Helix ..... 3 x Basic " Amp In The Room " Rock Crunch Tones ..... clip inside ..... :)

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all

Still got my [ now good :) ] friends Helix for another week or so.

The following clip is as follows:-

-> 4 x Plexi patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> 4 x Dumble / Litigator patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> 4 x Archon patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> Live in Rehearsal Room
-> Single / same OH IR for all 12 patchs / sounds - no high cut - low cut @ 110hz
-> Atomic Active CLR
-> Gig / Stage Level volume [ loud ]
-> CLR on Floor Angled up
-> Guitar used was my 1990 USA Standard Tele with a Kinman SC Broadcaster [ 6.4k ] in the broidge
-> Recorded with my Galaxy S7 Phone ....... unfortunalty the audio recording app [on the phone] has a limiter on it so the levels / dynamics on the recording arent great and it default records in MP3 ....and then the S/Cloud upload does its thing etc...... you know the drill
-> Phone was placed 6 feet in front of the CLR at my ear height so the recording is excalty what was "hitting my ears" .... center of CLR to mic ...... as it wound / does at gigs

Even allowing for all this, they sounded -sublime- in the room .... as Michael Britt would say ..... this sound / tone is " my wheel house " :) totally happy with the Pleix and Dumble .... the Archon Gain needs to come down ..... its a VERY gainy amp ...... however .... these are all basic / classic / hard-rock Single Coil crunch tones ..... very much old-school tones ..... :) .... so if you thats not your "thing" ..... you'll probably really not like these .... :)

The patchs / sounds arent massivly tweaked yet although even as they are, they are absolutly equivilent to anything I can pull up in my Axe or Kemper.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

All the best,
Ben

crispsandwich

That was awesome. I absolutely love my Helix. I've owned an Axe, KPA and Helix over the past couple of years, and the Helix is the only one remaining (I cannot justify keeping all 3, otherwise I definitely would have all of them). I also have Yamaha THR100HD, which I feel is just as good as the other 3.

Modelling is 'there'. Anyone who doubts that should listen to your clip.

Cheers,

Dan.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
That was awesome. I absolutely love my Helix. I've owned an Axe, KPA and Helix over the past couple of years, and the Helix is the only one remaining (I cannot justify keeping all 3, otherwise I definitely would have all of them). I also have Yamaha THR100HD, which I feel is just as good as the other 3.

Modelling is 'there'. Anyone who doubts that should listen to your clip.

Cheers,

Dan.

Thanks Dan - very kind of you :)

I have always found that modeller clips recorded direct to computer / DAW can often sound very different once transferred to the " real live / gig / rehearsal room world " - be it FRFR, real cab etc.....

For me - now - the only " test " that matters is does my modeller sound like / as good as any real amp I have used live / in the room in the past .... hence why I record my "tests" the way I do.

For " direct to tape " polished / studio'd tones, my Kemper is " it " :) ..... turn on - pick my profile - hit record - play - go home - done

For "real" / "raw" amp tones, my go to is currently my Axe XL ...... and yes it sounds amazing ..... but I'm not going to lie to you .... these Helix tones ( from this borrowed unit [ :) ] ) to my ears with my guitar and my rig have a really honest and musical cut / edge / bite / grit .... whatever you want to call it ..... that is just " there " .... and which often takes me endless tweaking to maybe sometimes get to on my XL.

Just saying it like my ears hear it .... I have utterly no loyalty, innate connection or desire to use or not use any product simply because of its good or bad reputation or history or "Cliff'ness" or "Christoph'ness" .... may not be pretty on my part but just being honest .... tools are tools as they say.

Having now used and tweaked with the Helix for over a week as I have, I now have absolutely no doubt at all in my ears that it can do everything I want and hear from my Axe XL ....... I thought that would almost certainly be the case from my prior limited use of a Helix .... I now know it is true.

As always, everyone's mileage / ears are differnet :)

Thanks again,
Ben

Madmax25

Thank you very much for this, sounded cool. Very nice playing, right up my alley. And Classic Rock is definitely my thing - however, I'd probably categorize this as less 'Classic Rock', more 'Hard Rock' - when I think Classic Rock, I think late 60's to 70's rock tones, not so much 80's hard rock. These sounds had the amount of gain that I associate with the latter.

I had a hard time discerning
1. The difference in the amount of gain in each amp model's case. The four clips seemed to have almost equal amounts of gain in the clip
2. The difference in sound across the 3 different amps. They all sounded pretty much the same. Not bad at all, just very close in sound.

Maybe this was the result of recording it through the cell phone and/or intentional, I don't know. That's just how I hear it :)

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you very much for this, sounded cool. Very nice playing, right up my alley. And Classic Rock is definitely my thing - however, I'd probably categorize this as less 'Classic Rock', more 'Hard Rock' - when I think Classic Rock, I think late 60's to 70's rock tones, not so much 80's hard rock. These sounds had the amount of gain that I associate with the latter.

I had a hard time discerning
1. The difference in the amount of gain in each amp model's case. The four clips seemed to have almost equal amounts of gain in the clip
2. The difference in sound across the 3 different amps. They all sounded pretty much the same. Not bad at all, just very close in sound.

Maybe this was the result of recording it through the cell phone and/or intentional, I don't know. That's just how I hear it :)

Thanks. Totally agree.

Unfortunaly, the phone really " gained-up " and " volume'd-up " all the clips - in the room they were very "unique" and much less " overdriven " and really dynamic - well as dynamic as this sort of classic / hard rock can be :) .... when I dumped them to my PC to upload to S/Cloud, the .MP3 " wav " file had all the clips levelling at the same point :( .... the generals of the loudness wars would have been happy :)

Since doing it Ive been trying to find an Android app that has settings to disable volume record limiting and volume-levelling.

If I find one I'll re-do them and re-post.

Thanks again,
Ben

Guitardave

For "real" / "raw" amp tones, my go to is currently my Axe XL ...... and yes it sounds amazing ..... but I'm not going to lie to you .... these Helix tones ( from this borrowed unit [ :) ] ) to my ears with my guitar and my rig have a really honest and musical cut / edge / bite / grit .... whatever you want to call it ..... that is just " there " .... and which often takes me endless tweaking to maybe sometimes get to on my XL.

I don't have the same experience levels with the Axe but this is what I experienced. For my tastes the Helix just sounded "right" compared to the AX8.

Last weekend for the first time I had a gig where my digital rig (Helix, Crown XLS2500, and two 1x12 Boogie cabs) was fully on par, maybe "superior" to my regular tube amps. Previously the digital stuff didn't project or respond correctly at full gig volumes.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
Ben,

Oustanding Clips! Love the tones you dialed in on the borrowed Helix.

I hear what seems to be a good amount of room effect (reverberation) from your Rehearsal Room. This would not be atypical with the ear level (elevated) positioning of the Samsung Galaxy S7's omidirectonal mic 6 feet back from the Atomic CLR.

What are the dimensions of your Rehearsal Room? Ceiling Height? What Surfaces, Coverings, or Treatments are there on the floor, walls, and ceiling? Are there any furnishings in the room such a couches, etc? Knowing this would help in better interpreting what I'm hearing in the clips.

If, on the other hand, your Presets contained Reverb Blocks and Delay Blocks (not mentioned in your OP), those could be contributing to what I'm hearing.

jageya

Hi all

Still got my [ now good :) ] friends Helix for another week or so.

The following clip is as follows:-

-> 4 x Plexi patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> 4 x Dumble / Litigator patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> 4 x Archon patchs / sounds with increasing gain / crunch for each of the 4 patchs
-> Live in Rehearsal Room
-> Single / same OH IR for all 12 patchs / sounds - no high cut - low cut @ 110hz
-> Atomic Active CLR
-> Gig / Stage Level volume [ loud ]
-> CLR on Floor Angled up
-> Guitar used was my 1990 USA Standard Tele with a Kinman SC Broadcaster [ 6.4k ] in the broidge
-> Recorded with my Galaxy S7 Phone ....... unfortunalty the audio recording app [on the phone] has a limiter on it so the levels / dynamics on the recording arent great and it default records in MP3 ....and then the S/Cloud upload does its thing etc...... you know the drill
-> Phone was placed 6 feet in front of the CLR at my ear height so the recording is excalty what was "hitting my ears" .... center of CLR to mic ...... as it wound / does at gigs

Even allowing for all this, they sounded -sublime- in the room .... as Michael Britt would say ..... this sound / tone is " my wheel house " :) totally happy with the Pleix and Dumble .... the Archon Gain needs to come down ..... its a VERY gainy amp ...... however .... these are all basic / classic / hard-rock Single Coil crunch tones ..... very much old-school tones ..... :) .... so if you thats not your "thing" ..... you'll probably really not like these .... :)

The patchs / sounds arent massivly tweaked yet although even as they are, they are absolutly equivilent to anything I can pull up in my Axe or Kemper.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

All the best,
Ben

very cool....i get the same tones from my way older modeling amps i use....Pretty common tones overall but attainable with a some less expensive modelers.Remember i am not saying they are bad tones at all and its nothing negative against the player or the unit.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom