Helix Boost Pedal?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jjjp, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Anyone else feel like Helix could use a boost pedal model? The distortion models aren't giving me what I want when tweaked. I was hoping to avoid patching in a boost pedal in the external loop. Still experimenting with EQ block in front of amp model.

2. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Nope.... I'm finding the EQs (Really setting the EQ flat and increasing the level IS a boost, clean boost, transparent boost what ever you want to call it.) or Minotaur (if I want a little color to the boost) work great. There are several block types that can be used as a "boost" just depends on what your end game is.

JerEvil, TheFlyingAlamo and yeky83 like this.
  3. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

I get that, but if I were to put an EQ pedal in front of one of my (real) amps it's not the same as using an RC Booster, Katana boost etc.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Member

The RC Booster/Katana/EP/and nearly every flavor of booster out there is a pretty simple single or dual gain stage be it discrete, MOSFET,JFET, PNP or NPN or a classic OD with the gain locked down and the tone stack removed or fixed. There's really nothing new in clean boosts (copy or clone a few and you'll quickly realize this as a fact.). Try the Minotaur with the drive low... you might get where you are wanting to go.

yeky83 and LordByron like this.
  5. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Some boosts are enhancing the highs a bit. Should be a piece of cake for an EQ.

3dognate likes this.
  6. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I really like the Top Secret Overdrive with the level cranked and the distortion off as a boost, especially with single coils. I have the real hardware version of this pedal and use it the same way.

scolfax and MIJLOVER like this.
  7. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    A Gain volume block makes for a great clean boost. Likewise the Teemeh! Block with Center clipping and gain low also makes for a great fairly neutral boost, but you can EQ it to your preference.

JerEvil and shawnshack like this.
  8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Try the studio preamp

LordByron likes this.
  9. corvay

corvay Member

Not me. My real Timmy is gathering dust, just use the Teemeh set to 0 treble and bass cut and crank the level with the gain on low. The default setting is a high'ish cut and gain to accentuate the mids and make it sound more like a treble boost.

mbenigni, LordByron and 3dognate like this.
  10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Try this:
    1. Press and hold the Amp > Gain parameter knob. Helix jumps to the Controller Assign page.
    2. Press Knob 6 (Learn Controller) and then press an unused stomp switch. Set min and max values to goose the Gain by a bit.
    3. Press HOME and repeat steps 1 and 2 for any other parameters (up to 8 per footswitch) that might act like a boost—EQ Highs, Minotaur Level, Gain level, Multi Output Level, etc. Remember, you can also lower parameters by a bit from the same switch—just swap the min and max levels. So if you boost the amp gain and it's too loud, you can simultaneously lower the Output level to compensate.
    4. Touch-hold the footswitch from step 2 and then Knob 5 (Customize). Custom label the footswitch "Boost" and set the ring color to taste.
    EDIT: Bonus—None of the above uses any additional DSP or block locations.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Member

Man... This post proves how little I actually know about the unit and how many of the features are wasted on the bare-bones, meat & potatoes, d*** in the v*****, mom & pop-type guitarist I am and how minimalist my effect needs are. Amazing.

But yeah, I was going to suggest a gain block.

12. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Excellent! Concise and informative. @Digital Igloo, please include this gem of a Tip in the next (Helix 3.0) User Manual PDF whenever released.

LordByron likes this.
  13. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Thanks for all replies. Lots of good info.

MIJLOVER likes this.