Helix carrying case poll

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Beakertwang, May 2, 2016.

Which case for a Helix

1. Line 6 Helix backpack

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Mono case

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Hard case (please specify)

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I'm about to pick up a Helix, so I'm curious about case options. I'm considering all pros and cons: price, weight, durability, extra pockets, etc.

Please share your experiences and opinions.

2. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I'm using a hard case from an older PedalTrain board.

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I have the backpack - no experience with other options. I was a little concerned about the back price when I ordered, but I think it's worth the price. It's very well built, seems like it will be extremely durable and has enough room to carry cables, my extra expression pedal and other accessories with no problem. The back pack arrangement works well for me (I leave my speaker at my practice space and just carry my guitar and the Helix there).

I'm very happy with the backpack.

4. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

I started with the Mono case since the backpack wasn't out. It was/is a nice case, but for roughly the same $, the Helix backpack blows it away in ease of carry, storage pockets, zipper quality. No contest IMHO.

dray3573 likes this.
  5. dray3573

dray3573 Member

L6 Backpack, hands down winner.

6. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

7. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

The Helix back pack is pretty awesome... every as well made as the Mono stuff... well done... it's impressive.

8. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I need something stackable for my handcart, so for me the Mono wins over the backpack. Just goes to show that which case "wins" all depends on the details of how you plan to use it, so a poll doesn't really make sense.

9. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

Yep, depends on your use really.

Backpack looks great and convenient, but for me where I'll be chucking it in vans and it'll be stacked against other cases, only a hard case will do.

10. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

another happy backpack owner

I can understand the need for a hard flight case, I'd rather carry it with me ... the Line 6 backpack is durable and seems built to last (talk to me in a year after 100+ gigs)

my Fryette PS fits in the front pouch... and my Line 6 wireless fits in the upper front pouch... WINNING!

11. Beakertwang

The poll wouldn't be very helpful if the results were spread evenly, but in this case it points me strongly toward the L6 Backpack.

12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

What if you ran a poll pitting a minivan vs. a sedan and 9/10 recommended the sedan. Useful? Not without more info, IMHO.

13. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I wanted the Helix backpack, but $150 was too expensive for my cheap ass. I already have a couple of hard cases that it will fit in, so I just needed a reasonably priced soft case. The Boss L2 bag is perfect. It is very compact but also has plenty of space and protection. I bought it for $50 on Amazon.

mjross and Beakertwang like this.
  14. Beakertwang

I bought one of these once, but sent it back because the dimensions on Sweetwater's page were off. It's a nice bag, and definitely on my radar. I was just concerned that it wouldn't fit the Helix.

15. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Boss L2 case. Just $45 on Amazon, it's well padded, and it fits the helix snugly.

16. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

It is a perfect fit. It fits as though it were designed for Helix.

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Not a Helix owner but I carry my gig bag as a backpack so I prefer to sling my pedalboard. When I was planning to get a Helix, I was planning to use my MONO PT-1 bag to carry it.

18. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Helix on a Trailer Trash 12x24 flat board which then fits nicely in the Mono case.

I can attest to the Mono case quality; have one each of the 3 sizes of the M80 series- small PT jr with a Furman power strip, G70 wireless and two Mission exp pedals in the smallest Mono, Helix in the middle size, and my PT pro sized pedalboard in the big Mono case. Serious upgrade to the PT pro sized soft case!

The two larger sizes have handles on both ends, and all three have a larger comfy grip sturdier handle on the main carry side. Makes moving them around; especially the big case, quite easy.

The Helix backpack does look fantastic though, and the extra external pouch space looks well designed, and safely away from impacting Helix. I haven't seen one in person yet, I'm sure it's fantastic! I have the Line6 case for my M20d, it's perfect- and from the looks of it, the Helix backpack is even more robust than the M20d case.

One caveat I can offer about the Mono case for Helix; without anything else in there, the Helix has a fair bit of wiggle room, and it can slide around some. On a flat board or with anything else packed in around it, not any kind of issue- just not as snuggie as the Helix backpack

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  19. djy8131

djy8131 Member

L6 Backpack for me too. Really like the size of the front pockets so I don't have to bring a separate save a gig backpack

20. Opzouten

Opzouten Member

I have not yet purchased the Helix, but I plan to do so when I will have more time to work with it.

I will need a soft bag to carry it, but the Helix backpack is way to big to suit my needs as I will have to be able to fit it on my bicycle while carrying my guitar on my back.

My plan is to use the bag I currently use for the HD500 which is a cheap bag from Thomann.de (http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_effect_pedal_bag.htm, around $220).