• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Helix & Macbook Pro - Thunderbolt compatibility

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Simple question...thinking of getting a new macbook pro, does anyone know if there are compatibility issues with the Thunderbolt 3 ports?

I'm really just wondering if you guys are using it with the new macbook and if it's working ok?

Thanks!

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
Simple question...thinking of getting a new macbook pro, does anyone know if there are compatibility issues with the Thunderbolt 3 ports?

I'm really just wondering if you guys are using it with the new macbook and if it's working ok?

Thanks!
I picked up a new MacBook Pro yesterday with a usb dongle. I'll try it with the Helix today and let you know. Mine has the 4 Usb-c ports only.

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
So far so good. I was able to use my Helix USB output to drive the Helix Editor and Logic Pro X. No problems, no glitches.

I'm using the Thunderbolt 3 to usb dongle.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't used a Helix but literally everything I have connected to mine (including Amplifire, iRig HD2, Old USB1.1. Saffire 6 connected to an AxeFx Ultra, AxeFx II native USB) have all worked with the Apple dongle.

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I've ordered a dongle to to from Thunderbolt 3 to 2. From there I will use a dongle to go to Firewire and try my Saphire audio interface and my Allen & Heath Zed R16. Hopefully it will handle firewire as well or I might be upgrading audio interfaces.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I know we are way further ahead with technology these days. I just have so many recollections of problems with things that seem so innocuous. I've been through every instantiation of Windows, Mac OS, etc...the simplest stuff used to cause problems. Glad it's not an issue, I really need a new laptop!

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
New Update: I just received my dongle for USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. From there I was able to use my Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire Dongle. Finally, I have a firewire cable hooked up and was able to actually connect via "Firewire" to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP Audio Interface. I launched Logic Pro 10 and was able to record and play back audio through the Firewire Interface.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! I had no faith this would work, but it seems to be just fine. 2 dongles and a firewire cable, who would have thunk.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
New Update: I just received my dongle for USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. From there I was able to use my Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire Dongle. Finally, I have a firewire cable hooked up and was able to actually connect via "Firewire" to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP Audio Interface. I launched Logic Pro 10 and was able to record and play back audio through the Firewire Interface.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! I had no faith this would work, but it seems to be just fine. 2 dongles and a firewire cable, who would have thunk.
That's cool...these interfaces must be way better than the stuff from the olden days...lol

Trending Topics

Top Bottom