Helix Fender Deluxe Reverb...which one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lpr9, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Uncle Pecos

Uncle Pecos Member

There's an interview/jam somewhere on YouTube of Luke with a Japanese guitar player in an old studio. During this interview, he plays his '59 LP and says it's the one he did the Rosanna solo with.

BozoTone likes this.
  2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Funny, my favorite Fender IR is the OH 112 FN-AXA (works so well for so many things), otherwise if I want more of a spanky tone the Jensen C10R from the Super Reverb set works really well.

BozoTone likes this.
  3. Uncle Pecos

Uncle Pecos Member

@BozoTone Found the interview for you. The video should start at 12:39 where he picks up his '59 Burst.

BozoTone likes this.
  4. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

I have owned and played an actual vintage ‘65 Deluxe Reverb for at least the last 10 years. I loved that amp. I sold it about two weeks ago, and replacing it digitally has been mind blowing to me on many different levels.

Madmax25, Guitardave, scott58 and 2 others like this.
  5. topboost

topboost Member

Curious as to why you sold it? The digital stuff equaled or better'd the real amp?
    I'm asking because I'm questioning my whole vintage amp collection when I can get so close to the real thing with headphones late at night and maybe have some storage space again for things like..... clothes!

Madmax25 and arislaf like this.
  6. scott58

scott58 Member

I gotta say that is the first time I've ever heard a modeler sound better then an actual amp in a video.

7. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

You probably know this, but the Mail Order Twin isn't a Fender, it's a SilverTone. Doesn't change what it sounds like, so if you dig it, cool. I had one back in the day actually.

8. Lele

Lele Member

Oppsss... you're right, and I apologize for the off-topic suggestion!
    I never had the chance to try a real Silvertone by the way, even if it should be a rather nice amp.
    I like its Helix model.
    Nevertheless I have to say that for clean tones I use mainly the Archetype clean. Imho it's excellent, even if it basically has a modern tone that can go from Fender type to Marshall type and beyond just adjusting the sag and the mids.
    In this case, too, I have never tried the original amp (PRS Archon) even if I'd love to have it since it's so good!

9. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

Many factors lined up that caused me to sell it. The main one is that it has been sitting largely unused since I got the Helix a year and a half ago. Old amps don’t like to be ignored, and I found a buyer who will love it as I did and play the hell out of it. Truthfully, I don’t find myself going back to playing an amp live. I also sold my Vox AC15. I currently don’t own any actual amps which should feel weird, but they weren’t being used.

The other reason is that I can definitely get all of the sounds that I require out of the Helix. I have Helix floor, Helix Native, and an HX Stomp. 99% of what I need can be done with the Stomp, though I love the full floor unit because of the flexibility. The sounds are great, I am satisfied with the feel and tones I get. No one in the audience ever notices anything, unless they are a guitar player, and they only notice that I don’t have an amp. I love that I don’t have to carry that much gear.

I am going to get a Fractal FM3 when it comes out, but that is more curiosity than anything else. I am a full modeling junkie at this point. Even if it replaced the Helix as my main rig, I would not get rid of the Helix stuff. It is great, Line 6 customer support rules, and I have plenty of uses for Helix regardless of what I use for guitar. Helix sounds great on my Rhodes, sounds great on my synths, and it is super cool for my electric upright.

I can’t speak for everyone, but it was the right decision, and was absolutely the right one for me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. topboost

topboost Member

Can't argue with that logic. I live in a condo and have an old Princeton reverb an early '60's Vox ac10. Can't really use them in here. Haven't played a gig in a couple of years and if I did there are way cheaper amps to use than vintage stuff. I love Helix native and the Amplifire firebox I have.

GravityWell and MIJLOVER like this.
  11. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I’m glad that I’m not the only person who appreciates Line 6’s deluxe reverb emulation.

I’ve used Line 6 amp modeling for headphone practice on every generation since the first POD, and I’ve always loved the deluxe Reverb model. In fact I’ve used it is recording sessions where engineers have commented about “my great sounding deluxe” before becoming aware that I was patched in direct.

It’s great in its standard combo cab, but I also enjoy cramming it through a 4x12 with greenback with the thing cranked. It sounds like it’s coming apart. Works with teles and Les Pauls alike.

12. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

A little backstory on some of the amps mentioned above... When I worked at Line 6 one of my side perks there was I bought and kept maintained the amps modeled in the POD HD and then initially into the Helix. There was a 52 Tweed Deluxe (narrow panel I believe) they that was modeled prior to the POD HD. Cool amp not not the one tweed deluxe most speak about. The Tweed Bassman in the POD HD and Helix is a 58 bone stock amp. The previous version had a bit of non stock stuff in it, which sounded great but not true to form. It belonged to Jay Graydon originally so how could it not! The BF Deluxe is a really good one and again pretty true to the sound.

The Mail Order Twin is a Silvertone Twin Twelve. I can't recall the year, but I think it was a '67? When I found this one down in Texas it was an original owner and he bought 2 of them. Never left his house and used very sparingly. A thing of beauty! I almost kept this one for myself, but it's one of my fave models in the POD HD and Helix. It sounds spot on to the real one. Some other cool ones I found are the EH185 and the Park 75. Both again for the sound modeled they are real close to the real deal. The AC15 was brought back to amazing shape. It's a real gain machine! It's nothing like half of an AC30. Again another one of my fave models. That with an Alnico Blue IR... good stuff!

I've played every amp modeled side by side to the modeler. Some are dead on and some really get you close to the ballpark because there is so much variance on some amps as well as to each other. e.g the next amp off the line of a model might be a dog compared to one that's a winner just before it. It happens, let alone how they age. I'm hoping some of the other amps I bought will get modeled soon. There's some very cool amps I bought there that no one else has done yet, that would offer some great options...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    lazer111, danieloux, Rayf and 14 others like this.
  13. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

This was a fantastic post. Very interesting to hear about the back story. Thank for sharing Andy. Let's hope some of those amps you didn't mention make their way into Helix as well :)

Guitarzman and AndyZ like this.
  14. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

This was a great read. Thank you for contributing this very interesting information to the community.

I used to love reading the amp literature that would come in the manuals of the POD series throughout the various generations. Your post brought me back to that place.

BozoTone, AndyZ and MIJLOVER like this.
  15. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Glad these old facts be fun... Another acquisition I had was the Acoustic 360. It cost more to ship that refrigerator sized amp than the amp itself. I still think they should model the tuner in that thing as some sort of theremin type effect. It's an actual knob to control the frequency to tune to.

Couple of other old amps they've had for years might give some other great Marshall flavors. I think they are both '68. Marshall Super Bass and a Marshall Plexi Tremolo 50w. I believe the Super Bass was one that John Frusicante used (on rental) for one of the old Chili Pepper records. One I could never find an unmolested/unmodded was an original '66 Marshall 18w with Tuber Rectifier. I found one with the solid state rectifier, but it didn't have some original components. That's a rare one to find!

I keep offering up my mint '67 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 to model, so I can finally sell it but still have that tone! haha!

eoengineer, BozoTone and MIJLOVER like this.
  16. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

This info is pure gold, Andy.

The Superbass would be an awesome addition.
    They did model the 50w trem, very cool model. A bit darker and more full sounding than the 100 w model. Also maybe a tad cleaner.

They're probably sitting on a lot of gems. But they can probably only models so much each month, so they have to be selective.

I'm still hoping for a Two Rock, a brownface Fender, and a Magnatone. Those would be fun additions. But all in all, the rooster is quite impressive already. The Tweed deluxe (both the Fender and Grammatico) will also cover some new territory. Will be fun to mess with. :)

AndyZ likes this.
  17. MWiggins

MWiggins Supporting Member

I have lost my user ID/password to the institute of noise, is it still active? That was the place to be in the vetta days.

AndyZ and arislaf like this.
  18. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

In actuality the Two Rock makes more sense that a Dumble. While they are elusive everyone of my friends who owned one says they are great once the tubes break in to the right point. New tubes don't feel right as when they are on their way out.

I actually bought a 60s Magnatone 280 Line 6 owns that is killer. I'm hoping that one comes along soon! I have an unpacking video somewhere of it and trying it out. For me I'm all about the oddball stuff, since I do so much studio stuff these days. I'm always after something different than what everyone else is using. I scribble outside the lines!!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    MIJLOVER likes this.
  19. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Yea It's still going but I think I'm gonna close it down when the webhost plan expires in coming April. I'll reroute the name probably to my other website (me for my production/mix work) which is in my signature line.

If you PM me your email address you used I can look it up and send you the details to get in while it's still up.

MWiggins likes this.
  20. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, I know the Dumble is very rare, expensive and sought after. But a Two Rock is much more accessible. So while I certainly wouldn't mind both, I think I can relate better to the Two Rock.

How 'bout having Line 6 model your Magnatone :D That would be all kinda of awesome. If you find that video, please throw a link in here. Would love to watch it :)

I can see why you'd go for some different textures. Something that might stand out more in the recordings.