Helix Fender Deluxe Reverb...which one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lpr9, Nov 7, 2018.

1. lpr9

lpr9 Member

I took a look at the list of the amp choices on the Helix and it lists Fender Deluxe Reverb. My question: WHICH one? The various Deluxe models sound fairly different. Any insights you can provide?

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

LordByron likes this.
  3. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I've been really happy with the Deluxe Normal with the C212N cabinet. But the 1x12 Deluxe cab sounds great as well. Honestly it all depends on what you are after. Don't be be afraid to experiment with the Twin as well. All the Fender Blackface stuff can be made to sound really similar with EQ and speaker changes. And it took forever to start experimenting with IRS but I really like the LRS IRs quite a bit - they seem to just work really well.

Have fun and experiment.

I find the Helix incredibly simple to get great results. I still use the Deluxe Normal the vast majority of the time for gigging. It's my happy space.

I have a ton of clips with with the Deluxe Normal model on my Youtube page.

Here's the very first test of the Helix I did three years ago. Stock everything...

And another one going on for a warmer Deluxe tone.

Bertiman, camstudio, Hush and 8 others like this.
  4. the swede

the swede Member

I loooove the US Deluxe nrm. amp, and stock cab. And i think, with the latest fw, they tweaked the stock amp settings to... sounds good right away. I up the drive (modelled volume controll as the real amp has no MV) to 6 from 5, to get that lovely sparkle (pickup dependant).

MIJLOVER, FlyingsCool and Guitardave like this.
  5. gzii

gzii Member

Lower values for the Master (8, 8.5 for me) are good.
    I love the Deluxe Nrm too. (I use it with Ownhammer IR, FN-AXA).

BozoTone, the swede and Guitardave like this.
  6. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Honestly if I only used the Deluxe Norm model with the OD models and effects I'd still be happy with the Helix. Over the last three years it's what I use 90% of the time. I like what I like.

LordByron, BozoTone, MIJLOVER and 2 others like this.
  7. the swede

the swede Member

Just me rambling out my thoughts:

Our different mv usage may be cab related... hmm... when i got the Helix i read alot of tips and tricks and one that i applied was that lower the mv on ”non mv amps” would somehow be better for the overall output... that may also be depending on the disputed and debated ”pad on or off” question.

I never tried ir’s but ime lowering the master from the 10 value that L6 states is default for non mv amps (removed from the circuit), sounds like a blanket over it. Off course, i dont go high on the drive value (just 5-6) so that may also impact the sound. My guess is what in hearing is a simulated mv removing top end from the whole tone stack when lowered and my cab/mic selection might emphasis that. 4x12 with 160 ribbon isnt exactly chimey and bright.

8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

A Deluxe through a 4x12 is not a combo you would likely see in reality either.
    On another slightly related topic, I was really surprised that there isn't a Tweed Deluxe.

ramuji and the swede like this.
  9. gzii

gzii Member

I use the Deluxe Nrm with the IRs OH 4x10 Super Reverb too and it works well.

The difference I hear is at loud volumes on stage or at rehearsal.
    I prefer the MV at 8/8.5 because it reduces the harshness.
    At 10 it is a bit agressive. But this is my feeling.

I think it is not related with the gain or the pad, because it is the power amp, not the preamp.
    And for clean sounds I often use no hi cuts.

the swede likes this.
  10. the swede

the swede Member

Ahh, i see. Thats something I will take into account. I have mainly been using my Helix at home. I have an FRFR at the rehearsal space wich I've just tried two times briefly. Will definitely think about that next time I go there :)

11. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Or a Tweed Super. Or a Super Reverb...

FlyingsCool likes this.
  12. gzii

gzii Member

I've read somewhere here that Super Reverb seems very similar to Deluxe Reverb.
    I use the Deluxe Reverb with the OH Super Reverb Cab IR too, and it sounds good to me (but I don't know the real one).

13. John Mark Painter

With Sag, Bias, Bias X and speaker selection you can work off of the Bassman or Champ and get cool sounds.
    But it is a GLARING omission of a basic staple.

14. John Mark Painter

LordByron, MIJLOVER and ramuji like this.
  15. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

The tweed deluxe is in the listed new amps of 2.8, 3 models of it, if memory serves me.

LordByron and ramuji like this.
  16. rolandk

rolandk Member

This guy is getting a nice sound:

17. Lele

Lele Member

My favorite Fender amp sim in the Helix is the "Mail Order Twin", excellent twang, low end and distortion. YMMV!
    Bias and sag can change its behaviour and feeling a lot.
    If you like modern tones, I wouldn't neglect the Archetype Clean: it's a great and flexible clean amp.

Guitardave and MIJLOVER like this.
  18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

The Fender Deluxe is one of the best amp models in Helix IMO. Both normal and vibrato channels depending on how bright or dark your guitar is. And the stock cab might be the best as well.

19. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I agree. I have had some different iterations of my dirty snapshots, but for clean, I pretty much picked the Deluxe from the beginning, with it's stock cab, and never had a reason to change it or even investigate another option.

MusicLaw and Jarick like this.
  20. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I have a Nash '52 Tele, so, Deluxe Norm (tho, the Vibe channel works well also).
    For cabs/IR's, the stock cab., OH 1012 Tweed (using the Jensen CQ12 or Celestion Vintage 12 individual IR's) and the OH 112DVRB FN-AXA.
    Several side notes here......putting the Deluxe Norm (and rolling the bass tone knob down) with the OH 1012 Jensen CQ10 or Celestion Vintage 10 individual IR's, puts this "amp" in Princeton territory. Also from the OH library, the 110VC4 10" Celestion Green and the 10" Celestion Gold make a great Princeton ...ever heard a Blackface Princeton with a 10" Gold???...KILLER.
    Last side note.....I read an article several years ago, where Steve Lukather said for "Rosanna", he used a Les Paul thru a Blackface Deluxe Reverb into a Marshall 412 cab (most likely with Celestion G12M25's). No mention of anything like a Tube Screamer, (or any other device) driving the front of the amp, or which channel...BUT, this is Lukes' "hand tone" and probably a '58-'60 Les Paul standard thru a Neve or similar top tier console.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    LordByron and Jarick like this.