Helix LT - should I or shouldn't I?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and wondering if I could get your opinions / advice on a burning question I've had lately?

I've recently been eyeing the new Line 6 Helix LT, and am wondering if it would be worth taking the plunge or not?

I'm currently strictly a bedroom / hobbyist guitarist, and am getting back more seriously into playing after nearly a two decade hiatus where I'd only ocassionally pick up a guitar, but little more than that. Now I'm back to playing every day, and am thoroughly enjoying it once again. Wish I had never stopped, but it is what it is.

Anyways, my current rig consists of a Carvin V3 100W head and 4x12 cab, plus a Digitech RP1000 connected using the 4-cable method, and an Empress ParaEQ running after the RP1000 return as a master eq. I think the V3 is a decent (not amazing) amp, but like others have stated, it's taken a lot of dialing in to get tones I like. I'd prefer something better, but it just doesn't make sense to spend thousands on a high end amp given my situation, so I'm thinking going down the modelling route makes the most sense at this time. As far as that goes, the RP1000 has worked for me so far, but it's growing a bit long in the tooth, so I'm wondering if switching it out for the Helix LT would be a worthwhile upgrade?

I currently use the RP1000 both with it's amp/cab modelling presets and in amp/cab bypass mode as an effects unit for the V3. For the amp modelling, I prefer the high gain amp models (Dual and Triple Rectifier, 5150, RG100, etc), though I also use it for some clean tones as well. The more vintage stuff really isn't my style.

The $ for the Helix I've got, though I don't really want to spend it unless it will be a significant and very noticable upgrade.

Thoughts?

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
my current rig consists of a Carvin V3 100W head and 4x12 cab,
This is a pretty serious setup for a Home player. Would you be running the helix into this cab like you are with the digitech?

I don't really want to spend it unless it will be a significant and very noticable upgrade.
Helix will definitely be a major upgrade from the Digitech amp modeling and fx.

I prefer the high gain amp models (Dual and Triple Rectifier, 5150, RG100, etc)
Helix does the high gain thing really well. Here's a video. A little fizz is coming through on the high-end, but that can easily be tamed with the cab's hi cut parameter

Last edited:

mikah912

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and wondering if I could get your opinions / advice on a burning question I've had lately?

I've recently been eyeing the new Line 6 Helix LT, and am wondering if it would be worth taking the plunge or not?

I'm currently strictly a bedroom / hobbyist guitarist, and am getting back more seriously into playing after nearly a two decade hiatus where I'd only ocassionally pick up a guitar, but little more than that. Now I'm back to playing every day, and am thoroughly enjoying it once again. Wish I had never stopped, but it is what it is.

Anyways, my current rig consists of a Carvin V3 100W head and 4x12 cab, plus a Digitech RP1000 connected using the 4-cable method, and an Empress ParaEQ running after the RP1000 return as a master eq. I think the V3 is a decent (not amazing) amp, but like others have stated, it's taken a lot of dialing in to get tones I like. I'd prefer something better, but it just doesn't make sense to spend thousands on a high end amp given my situation, so I'm thinking going down the modelling route makes the most sense at this time. As far as that goes, the RP1000 has worked for me so far, but it's growing a bit long in the tooth, so I'm wondering if switching it out for the Helix LT would be a worthwhile upgrade?

I currently use the RP1000 both with it's amp/cab modelling presets and in amp/cab bypass mode as an effects unit for the V3. For the amp modelling, I prefer the high gain amp models (Dual and Triple Rectifier, 5150, RG100, etc), though I also use it for some clean tones as well. The more vintage stuff really isn't my style.

The $ for the Helix I've got, though I don't really want to spend it unless it will be a significant and very noticable upgrade.

Thoughts?
Would totally be up your alley.

Best routing options on the market with all of the loops and I/O. As for high gain.....

This is a pretty serious setup for a Home player. Would you be running the helix into this cab like you are with the digitech?
Lol, tell me about it. Back when I was a teenager in the early 90's, a 100W half stack was the "cool" thing to have, so I guess some of that nostalgia bled over when I bought the V3 seven years ago. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with something more manageable, but I like the V3 enough, and it wouldn't fetch that much on the resale market to make selling it worthwhile. And yes, my plan would be to run the Helix into the V3 using the 4 cable method just like the Digitech.

Helix will definitely be a major upgrade from the Digitech amp modeling and fx.
Sounds like it, based on the vid you posted. The Digitech has a Mark IIC model, but it sounds nowhere near that one. TBH I found that Digitech model unusable.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I got back into playing after a long layoff as well. If you have the means a high end modeler isn't overkill at all. The Helix LT is a very good value. Depending on your volume needs you may want to look into studio monitors or a powered speaker instead of running through a 100W amp.

jds22

I'm kind of in the same boat as you.
I'm only an at home player these days. I have a 5153 112 combo and a few pedals. I'm looking for more versatility and less hassle from cables and batteries, etc.

The LT seems like a perfect fit.

I got back into playing after a long layoff as well. If you have the means a high end modeler isn't overkill at all. The Helix LT is a very good value. Depending on your volume needs you may want to look into studio monitors or a powered speaker instead of running through a 100W amp.
I considered that, as I already have some monitors & power amp for my keyboard setup. The thing is, I still like to have some presets where I'm bypassing the modeller amps and using the the V3's preamp instead. Plus, there are also some controls on the V3's master section (bright, mid cut, deep) that I've found useful (so far) to use across the board even though they do color the modeled tones somewhat. So I think I'll continue to run through the V3 and keep the master volume on 1...LOL.

My other, late night living room practice setup for when the wife is asleep is nothing more than an old Line 6 2.0 Pod running through a tiny Behringer 15 watt keyboard amp, and that actually does the trick surprisingly well with minimal tweaking.

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
One other thought since you're primarily a home player: have you considered waiting for helix native to release? When I play at home I just play through headphones anyway so as to not disturb my neighbors. Since you're just playing at home, why buy the hardware? It's more expensive and just kind of cluttery.

Had the RP - good unit. Helix is a significant improvement in sound quality.
Cool. Good to hear from someone who has experience with both.

So I think you guys have me just about sold on the Helix. The only question is whether to pull the trigger now or wait until I can get a discount coupon. I'll probably call Sam Ash and Sweetwater to see if they'll work a deal, but don't know if I can expect much on such a new item. That and how to explain to the wife why I'm buying yet more gear, but TBH I did tell her that I was done buying GUITARS for now. Ahhh...semantics. :)

joec63

So I think you guys have me just about sold on the Helix. The only question is whether to pull the trigger now or wait until I can get a discount coupon. I'll probably call Sam Ash and Sweetwater to see if they'll work a deal, but don't know if I can expect much on such a new item. That and how to explain to the wife why I'm buying yet more gear, but TBH I did tell her that I was done buying GUITARS for now. Ahhh...semantics. :)

Call Musicians friend , advertising at least 10% sale on their site

One other thought since you're primarily a home player: have you considered waiting for helix native to release? When I play at home I just play through headphones anyway so as to not disturb my neighbors. Since you're just playing at home, why buy the hardware? It's more expensive and just kind of cluttery.
Because hardware is sexy! :D Actually, I was unaware of Helix Native so I just looked it up. So basically it's a software version that runs on a desktop, laptop or tablet? My main concern would be how that would integrate into my current rig, but will look into it further. I did the headphones thing for a bit with my small practice setup, but just prefer speakers more. Disturbing my neighbors is a non-issue where I live.

Call Musicians friend , advertising at least 10% sale on their site
Just tried, as a test, but the Helix LT doesn't qualify for the discount.

Regardless, I tend to avoid MF because I happen to live in one of the four states where they have a shipping depot. Therefore, they have to charge me sales tax.

Guitardave

I will be really surprised if you don't like the Helix. Especially using it with your Carvin in 4CM. The ability to turn your amp into something different by running Helix preamp only, or full amp w/no cab into the effects return of the amp is really the best of both worlds. And the Helix effects are a noticeable improvement over the Digitech stuff.

I have had good experiences working with Sweetwater - here is the rep I work with.

Kent Sallaz
Sweetwater Sound
Tel: (800) 222-4700 x 1345
Web: www.sweetwater.com/Kent_Sallaz
Email: kent_sallaz@sweetwater.com

MusicLaw

The Helix and Helix LT are spectacular. Unless you want the extra I/O, Aux Guitar In, XLR In, Headphone Vol knob, Scribble Strips, and an additional $200 discount on the forthcoming Helix Native sofware, the Helix LT is all you need.

Sadhaka

Man, I thought Helix LT was an April Fool's joke. Turns out to be legit and awesome.

Apart from reduced ins/outs and no scribble strips there seems to be little difference...

I will be really surprised if you don't like the Helix. Especially using it with your Carvin in 4CM. The ability to turn your amp into something different by running Helix preamp only, or full amp w/no cab into the effects return of the amp is really the best of both worlds. And the Helix effects are a noticeable improvement over the Digitech stuff.

I have had good experiences working with Sweetwater - here is the rep I work with.

Kent Sallaz
Sweetwater Sound
Tel: (800) 222-4700 x 1345
Web: www.sweetwater.com/Kent_Sallaz
Email: kent_sallaz@sweetwater.com
Cool. Thanks. I'll be sure to give him a call. I had a rep as well, but don't have his contact info anymore.

Man, I thought Helix LT was an April Fool's joke. Turns out to be legit and awesome.

Apart from reduced ins/outs and no scribble strips there seems to be little difference...
Well, it was an effective joke in the sense that it will part me from more of my money. Seriously, I was considering the Helix, but decided it was a little too out of my price range, and I'd make do with what I have, Then I come on here today and see that thread about the LT, and here we are. I'm usually pretty frugal, until I got back into this guitar thing. Already spent about $3k this year so far and now this. It is nice (or maybe not so nice, depending on how you look at it) to finally be able to afford the gear you drooled over as a kid, not to mention all of the technology advancements that have occurred since that time...

What have I gotten myself into? o_O ;)

Trending Topics