• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Helix Deluxe Cabs?

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
What are you using?

I've got several IR from Ownhammer and Redwirez.
I tend to like C12 OH 1 and CTS OH1FM+
Redwirez with 409 on the Cone

Usually looking for mids and not the harsh top.

The stock Cab 1x12 US Deluxe doesn't do it for me (and I LOVE that cab on some other amp blocks).
I've been using the 2x12 C12N with a 67 and 121

What works for you?

Dan Desy

Silver Supporting Member
You said “Cabs” in the title, but you meant IRs. There’s a difference.

Guitardave

What are you using?

I've got several IR from Ownhammer and Redwirez.
I tend to like C12 OH 1 and CTS OH1FM+
Redwirez with 409 on the Cone

Usually looking for mids and not the harsh top.

The stock Cab 1x12 US Deluxe doesn't do it for me (and I LOVE that cab on some other amp blocks).
I've been using the 2x12 C12N with a 67 and 121

What works for you?
First off I prefer the Deluxe Norm as it's a little warmer sounding.

For stock cabs the C212N with the SM7 usually works for me. I tend to pull the distance back a bit to make the bass a little less prevalent.

The LRS Powercab IRs are excellent with the V30 and Jensen C12k being my two favorites.

odourboy

I prefer the 2X12 C12N. Using 87 Cond, 8.0", 80Hz, 4.0KHz, 0%. Also do some fairly redical tone shaping with a parametric EQ block as follows: 110Hz, 0.8, +4.0; 995Hz, 1.0, +11.4dB; 4.9Hz, 1.8, +5.0dB
Notes: I'm after the AITR (sorry guys); Still a WIP

JPenn

i've recently been on an albert collins kick, and wanted to mess with a similar tone. i'm using the deluxe normal model, hiwatt 4x12 cab with the low cut around 75/hi cut down to 10, amp gain at 6.5, low 2-2.5, mid & hi at 7, pres at 0.

i'm sure the 1x12 deluxe cab is a lot closer to an actual deluxe at the speaker grill, but i was looking for something that was fuller and more like what i would hear at ear level.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Not surprisingly, the Powercab Creamback sounds good with it.
I don't like the "Jarvis". I have always liked C12 more than P12 though.

I am getting a good clear present sound with the 2x12 C12N Cab using 121 and 160.
But Ownhammer CTS Warm is winning me over at the moment but it sounds more janky.
Need to record with it

gzii

Which Deluxe ? Reverb ?
OH 112 DRVB, FN-AXA for clean sounds, CTS for cleans and OD.
For live use, the OH1 works for me.

I have a similar sound to the CTS with my Mustang IIIv2 (studio preamp + deluxe reverb cab), so the IR with lo/hi cuts is only for the FOH.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the 2X12 C12N. Using 87 Cond, 8.0", 80Hz, 4.0KHz, 0%. Also do some fairly redical tone shaping with a parametric EQ block as follows: 110Hz, 0.8, +4.0; 995Hz, 1.0, +11.4dB; 4.9Hz, 1.8, +5.0dB
Notes: I'm after the AITR (sorry guys); Still a WIP
Those are some extreme settings indeed :eek:

Any sound samples you could share? Color me curious...

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Which Deluxe ? Reverb ?
OH 112 DRVB, FN-AXA for clean sounds, CTS for cleans and OD.
For live use, the OH1 works for me.

I have a similar sound to the CTS with my Mustang IIIv2 (studio preamp + deluxe reverb cab), so the IR with lo/hi cuts is only for the FOH.
I'm using these Ownhammer as a tonal reference.
I'd like to get something useable with an Amp+Cab combo block that didn't NEED a separate Hi/Lo Cut bLock

odourboy

Those are some extreme settings indeed :eek:

Any sound samples you could share? Color me curious...
Sorry, no samples. But played through a pair of CP8s it sounds a heck of a lot like the SF Vibrolux Reverb sitting right beside. The real amp still sounds a little more forward. Not sure if thats the open back, a little more EQ tweak or what? Try 'em with the DR amp and some reverb. Takes no time to set up. Actually similar to the now infamous JayM FF IR "C".

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
So this is unconventional but I like it so far.
US Deluxe 1x12 121 at 2.5" with the Cab Lo Cut at 160hz

@odourboy
Try making a copy of your preset and try getting that curve the OPPOSITE way and see what you come up with.
Big boosts like that always come back to bite me.
Big CUTS like I am using with the 121 can also be a problem if your signal also has a big hump right at the cutoff point.
But seems to be OK in this case.

odourboy

So this is unconventional but I like it so far.
US Deluxe 1x12 121 at 2.5" with the Cab Lo Cut at 160hz

@odourboy
Try making a copy of your preset and try getting that curve the OPPOSITE way and see what you come up with.
Big boosts like that always come back to bite me.
Big CUTS like I am using with the 121 can also be a problem if your signal also has a big hump right at the cutoff point.
But seems to be OK in this case.
Boosts are easier to hear than cuts (at least for me), but I like your thinking! I just started playing with this patch yesterday so some more work to do. I was planning on trying with an IR then baking the EQ into the IR once I'd optimized to my liking, but i got sidetracked by your thread. LOL

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Boosts are easier to hear than cuts (at least for me), but I like your thinking! I just started playing with this patch yesterday so some more work to do. I was planning on trying with an IR then baking the EQ into the IR once I'd optimized to my liking, but i got sidetracked by your thread. LOL
Once you find the most active frequencies, it gets interesting.
The 1x12 US Deluxe gets really aggressive really quickly.

Trending Topics