Helix/AX8 With Pedals?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FreeBlues, Apr 17, 2016.

1. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

Are Helix or AX8 owners still using pedals, and if so, which ones? Also if so, why?

I'm thinking of getting either a Helix or AX8, but I'll need to sell a few things first, specifically some of my prized pedals (Kingsley Harlot, El Cap, Ethos Clean, etc.). IF either of these units age good enough as all-in-one solutions, well great! But, if I'll still need or want a couple pedals, well then I may need to reconsider.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

From all reports, both units work great with pedals. Helix has more flexible routing, in terms of using pedals in FX loops (there's 4 mono loops in there), but if you are talking about drive pedals that are going to be run before the unit, that might not be important to you.

3. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

a hell of a lot of people - myself included - expected to need pedals when we went for one of these - I got an FX8 - but after a few weeks I just stopped using anything but the FX8... the same is true for either the AX8 or Helix I'd assume...

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

There are a couple of esoteric pedals I'd like to add. Specifically a POG2 and/or a Mel9. They may model them someday, but I suspect that they will be super CPU-intensive and I'd rather have them outside the unit at that point.

But gain pedals? With the Timmy and the Klon I'm totally set. Delay pedals? Really happy. Modulation? INSANELY happy with the phaser and the U-Vibe and the Leslies. Verbs? Yup, awesome. I'm sure that FX8 and AX8 users feel similar from what I'm hearing.

TimeSnow likes this.
  5. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I still use an EHX C9 or Key9 with the AX8 because it doesn't do that at all. I have been using my Wah as well because I like it. I'm going to probably switch to use an AX8 Wah to reduce the number of pedals though.

6. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    With my Helix, I'm using a Sonuus Voluum in front of it for the analog compression and LFO fx it comes with. In the loops I have an EP Booster, 30ms, Oxblood, and Walker King Bee. Each of those offers something unique. I also have a SY-300 in there.

I just started working a way to pull out Helix off that board and use it on it's own for smaller needs and then just plug it back in later. Sort of a modular setup from big to small and back again.

7. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I use my wah pedals because I live them and it allows me to use the EV1's to control more interesting parameters. If I needed a lot of Reverb I would probably use a Strymon Blue Sky, just because the reverb seems to use the most CPU.

8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I bought the Helix simply because it has the ability to use pedals in the loops. After having two of my favorites in the loops I'm currently just using the Helix drives. I would say to keep the real pedals for awhile simply to have a comparison for how to dial in the AX8/Helix drives. Honestly, unless you are actively comparing the "real" deal side by side it's easy to get sideways on the modeling stuff. When I've been working on dialing stuff in with the Helix I find it really helpful to plug back in to my "analog" board and my regular amp to help keep things grounded. The digital stuff sounds amazing...but it doesn't have quite the same presence and flavor especially if you are using FRFR/monitors to amplify it. Bottom line the whole direct to PA is very tough to get used to for me. Sounds awesome for FOH but I don't like the mic'd up amp sound compared to hearing my regular amp.