Helix Native - and Midi implementation Help Needed

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Papanate, May 6, 2019.

1. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I've asked this before - and have been given a variety of answers - from
    'I not doing it right' all the way too 'Helix Doesn't Support That'.

So here's the question structured with specific hardware and software.

My gear

Hardware;
    2018 MacBook Pro
    UA Apollo Quad
    MIO USB To MIDI IN/OUT (plug and play)
    Behringer FCB1010

Software
    Helix Native
    Logic Pro X

I can not for the life of me - get the FCB1010 to talk consistently to
    Helix Native as a channel insert in Logic Pro X. I have two midi tools ;
    MIDI App - measures and shows MIDI information coming in or going out
    of my MacBook Pro. IFCB X App which allows off line editing of the FCB1010
    Pedal Board - and then allows a SYSEX Dump to the FCB1010 - which allows
    me to program the board in 20 minutes. Both show MIDI info coming in and
    out of the MacBook Pro. I can see every command I've programed - and it
    all looks as it should.

The issue is - Helix Native doesn't respond to MIDI info like I would expect.
    I have occasionally got the Wah and Volume pedals to work using Knobs instead
    of CC information. And I'm not a dumb bunny when it comes to MIDI - I've been
    programing keyboards and workstations for years to do my bidding.

So who here has a solid working Helix Native Midi setup (using a floor board
    like the FCB1010)? And if you do - I would be willing to pay for a Tutorial if t
    hat would make it happen - I have a deadline to solve this.

2. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

Im interested in this as well. I cant get a midi setup to work in Logic with native or s gear.

What I have read generally involves smart controls which I dont believe can be set to global. I dont want to have program midi for each project and each track. Id like to be able to program it to just work. Mainstage might be the best way to go.

For this reason I have been using logic and plugins less and less and my hardware modeler more and more.

3. adamquek

adamquek Member

This is probably because Helix Native's MIDI functionality at present is very limited.

For mapping controls, you need to right click -> map CC. Then you have to go into the Edit page to select the CC that the control is listening for. This to me is a rather tedious.

For simplicity, I have mapped 16 MIDI CCs to the 16 knobs inside Helix Native, so that I can just assign controls to knobs on the fly without having to go into the edit page to specific which MIDI CC it is listening for.

I have been using Native live, hosted in Cantabile, for quite some time already. Happy to talk you through the process to achieve specific outcomes, just follow up with a post.

4. Sharry

Sharry Member

If you do not have a relevant documentation - maybe this could help.
    Available only in english - a pity for me ;-)

https://de.line6.com/support/manuals/helix-native/?selected_language=de

With the HelixLT I have automated the sound and snapshot calls via my IPad setlist.

Addendum:
    I remember when I handled CC that many CC commands work as troggle and die device did not take care to a value.
    At that time I helped myself by calling up a different sound for a short time and switching back to the desired sound. So I always had defined states.
    I couldn't find a more elegant solution :)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. Papanate

Well there's the rub - you aren't using Logic Pro X - nor does it sound like
    you are on a Mac.

6. Sharry

Sharry Member

That might not be very helpful for the OP. ;-)
    Probably belongs more in the category war of faith. !

7. Papanate

LOL! I am the OP.

8. adamquek

adamquek Member

I've used both so I know how they work. Ain't no rub.

9. Papanate

OK - but what you were describing and the methods are not available in Logic Pro X or Helix Native
    AFAIK. If they are - could you please describe the pathways in detail. I'm am seriously frustrated
    with the midi implementation in Helix Native.

10. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I don't use Logic, is the MIDI mapping similar to Mainstage?

In Mainstage, I'm able to assign a parameter in Native to either a switch or knob, and then map that to an on-screen control in Mainstage, then map my MIDI controller to the on-screen control.

Elric likes this.
  11. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Was going to bring this up. If you don't need an actual DAW a host like Mainstage is a much better solution. Native is easy to setup with a controller in Mainstage.

12. Papanate

I can get it done in MainStage - but this is for recording. I'm trying to speed
    the process up when laying down tracks - basically so I can play straight through
    with different sounds without stopping and starting and adding another track.

13. adamquek

adamquek Member

For recording, if you want to change *patch*, Helix Native doesn't react to PC messages. However, CC 69 controls snapshots, so you could use that to play straight through with different sounds without stopping/starting/adding another track. So with some careful snapshot planning, this can most likely be accomplished.

14. adamquek

adamquek Member

Mainstage should be a piece of cake, and will allow patch changes because you're actually calling up Mainstage patches with an instance of Helix inside.

If I was still on a Mac, I'd be using Mainstage.

On a PC, Cantabile is the closest equivalent. It's not as "pretty" or intuitive to integrate with hardware/screen controls, but it is in other ways incredibly more flexible.

Tangentially related, I made a little script in ReaJS to function as a wah auto-engage, so now my foot controller can turn the wah on when it moves and off when it is fully toe-down for 0.5s :) I love how flexible these things can be in the digital domain, my current limit with DAWs and VSTs is more my imagination than the software.

15. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

I have a question along these lines. How can I change Helix snapshots using Mainstage 3? I've discovered the whole CC69 with values 1-8 thing I just can't figure out how to send it into a channel strip for Helix to respond to.

Assigning switches and knobs works great for most things, I just want to be able to take advantage of Snapshots in mainstage.