Helix as a traditional pedalboard - tips and best practices for gigging

Guitardave

I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for people using their Helix more like a traditional pedalboard with their regular amp and actually playing at gig volumes. That's such a different universe from home usage, or silent stages with IEM's etc. that it's hard to get feedback from the bigger threads.

Here's one:

Running the Helix straight to the front input of my amp (no 4CM) I get a different tone (more pleasant) using an effect loop send to go to the guitar amp input vs. using the main 1/4" outputs. I've double checked all the settings and they are identical (instrument level, main volume knob is on full or bypassed) Anyone else try and notice the difference? Any reasonable technical explanation? Paging @phil_m @Digital Igloo - is it real or self delusion?

Last edited:

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I suspect that whatever is after that fx loop isn't being used unless the loop is moved to the end of the chain. I don't have a Helix but that's what would happen on my GT-100. So you have effects or amps after the loop that are on?

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Well, the 1/4" outs sum to mono when only using one of them, and the Sends don't. So I imagine it has something to do with that. One thing you could do to test is would be to out a dummy plug in the other 1/4" output. That would give you only one side of the stereo output, theoretically the same as you're getting with one Send.

Btw, the Phil M you tagged in your post isn't me... My username is all lowercase... :)

Guitardave

I suspect that whatever is after that fx loop isn't being used unless the loop is moved to the end of the chain. I don't have a Helix but that's what would happen on my GT-100. So you have effects or amps after the loop that are on?

Helix has the ability to put the loops anywhere in the path. I'm using one of the sends as a main output at the end of the entire signal path.

Guitardave

Well, the 1/4" outs sum to mono when only using one of them, and the Sends don't. So I imagine it has something to do with that. One thing you could do to test is would be to out a dummy plug in the other 1/4" output. That would give you only one side of the stereo output, theoretically the same as you're getting with one Send.

Btw, the Phil M you tagged in your post isn't me... My username is all lowercase... :)

Makes sense, I'll try it.

Guitardave

Another tip:

I was fighting with the OD pedals sounding too "brittle" compared against my analog pedals. I decided to try using the input impedance @ 130k and it's working great with my tele. Even adjusting my amps little brighter still allows me more ability to run the pedals with higher treble levels and it just sounds better!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom