Helix - Feedback suppressor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Roccorobb, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

I've enjoyed using my LT for acoustic. It sounds just as good as my Aura Spectrum and has the added advantages of fx and presets. But one thing I haven't been able to cop is the 3-band feedback suppressor. Obviously a multi band notch EQ is easy, but I can't think of a way to make it do the detection. I'm pretty sure it isn't possible but figured I'd start the thread and see if anyone has arrived at a creative solution.

Seems like an easy thing to add to a future update though. FB suppressors are pretty simple. Maybe along with a de-esser and some other related but less-used band-specific gizmos. Ooooor maybe I'm the only one interested :confused:

2. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

I think you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way by using a parametric EQ and manually searching for the top offending frequencies.

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  3. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

Another thing to try would be to use the preamp fx block and reverse the phase. I know a sound man I used to work with would do this to avoid acoustic guitars from howling... just something to try...

4. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Thanks. I know I can do the old school tricks, and honestly I don't have chronic problems with feedback. But when I do encounter it, the function on the Aura spectrum is perfect. Just stomp and it's gone

5. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I'm with you and would definitely welcome something like that on the Helix. I used a Fishman Spectrum Aura for years, but dumped it when I got a Helix and discovered the 3 Sigma acoustic guitar IRs. I don't miss using Fishman's outdated software or sifting through their proprietary images. But the hardware was very nice and the feedback suppression function was super simple and effective. I have no clue if it would be possible to implement on Helix, but it's a good idea.

It's also odd that there are not a whole lot of products that do something similar. I see a handful of rackmount options, but no pedals. Surely there has to be something out there.

Roccorobb likes this.