Helix Native needs a VST host!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fjs1962, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

If you are on a Mac, there is no excuse not use Mainstage. Incredible tool. Gig Performer is good choice if on PC.

fazer and Watt McCo like this.
  2. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

Thanks for pointing me to this tool, never heard of it.

I bought Native when it was on sale a couple of weeks ago with the Stomp discount, and I'm really happy I did. For some reason I dislike firing up GarageBand every time I want to use Native, plus the up and down arrow keys don't work on Native's UI. I hope Apple's AU app is better in this regard.

3. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

Most Mac users employ Mainstage for that.

Elric likes this.
  4. rd2rk

rd2rk Member

If you create a MIDI track that takes it's input from your controller (FCB1010 in my case), then point it's output at Native, that'll get it!

5. adamquek

adamquek Member

Reaper will get the job done, you can create a second track to route MIDI data to Native
    Cantabile is even better, much more flexible, if you need patch changing and MIDI routing and triggering other things
    On Mac, Mainstage is the way to go

6. rd2rk

rd2rk Member

Unfortunately, Native won't yet change presets via MIDI. Cantabile allows you to save "States" of a VST, so you could save different presets in "States" and then change "States" via MIDI. Very cool workaround until Native gets full MIDI functionality. However, IIRC, the free version of Cantabile doesn't do "States"...:-(

7. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

2 solutions:
    Blue cat's patchwork (paid)
    image line minihost modular (free)

8. adamquek

adamquek Member

Yup, got to use States to mimic a patch change function, I ponied up for Cantabile Solo, which was well worth it. The MIDI mapping functions have been invaluable for me, particularly in working around Native's limited MIDI functionality.

I used ReaJS in Cantabile to make an auto-engage tool for my expression pedal. I also use Cantabile's MIDI mapping to assigns CCs to Knobs 1-16, which makes it easier to may controllers within Native. I've been thinking about integrating S-Gear and Mercuriall Spark into the workflow since I have them as well, and since the Spark does such a fantastic modern Marshall tone, although this is a little frivolous as Native pretty much nails what I need in a neat and tidy workflow.

I came from a Mac background using Mainstage, Cantabile may look a little less fancy, but the functionality is amazing. Only been limited by my imagination so far.