Helix Fender Deluxe Reverb...which one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lpr9, Nov 7, 2018.

1. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Well the Magnatone is theirs. I bought it my amp searches for them. The Two Rock would be indeed easier. Fuchs has a similar model that they had on hand at one time, but it never made the final list.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  2. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Cool, if they still have that Magnatone on hand, I really hope it makes it to Helix at some point. The Fuchs would be great as well, no doubt.

Tracking down amps sounds like fun job. I imagine you enjoyed it :)

3. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I'm sure they still do. Very rarely do they get rid of an amp. The old tweed Bassman I sold for them once the new better one was on hand. I know where it's at still too! The guy who bought it brought along his lifelong pal Albert Lee to demo the amp. Ever since then Albert and I have been friends and have played together numerous times.

Buying/maintaining the amps was a small side perk of my regular duties. Was fun though! I was the Product Design Manager then. Did the same thing when it was time for modeling by getting together mics and mic pres, bringing in what what used eventually for the long haul of modeling then. The 57 and 421 mics you see in the POD HD and beginning of Helix development I actually own. They are both vintage and pristine!

LordByron and MIJLOVER like this.
  4. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Fantastic. They must have quite the collection by now.
    Thanks for sharing this background info. Hope you're enjoying it from the sideline as well :)

LordByron likes this.
  5. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I'm sure there are pics floating around of the collection. Still involved from a far with Helix stuff. Still use it in the studio on records all the time!

LordByron and MIJLOVER like this.
  6. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

OT, but how about modeling Rockett Pedals The DUDE instead (or in addition to) an actual Dumble:

It is Shawn Tubbs, who rocks anything, but still.

LordByron, Uncle Pecos and MIJLOVER like this.
  7. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I LOVED the superbass model in the XT series. Any idea if this is the same amp you mention?

BozoTone, LordByron and arislaf like this.
  8. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

It is indeed the one and same...

BozoTone, LordByron and eoengineer like this.
  9. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

As I mentioned above about the Magnatone 280, here's the video I just found of some demo noodling after it was just unboxed in the Line 6 studio.

Watch your volume, it gets loud at 20 seconds in. Sorry for the low video quality, as I think it was shot on an iPhone 4 back around 2011. Surprisingly, the tone still sounds pretty good on the video!

10. Raimonds

Raimonds Member

You got excellent sounds! May ask you to share the second patch with me?

Guitardave likes this.
  11. arislaf

arislaf Member

Awesome!!!

LordByron and AndyZ like this.
  12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Thanks - I wish I could but it's long gone. I tend to treat the Helix like a real amp/pedalboard so I adjust it to what sounds good in the moment.

My recipe is usually pretty simple though. Use the Deluxe Normal amp model and change the cab type to the C212N. For reverb I like the Legacy spring verb. OD pedal I'm not sure what I'm using but give the Teemah and Kinky Boost a try - that's what I use now with the Helix.

Realize that everyone's playing style, guitar and pickups dramatically change how all this stuff ends up.

On all the stuff I post I'm just tweaking basic tone stack stuff for the most part - no hi/lo cuts, fancy EQ tricks etc. Try a few different things and pick the one that sounds right to you BEFORE you start to tweak things.

Hope that helps!

BozoTone, LordByron and Raimonds like this.
  13. Yup

Yup Supporting Member

Hi Dave,

Would you be willing to share more info about how you dialed in the Deluxe when you were using the Power Cabs?

I seem to recall you preferred using the “raw” setting on the PC+s?

Thanks!

LordByron and Guitardave like this.
  14. Raimonds

Raimonds Member

Thanks a lot, will try to get close :)

15. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Sure - I didn't like the sound of the built-in Jensen very much. It's a legit sound - but like all this stuff it's about what we each like. There's a whole range of Fender Deluxe/blackface tones that are way to thin and bright for my tastes. The Creamback and Greenback are the best sounding built in models for me in with the Powercab. Neither of them are my favorite matchup for Fender stuff IMHO.

I found running the PC + in LF Flat mode with the LRS (Live Ready Sound), Celestion IRs and Helix stock cabs to sound really great. And it makes things super easy to run to the PA as well. Surprisingly I seemed to like LRS V30 the best for gigs. It was just the easiest.

The "raw" mode is a great sound as well - and I mostly like it without an IR. But it works with some IRs - just try it and see which floats your boat.

I'm a playing single coil stuff (tele/strat) and for the amp model I'm generally not far off of stock settings. Typically I like to keep the amp mostly clean (around 4 or so on the input gain), bass on Fender circuits sounds best to me somewhere in the 2-4 range, mids 4-6, treble I run low (2-5).

Oh - and I tend to put the PC+ in tilt back mode. I like it that way so I can hear myself clearly without being too loud on stage. And our position to the monitors makes a huge perception on how we hear the high end. I have no idea how anyone can stand the brittle high end from FRFR/full-range speakers. It just sounds so fake to me with an electric guitar...just like a recording. It doesn't bother me for acoustic, vocals, etc. though.

I've been at this gear stuff a long time so I just try stuff that might make sense and then quickly just focus on the stuff that's sounding good easily.

Hope that helps!

Yup and LordByron like this.
  16. Yup

Yup Supporting Member

Thanks for the input Dave, it’s appreciated.

Guitardave likes this.
  17. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I gots to get me a Power Cab+.....

MIJLOVER likes this.
  18. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

OK so what is the absolute best IR to use if I just want to Helix to sound like a stock Deluxe Reverb? I'm trying to keep this simple but this IR quest is expensive and never-ending.

19. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

You will never know that for sure, unless you either know that sound in your head so well that you don't need to ask this question, or you could A/B it with a real mic-ed Deluxe Reverb, which I have no doubt will allow you dial it indistinguishable....

A/B testing my Helix and PC+ with a few real tube amps have helped me learned a lot, to get the last 3~5% feel in there, finally via the "deep parameters", sag, bias and biasX.

Without a concrete goal or benchmark, it's really hard to say what is best, and certainly could send you in never ending circles....

20. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

There must be a couple of IR that people say are the best Deluxe Reverb though. I mean they can't all be great.