Helix...I'm going to eat my words now. Also Chad Boston question at the end.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ivanh3, Jun 2, 2017.

1. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

For the AX8, I used both the front panel and the editor, but I would say about 75 percent of the time I used the editor, although I was pretty comfortable with the panel. For the Helix, I almost exclusively use the front panel. So far I have only used the editor for loading IRs.

I feel like I am pretty open minded. I have also owned a free standing recording studio in the past. I mention this because some people forget what guitar sounds like solo'd and dry, and not in a mix with board EQ and effects. Pretty much all of the big four (Fractal, Helix, Amplifire, and Kemper) can replicate what a recorded guitar sounds like while rising above the threshold for "sounding real". I imagine the Headrush unit can too. I know from working with bands during recording sessions that A/Bing tones is influenced heavily by volume, then EQ, and then basic tone IMHO. Again, I mention to this to say you can get it done with what's out there.

Kemper: I have not personally tried one, and I don't want to, because I am afraid I will want it! I recently saw/heard this video. It was posted in response to someone on the forum who was asking if modelers could replicate his (very awesome sounding) plexi.

Man that sounds awesome. Hope my Helix can do this! I do actually use a plexi model on the Helix for a "near clean" or as I call it my "grit" patch.

Again, I am blessed in that I was able to sit down and do in-room comparisons between the AX8, Helix, and Amplifire. For me, factoring in work flow, tones, functionality, and price, the Helix was the clear winner. I could absolutely however make cases for picking each of the other devices. They are all awesome.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

mbenigni likes this.
  3. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Yes, i have been very impressed by Katana videos, and from hearing it at the LA Amp Show in fall 2016. Because i really wanted a diagonal 2x12 Marshall cabinet, i had been planning to get the Katana head to power whatever device i bought, but i subsequently decided on a more practical solution — studio monitors.

Thanks for your comments. Really.

Guitardave and LordByron like this.
  4. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Frankly, this is the type of thing that most concerns me about the Helix—not getting convincing EVH/Brown Sound. Marco is the only one i've heard who's even close. These are pretty good examples, but even these are 'significantly' poorer than what i've heard from the Fractal and Kemper. And i even asked on well-known preset creator, who had just posted Brown presets for the Fractal, 'why he didn't have any of similar quality for the Helix.' He replied with something to the effect that he 'couldn't.' I might still do the Helix, but maybe with the expectation of pairing it with a BE-OD pedal, or an Ampli-FireBox for its Friedman and/or Hotrodded Marshall models. Still not sure yet.... After a year of deliberating (and waiting for the money).

5. gtr37

gtr37 Member

There's a few clips floating around that to me sound great Tito and Shred770
    Can do the Van halen thing
    But if your not convinced and that's your main priority I would recommend going for the Axe orKemper

RolandKorg likes this.
  6. 3dognate

3dognate Member

I'm quite happy with the EVH type tones I'm getting using a dialed back SLO100 model and Celestion GB cab. The right Green Back cabinet model is important for the EVH thing... (57 toward the center of cone and off axis, sizzly but not overly bright)

JiveTurkey and RolandKorg like this.
  7. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Hey. Thanks for these. Shred440, right? I think I saw/heard them originally but must have forgotten. They are pretty good, so you've just made my decision more difficult again..... Ack!

8. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

The biggest problem I hear when listening to folks trying to get EVH tone is the lack of clarity. If you listen to his stuff, the string definition is amazing. Eddie used tons of gain, but he didn't. Most samples sound like tons of preamp gain. Eddie's was power amp saturation. What would be awesome is if one (or all) of these companies figured out how to emulate a variac and a non master volume Marshal dimed. That would get you definitely in the ball park.

9. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Some of that too is in the way you play it.... I do a decent EVH for most practical purposes in a cover band, even after passively studying what he does it's tough to cop his tone without playing stuff like he plays it. Tying to nail his tone without nailing the licks is like chasing your tail.

grego7 likes this.
  10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Fractal actually has a Variac setting in the amp block, and all of the amp modelers do model power tube distortion.