Helix FX with Mesa Lonestar

Ggroove

Silver Supporting Member
I just purchased a Mesa Lonestar (6L6 version). I've read a few forum posts on various sites that mention some tone suck when using the effects loop. Anyone have first-hand experience or advice with Helix FX and this amp? 4CM, direct to the main input, ??

Ggroove

Silver Supporting Member
The added circuity changing the tone makes perfect sense. Sounds like I have a lot to explore with this amp. I'm using pedals at the moment, some dirt and a delay, but anticipate a Helix FX filling those roles and more. Thanks for the reply!

sonofiam

I didn't use the HX but had the Lonestar and used the effects loop. I did experience "tone suck" due to the longer cables (30ft.) I needed. I eventually made some using quad core mic cable which solved the problem for me. The Lonestar's effects loop itself is actually one of the best I've used

buddaman71

Student of Life
Silver Supporting Member
I gigged an LSC in 4CM extensively and the FX loop is stellar. Such a killer amp.

Ggroove

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the great feedback! Sounds like Helix FX should play nice with the LS.

powermatt99

I have the Lonestar Special (EL84 power section) which has the same or very similar pre-amp and loop circuitry. I don't notice any sort of "tone-suck" with pedals or rack effects in the loop. I have had issues with the fx send clipping multi effects pedals like the H9 even with the fx send level dialed all the way back. I could adjust for this in the H9 global settings. Not sure if other MFX like the Helix can adjust for this. Of course, if you run your channel volume lower, this may not be an issue at all.

There is considerable, IMO, difference when disengaging the loop and master volume via toggle, however. But that may be a completely different discussion.

Guitardave

I just purchased a Mesa Lonestar (6L6 version). I've read a few forum posts on various sites that mention some tone suck when using the effects loop. Anyone have first-hand experience or advice with Helix FX and this amp? 4CM, direct to the main input, ??
The challenge with 4CM (for all amps) is the extra circuitry on the amp plus all those extra cable lengths. That said I had the Lonestar Special and it worked fine with 4CM as did the Transatlantic 30. It'll work great - just use high quality cables and don't run them near the output transformers/etc. - it's really easy to get extraneous noise wiht all that extra cable.

The real surprise you'll quickly discover is just how good Helix preamps straight into the effects return of a Mesa power section are. I found they they are every bit as good as the two Mesa's I had. I really loved the Lonestar (and also had TA-30). I ended up getting a Mesa 2:90 and using the Helix preamps with that and guitar cabs. Not as compact as a combo but I wanted the lighter weight of keeping them all as separate components - those Mesa combos get really heavy at the end of the night. And I can run things in stereo.

chumbucket

Supporting Member
The FX8 in 4CM with a Lonestar Classic is a match made in heaven.
Once you find the drive patches that sound good to you in front of the Mesa, the rest is a cakewalk.

Sadhaka

I have a Lonestar Classic Head.

I have never experienced tone suck and have used a G System with the amp for years. This is a piece of gear that ‘so many people had tone suck problems with’.

A couple of questions:

Can you play a guitar?

Can you set up a rig?

If you answer yes to these then plug in and play. Lonestar sounds amazing with the loop engaged or not. Fan on or off. 10, 50 or 100 Watts.

6V6’s sound really good imho. For me probably better than 6L6’s.

twostring

LSC with 6V6s in the power section and will testify it does wonderful things to this amp. I am about to dive into the HX with this amp as well. I've used the effects loop extensively with my amp and yes, the tone is different...better/worse is up to the user, but I've always felt I've had far more treble on tap with this amp than I can comfortably use. The EQ in the amp is more than capable of dialing in what you need/want, but I've often used a graphic EQ pedal in the loop to get to some extremes that I didn't feel like fighting the on-board EQ to achieve.

Ggroove

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like I'm in for a treat! The amp lands on my doorstep tomorrow. Can't wait to dig in and explore what's possible with it.