the community.

In a nutshell, I'm asking to include the Community as part of the Sound Design team, imagine the longevity and possibilities of such product.
I'm not providing any implementation solutions or predictions, that's the hard part and way above my pay grade. :)

Anyway, just throwing an idea out there that I didn't see in any hardware based modeler yet.

Go buy a MOD Dwarf and build models to your heart's content.

Mac70

MOD Dwarf
I've watched a few videos on youtube and I am very impressed, this is a good step forward from the standard chain grid most modelers use and the models themselves are plugins.
The problem is it is useless without a PC and the Software, the unit itself is basically a Processor with I/O DACs and 3 footswitches to change the pre-built patches.

Maybe if they put the PC part in the modeler with a 10" touchscreen and a USB Mouse, 12 footswitches, expression pedal, and a good amount of encoders, I/O, etc.
Maybe then it will actually be a fully featured and self contained guitar modeler, albeit a very expensive and fragile one.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
I would like to request is a "Model Foundry" that will allow users to create and share custom models they make.

Line 6 needs to exit the paradigm of "models are created by the company only" ASAP.
A semi-open hardware platform with versatile and advanced user tools to create and share models, (cabs, amps, pedals) is the future.
Let the platform grow and flourish through the community, without waiting for a new firmware for new amp+cab models, firmware updates will be for fixes, features, time/memory/modulation based effects.

Imagine something similar to Profile loading but there's no need for real amps to create the models, it's completely software based solution.
The company doesn't need to provide or support the tools for any OS either, an open source code with well defined hardware constraints will suffice and let the community create the software for any present and future OS.
Over time and in experienced hands the user created models can be as good or better than any tube amp, and yes, it can and will also produce terrible models too, all in the hands of the community.

In a nutshell, I'm asking to include the Community as part of the Sound Design team, imagine the longevity and possibilities of such product.
I'm not providing any implementation solutions or predictions, that's the hard part and way above my pay grade. :)

Anyway, just throwing an idea out there that I didn't see in any hardware based modeler yet.
I imagine that the number of Kemper of Quad Cortex users that actually create their own profiles is probably pretty small. The number of people interested in sound design on this level would be really small. I think the future is always going to be making the gap between the experience of using a modeler compared to using traditional gear as small as possible and making it so the learning curve doesn’t exist. Normal people aren’t interested in how the sausage gets made.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I've watched a few videos on youtube and I am very impressed, this is a good step forward from the standard chain grid most modelers use and the models themselves are plugins.
The problem is it is useless without a PC and the Software, the unit itself is basically a Processor with I/O DACs and 3 footswitches to change the pre-built patches.

Maybe if they put the PC part in the modeler with a 10" touchscreen and a USB Mouse, 12 footswitches, expression pedal, and a good amount of encoders, I/O, etc.
Maybe then it will actually be a fully featured and self contained guitar modeler, albeit a very expensive and fragile one.

I own one. It absolutely works without a PC all plugs are installed into the device, the editor isn't even directly installed onto a PC the Dwarf acts as a USB host you navigate to a webpage and it loads. You can even buy a Bluetooth dongle and use the GUI with a phone or tablet. That feature as well as a 100% flexible signal chain IMHO makes it far better than any of the bigger name manufacturers and I'm convinced is the future of modeling devices.

However the issue, as is the case with most open source projects, is the hit or miss quality of plugins. Almost none of the amp modeling on the device to date is competitive with what you can get out of even the most humble modeling companies, there are some passible clean tones but once the gain is upped the noise floor is unacceptable. They advertise loading multiple pitch shift effects to highlight it's flexibility and one certainly can but the quality is a step down from Line 6/Fractal. On top of that, there are no standards for controls as it's open source. So often the named controls don't work as expected and sometimes have no apparent function at all, UIs are all over the place so some take up way too much space on the GUI while others have hard to read fonts, etc.

It's a fantastic concept for sure, MOD is way, way ahead of the curve in terms of hardware/UI and I'm keeping mine to watch future dev despite not using it much. For example, their recent pitch to CV "analog" synth stuff tracks way better than Line 6 and is exactly what I've been wanting from a bigger company...but building out a virtual CV synth is super, super complex.

Last edited:

Bob Zod

The Land of Entrapment
Silver Supporting Member
what the hell is this talk about reaching down and stuff!!! Sacrilegious I say!!! Be gone you… you crazy being from a time when people actually used their body’s!!

Absurdities I say… reaching down.. hmpff..

In my current setup I'd have to become Inspector Gadget to reach my Helix LT from HX Edit.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
Without any correlation or relevance to where Line 6 may actually be in the 3.x timeline, it would be wonderful if 3.x Beta Testing were to begin before the End of Summer '22.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom