• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Helix FW 2.21 "cf" Axe 9.00 Beta .... AC15 & Plexi .... super quick and short audio comparison ..

djd100

They sound like modelers to me, and if anyone wants to hear what real vintage Marshalls sound like, here you go (no LPF's needed LOL!)...

A real Marshall Plexi/Power Station vs Synergy Metroplex tube preamp and Synergy 50/50 tube power amp, via a 1960 Burst.

Shields Up!
:hide2

Last edited:

Guitardave

Like nearly every other comparison (including my own) I was split on which one I preferred. 1 and 2 (Helix), 3 (Fractal).

Sadhaka

They sound like modelers to me, and if anyone wants to hear what real vintage Marshalls sound like, here you go (no LPF's needed LOL!)...

A real Marshall Plexi/Power Station vs Synergy Metroplex tube preamp and Synergy 50/50 tube power amp, via a 1960 Burst.

Shields Up!
Hey djd100,

Thanks for that clip. Is that you playing and recording?

Do you know if that is a pure signal path: mic > interface > DAW > hi res output (although it is through youtube)?

If yes, a couple of questions: What mic/s did you use? What interface? What DAW?

I think that modelling users can really benefit from recordings like these so that there can be a benchmark soundscape of what an actual amp sounds like.

Cheers

Sadhaka

From Ben's recording, I think the Helix is markedly better on each setting.I'm listening on Beyer Dynamic DT 900 Pro cans...

ColdFrixion

From Ben's recording, I think the Helix is markedly better on each setting.I'm listening on Beyer Dynamic DT 900 Pro cans...
I'm listening on a pair of Sennheiser HD600's and to my ears the first set of samples are pretty close, however the Axe FX sample has a slightly more subdued high-end. There's not much difference at all between the second set of samples. However, the highs and lows on the Helix Plexi sound just a bit exaggerated, but like I said originally, those qualities are likely inherent in the reference amp, as well. Needless to say the differences are fairly negligible and you could EQ either one to sound like the other in a matter of seconds.

benifin

Hey stujomo - no issue with your clips or tone or playing ... just hoping to keep this thread as a comparison thread/discussion between Axe FW 9 and the Helix FW2.21 running same amps / settings / IR's etc....... %100 absolutely no disrespect meant or intended ..... hoping this is OK. All the best.

Ben

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I listened before I looked and thought the the order was reversed (in terms of my sonic expectations).

gtr37

Shields Up!
I love the Synergy stuff it sounds real because it is all tube
To be fair to any modeller you would have to use them through the same setup
Line6 Helix preamp into
Power station into same cab
Same mics same room

Ben clip is a direct to DAW
So apples to apples if you can't get Helix to go into same setup used here
Then you would have to compare the Synergy direct into a DAW with same IRS

Mixtape4384

Shields Up!
Holy S@*T that sounds awesome.

benifin

Last edited:

benifin

I love the Synergy stuff it sounds real because it is all tube To be fair to any modeller you would have to use them through the same setup Line6 Helix preamp into Power station into same cab
Same mics same room Ben clip is a direct to DAW So apples to apples if you can't get Helix to go into same setup used here Then you would have to compare the Synergy direct into a DAW with same IRS
^ This

As gtr37 said, with both the Axe and Helix, I went spdif-direct-to-daw ..... no efx / no delays / no reverbs / no room reflections / no mic spacing / no mic distancing etc ..... my recorded "takes" are as raw / ugly / dry / harsh as you can get :) ..... these clips were never ever going to even remotlely sound like an "amp" ambiently recorded in a room.

Having said that ..... Ive done, and do many shows running either my Axe or Helix with Cab's off ... into a Matrix GT800FX in to my real 2 x 12 Celestion G12T-75 Cab ..... and it sounds every bit as juicy / spongy as any real tube rig ..... but ... thats a whole 'nother matter altogether :) :) :) !!! :)

Ben

josetxu

No worries :)

It was from this pack here:- https://www.cabir.eu/en/bundles/24-core-4-tone-starter-pack.html ..... go to the "cabIR.eu_VX-CA30TB_BLUE_IR_Cab-Pack_500ms_48kHz-24bit" Folder ..... go to the "Focus' Folder .... I used "VX-CA30TB_FOCUS_A_57.wav" and "VX-CA30TB_FOCUS_CAB_57.wav" .... ran them in a 50/50 split -6db each so they [mono] summed out to 0 db

Hope this helps.

Ben
Thanks for the reply, I already have that pack, so I'll try that combination when I can. Thanks!

Trending Topics