Helix Native Midi/Automation Help

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Drop the sun, May 16, 2019.

1. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Hi guys!

Need some help here. I know how to assign (midi) HELIX blocks and parameters in my Reaper DAW using Automation.

But I struggle to get the snapshots to change. Is there a good instructions somewhere how to do it? I found that CC69 0-7 should change the snapshots, but need some guidance what to do inside my DAW.

I might as well ask this second question as well, 'cause it would be super cool if it can be done.

Our bands drummer can' t participate in rehearsals for about two moths. We will be using drumtracks from our recordings to get the rehearsals going.

Now this is the part were Helix Native comes in. I thought that now would be a good time to test Helix Native + DAW to change presets/snapshots with a backing tracks. When I manage to get the snapshot changes to work I'm good to go... BUT could I connect our second guitarist to use the Helix Native and Automation as well using HX Stomp or Focusrite scarlett 2i4 as audio interface? So two guitars and they need to have separate inputs so I can run two independent Helix Native tracks in my DAW and control tone changes using Snapshot Automation.

Really would like to get @Digital Igloo to jump in and give some help if this is even possible with the gear we have in hands.

Gear:
    Macbook Pro 15" 2015
    Reaper DAW + Helix Native
    HX Stomp
    Focusrite scarlett 2i4
    Monitors (obviously)

-DTS

2. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Checking again if someone can help with this.

3. Sharry

Sharry Member

A question that also interests me.
    How to get Helix Native to follow a midi command of a DAW.
    The command in the DAW is very simple in this case: Time stamp, Channel, CC=69, Value = 0-7.
    But how do you teach Native to listen to Reaper?

If you call the plugIn Native in Reaper, you can call the window "plug in connector" in the upper right corner of "2 in 2 out" (depending on Audio Interface) and then "I/O". There is a selection for Midi Input or Midi output.
    I guess you have to play there to find the right setting.

It would be even nicer if you have the relevant documentation. :)

It's a track - I don't have the knowledge about it (yet)

4. adamquek

adamquek Member

To use multiple audio devices, you will need to create an aggregate device

To get Helix to receive the MIDI CC for snapshot changes, add a track with the MIDI information, then in the I/O settings, route it into the track with Native. I think you can also just put the MIDI track as a child track (folder) of the track with Native, and the MIDI data should flow up and through, but I have no tried this specifically myself.

Obviously you if you do this twice, you'll have the tracks you need for yourself and your guitarist.

You don't "teach" Native to listen to Reaper, you tell Reaper to route data to Native.

5. Sharry

Sharry Member

As the semantics have been clarified now , I would be interested if the setting in the attachment would be correct?

https://postimg.cc/ctJpY9nm

6. adamquek

adamquek Member

Just reconfirmed. Putting the MIDI track as a child of the VST track will pass MIDI thru to Native.

Alternatively, hit the "Route" button for the track, Add a new Send, and specify the VST track as the destination.

I successfully did this with both approaches 5 mins ago.

Sharry likes this.
  7. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Thanks guys!
    I did try this earlier. I had my Helix track, then I made second track, where I added midi command CC69 and 2 to change to snapshot 3. Add send from that track to my Helix track, but didn't get it to work.

I have to try the "child track" option today and see if I get better luck.

8. adamquek

adamquek Member

Good luck man, I tried to screencap the send track settings but when my snipping tools opens, that particular window closes. Child track option should work though, it worked for me, and there's absolutely nothing that difference across systems for that.

Drop the sun likes this.
  9. Sharry

Sharry Member

If you use the print button on your keyboard, you can paste the whole screen shot to e.g. paint. Then you can then you can edit the picture.!

10. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Thanks for the help!
    I got the midi commands to work using the child track.

Now it is time to program all our songs and test things out in rehearsals. Exiting times! I'll probably add few guitar backing tracks for chorus parts and little synth stuff as well... And won't tell anything about it for my band mates before we start to play. :D:cool: