Helix floor: A sentence or 2 of likes and dislikes.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by direwolf, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

1. Amazing I/O flexibility.
    2. Incredibly easy footcontroller assignments.
    (There are hundreds more likes, but you asked for two. These are the ones that really set Helix apart, for me.)

Dislikes:
    1. Squirrely bits. :hide
    2. Fixed USB routing. (Note the USB routing in Helix is still superior to anything else I've used, so this is less a "dislike" and closer to a "missed opportunity".)

Guitarzman and jsad like this.
  2. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

The Helix sucks because it didn’t come out 25 years ago when I was a touring/signed musician. At least back then I was able to lug heavy ass gear with 5 percent or less of the capabilities and probably no better sonic quality. And I don’t want to hear any crap from the Line 6 engineers about them being only four years old back then. I was a card carrying union shop foreman when I was four.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Positive:
    1. Fantastic UI- amazingly intuitive
    2. Stellar tones- great building blocks to create realistic rig
    3. Involvement of Line 6 company personnel- the folks that help, inform, tease us are obviously hugely dedicated to make our experience a great one and gearheads like us.
    4. Constant updates and improvements responsive to user input.

Negative:
    1. Bickering on internet forums by fans of other products/Line 6 haters :hide

JerEvil, Guitarzman, KenG and 4 others like this.
  4. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Agreed, except if I'm being honest, I sometimes get a kick out of the bickering. :anon

JiveTurkey and mikah912 like this.
  5. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

Multiple modes (preset, snapshot, stomp, hybrids) support the most rigid to the most adhoc gig situations
    Quantity and quality of models and effects, combined with easy selection/routing, helps you explore sounds you might not have had time/money/perseverance to pursue in the past
    FRFR/FOH transport/setup/breakdown are ridiculously convenient

Dislikes:

Comparing cabs using identical settings is cumbersome
    It's a bit awkward to move around/in and out of its Helix bag because of its sleek-yet-sturdy form factor
    It doesn't provide any aux power options if you use pedals in the loops (I bought an HXFX, Ojai, and a small PT board to try because of this...a dislike that gave Line 6 more of my money)

mbenigni likes this.
  6. rich_chaffins

rich_chaffins Member

The sounds I get from it, and the ease with which I get them.
    The sounds I COULD get from it, if I wanted them.
    The free updates, with EVEN MOAR sounds I may or may not get to.
    The outstanding customer service and support they give.

Dislikes:
    The time I don’t have to explore it more because I’m always in the shop making a lot of sawdust and some guitars along the way.

Seriously. Killer piece of gear. Had every pod from XT to HD500X, and Helix just slays them all dead. The feel is finally there. The amps translate dynamics very well. And ease of use is just silly. Two thumbs way up!

GuitarGalah and mbenigni like this.
  7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

best sounding/most flexible and useful guitar tone generating device i've owned since 1983.
    updates have been STELLER sounding and it's also a very intuitive piece of gear to use.
    no real cons from me

mbenigni likes this.
  8. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

• Its marginal success means I get to design gear for a living at least a bit longer
    • @DigiPOV is hilarious
    Dislikes
    • Day of [X.X] firmware release: "When is [X.X+1] coming out?! Hur hur hur!"
    • Helix Core needs at least another three months of code merging
    • My pet feature still isn't implemented and likely won't be for a while
    • Like every other multieffects processor on the planet, its presets suck

9. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

- Marginal?? Better than that, I would hope.
    - Pet feature - do tell!
    - You guys have moved the bar from "all presets suck" to "most presets suck". A most admirable accomplishment.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Crap. We'll have to make them worse next time.

11. yeky83

yeky83 Member

What's the Helix Core and to what end does it need another 3 months of code merging?

12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

The parity of the source code so there's only one firmware to maintain across Native, Floor, LT, etc.

13. ryandfl

ryandfl Member

I like the Helix recorded sounds better than my analog recordings, kind of by a lot. My recordings from recent history with the Helix are right at the top of my favorites.

Variety of to tones available. Though I like in the Helix what I like in real life - mostly Fender tones. (Please give me more)

The hardware / software combination. And re-amping via the software.

Dislike

While I like playing with headphones, it’s not as sensational as sticking your head in front of a moderately loud amp. Air is real. (Don’t have an FRFR yet...sort of defeats a major purpose of the Helix for me.)

Fizziness can happen

Wish the Floor was a little smaller, And had an extra stereo send return loop.

Way too easy to change a setting / amp model / pedal by touching the main control knob wrong.

Also way too easy to pull up the footswitch assign menu, at least when using it on a table, leaning an arm across the footswitches.

14. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Meaning, the next version of Helix firmware (2.60?) is basically done in its conception, but they need to merge its code for 3 months? Or is he talking about 2.50?

15. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Meaning, Native has 1.5 and doesn't have Snapshots. The rest of the lineup is on 2.5 and does have snapshots. It's going to take time (approximately three months) so they can all be feature-identical and updated at one time.

mbenigni likes this.
  16. burningyen

burningyen Member

-dead-simple to navigate
    -floorboard form factor for easy transport, setup, breakdown
    -routing flexibility for processing of vocals and other instruments
    -onboard synth sounds
    -built like a frickin' tank
    -L6's dedication to the product, adding new features and improving existing ones

Dislikes:
    -pitch FX lack custom scales and polyphony
    -synth FX lack standard options (ADSR, etc.) and polyphonic tracking
    -no LFO control of parameters
    -I still occasionally make joystick errors, although a lot fewer than before

On the whole, I still feel like a little kid at Christmas when I sit down with it. It really is a joy to use and makes the process of getting from idea to execution just about frictionless.

SMT, GuitarGalah, bdrepko and 2 others like this.
  17. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Oh, got it. I'm not up to date on all the devices' fw versions, didn't know Native was so behind. Thanks for the explanation!

18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

1.5 for Native has almost all of the features (and it has all of the models) of its hardware brothers. Just missing Snapshots and some MIDI implementation stuff, I believe. It's not like Helix hardware FW 1.5/1.6 which was pre-Snapshots and missing several models currently in the firmware.

This confusion is precisely why they want to get a stable Helix Core that can just be update one time.

yeky83 likes this.
  19. yeky83

yeky83 Member

I can imagine, yeah. I guess it's quiet days for Helix firmware updates for the next 3 months then? It'll be worthwhile!

20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Personally, I welcome it. We need time to absorb all of the stuff from the past three months of updates. 9 amps, 13 new HX FX, 77 legacy FX.....insane.