Helix Native - OMG I am in over my head! Help!!

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
Ok..so somehow, I am not even sure how, I "kind of" got it working in Reaper..but now I am stopped cold..

the only way I can seem to hear anything is from my scarlett interface headphone jack, and there is a LOT of time lag between notes and what I hear..

I am sure it is because I am way too dumb to figure this out..but has anyone found a for dummies guide on how to get this going?

Also, I have no presets or cabs or anything showing up in what I think is Helix Native..everything, and I mean everything, says "empty"..

What did I do to destroy that?

anyone..? anyone..? Bueller..? Bueller..?

1) Make sure you arm your track for record in Reaper....that gets it into the lowest latency state.

2) I think I read that you can right click somewhere (maybe near the preset list) and re-load the factory presets (without overwriting the user slots). Double check in the Helix Native thread around page 80 or so.

Cheers, and good luck

K

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
I see this was answered as I was typing
I think I read this earlier that someone had empty presets. At the bottom of helix native screen, you will see the words "helix native" it's actually a button, click on it and a menu comes up. I believe there is an option to reset the presets. Try that...I am not in front of my screen, so this is memory..

In reaper, there is the "arm button" on the left and the "monitor" button on the left. It doesn't say it, but they are there. Make sure they are both lit up. You should then hear thru your monitors ( assuming you have monitors plugged into your Scarlett )

Again, from memory so if I am a little off, please excuse :D

As far as (time lag aka, latency) go into reaper and click on options and then preferences I believe , click on (audio config) there you can set your buffer size, etc. the lower the better. If too low you will get pops and cracks sometimes, so adjust to whatever works for you

Hopefully this helps

Last edited:

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
this is a 8-core amd with 32gb ram on win7 pro 64-bit machine..

way more machine than I need, but should be capable of doing anything. It is my newbness that is the problem..

the only cable i have is the USB to the machine..

I have never used the outputs from the scarlett to a mixer..it has "worked" fine from the PC output to the mixer in the past..but maybe I need to just go from the outputs on the back to the mixer...

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
The Scarlett is the 'sound card' or the computers sound card is the sound card, you have to decide which way you want it.
When you said you have the 'PC output to speakers' means you aren't using the Scarlett for its most important role....being the 'sound card'. You want Scarlett to be the sound card (unless your PC has some amazing +$800, third party, sound card)

Find the settings in the Audio driver/Reaper preferences and tell it you want output device to be Scarlett. (you may need to install some drivers for Windows...ASIO4ALL is your best bet)
Send cables from Scarlett to speakers (or mixer if mixer feeds speakers).
Leave the USB cable as is connecting Scarlett and PC.
Tell the same audio driver/preferences you want Scarlett as the input device...plug guitar into scarlett instrument/hi z input.

From within Reaper assign a track's input to the Scarlett input your guitar is plugged into, most likely #1.
Prepare to do happy dance.

Last edited:

veritechc

Ok..so somehow, I am not even sure how, I "kind of" got it working in Reaper..but now I am stopped cold..

the only way I can seem to hear anything is from my scarlett interface headphone jack, and there is a LOT of time lag between notes and what I hear..

I am sure it is because I am way too dumb to figure this out..but has anyone found a for dummies guide on how to get this going?

Also, I have no presets or cabs or anything showing up in what I think is Helix Native..everything, and I mean everything, says "empty"..

What did I do to destroy that?

anyone..? anyone..? Bueller..? Bueller..?

Make sure that you have the ARM and Record Monitoring on.

http://uploads.im/RnYLJ.png

RnYLJ.png

green72

Silver Supporting Member
this is a 8-core amd with 32gb ram on win7 pro 64-bit machine..

way more machine than I need, but should be capable of doing anything. It is my newbness that is the problem..

the only cable i have is the USB to the machine..

I have never used the outputs from the scarlett to a mixer..it has "worked" fine from the PC output to the mixer in the past..but maybe I need to just go from the outputs on the back to the mixer...

you should be able to just run speakers out from the Scarlett. It should have all the outputs you need. 1/4, spdf, RCA etc.

Your lag may be the latency settings on the Scarlett.

If you have a software interface like this, you just go to the "settings" button down by the big volume knob. Then adjust the milliseconds down to 10ms or less.

scarlett_mixcontrol.png

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
well i do not have that screen any where I find..

my scarlett is a 2i2

but after HOURS of screwing with this, and MANY youtube video, I am only slightly better off.

I now at least have presets and cabs and stuff..but I have no idea what I am doing with Helix..

The monitoring is still f'ed up..the lag from what I play to what I hear is even worse..

i see down at the bottom of the helix window it says 2.7% so i am assuming it is not using much resources..so WTF am I doing wrong for what I am hearing and this lag..

And there is HORRIBLE noise in the background..I do not think it has anything to do with the noisegate

I am trying..but I am not sure I will even be using this until after the free trial expires..

this is very frustrating to say the least

3dognate

well i do not have that screen any where I find..

my scarlett is a 2i2

but after HOURS of screwing with this, and MANY youtube video, I am only slightly better off.

I now at least have presets and cabs and stuff..but I have no idea what I am doing with Helix..

The monitoring is still f'ed up..the lag from what I play to what I hear is even worse..

i see down at the bottom of the helix window it says 2.7% so i am assuming it is not using much resources..so WTF am I doing wrong for what I am hearing and this lag..

And there is HORRIBLE noise in the background..I do not think it has anything to do with the noisegate

I am trying..but I am not sure I will even be using this until after the free trial expires..

this is very frustrating to say the least

Hang in there... Reaper is not for the faint of heart. You'd have this issue with any VST effect... nothing to do with native. I don't use reaper, so I can't help directly. But it's a mind shift for you if you are truly new to using a DAW.

you might make sure this block diagram is in play :
GTR > interface (selected as the soundcard inside Reaper using ASIO) > Reaper armed track > Helix > master track of Reaper > interface > monitors
typically either your interface and/or Reaper has a latency setting in the preferences - you're gonna need read the manuals to set this correctly

Rewolf

Shortcut to audio interface settings in reaper is the text in the top right corner telling you what is currently active, click it and the settings dialogue opens

DarrellM5

Did you get this sorted out? Also, for me, what caused a horrible noise in the background was that I had the monitoring turned on for multiple tracks. That meant I was hearing them all jumbled together.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I am not going to give up. I have a laptop with a fresh install of Win10 on it, and that is ALL it has.,.no music stuff, no games, no nothing. So I am going to put the helix native plugin on it with some DAW, no idea which one yet, because it is obvious I am WAY too dumb to deal with Reaper.

But I am running out of time..so I will probably not get a chance to mess around with the plugin very much before my 15 days are up..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom