Helix: Fender Cleans

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by holden_caufield9, Apr 25, 2016.

1. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Supporting Member

Are there any tricks to getting a good Fender clean tone with the Helix? I'm finding the deluxe and twin models to have very spikey treble and not very good bass. It gets a little better when you use a compressor, but then I'm left with an over compressed tone. I've always been a Marshall guy and know all the tricks to get those models to sound great, but am having some trouble with the clean amps. Any suggestions? i.e. do you need to scoop the mids, boost the bass, etc?

2. theroan

theroan Member

Engage the input pad and reduce the impedance. I was having the same issue.

3. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

This is good to know. I'm on the fence with purchasing the Helix and Fender cleans are a must for me.

4. holden_caufield9

I wouldn't use my experience as gospel. Most people are VERY satisfied with the Fender cleans from the Helix. I just have very little experience with Fender amps in general and have a feeling I would be just as lost if I was playing a real twin. I've always been a single channel, use the guitar's volume knob for cleans type of player. I'm trying to branch out and see what the big deal is with the Fenders. I love some of the tones I'm hearing, but am having a hard time replicating them.

For example, with Marshall, the more you beat on the strings the better it sounds. With Fender (both real and modelled) it seems to make the amp sound worse for me when I play. I think it's more of an adjustment for me than a negative on the Helix.

5. holden_caufield9

Are you saying the global impedance of the guitar input? I currently have mine set to "Auto". Is there a setting you found worked best for you?

6. theroan

theroan Member

Yes, I think I did 90 or something. The auto is based on the amp model of the first preset you use. It's not dynamic with your guitar.

7. texasdave

texasdave Member

I haven't seen this addressed here, but with the HD500 it was based on amp OR effect:

"There is also an Auto setting. When set to Auto the input impedance can automatically change depending on which amp or effect model is first in the signal chain of the current preset. Impedance settings are saved as part of each preset's input selection."

Have you tried the compressor after the amp instead of before? This post of mine was helpful to many.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-880#post-21158672

Texasdave

theroan likes this.
  8. holden_caufield9

Wow! That really is an odd way to do things. I'm going to try that out tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I have a feeling that will make a big change for all of my patches...

9. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Lowering the impedence was night and day for the fender amps for me

10. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Turn the Hi Cut knob to taste. Takes 2 seconds.

11. holden_caufield9

The limiter and the impedance did the trick! Thanks for the input, my GAS is now satisfied! :)

texasdave likes this.
  12. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

I made good experience with a Tube Pre AFTER the amp/cab ... check that out. Also try the newest 112 Ownhammer Deluxe Reverb Cab. It's killer for Fender Cleans.