1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helix Native Plug-in

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitargord, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

Downloaded the trial and I'm sold. This sounds and feels way better than anything Line 6 has done prior to Helix.

Anyone have recommendations for a decent USB interface with very low latency (i.e. will run at 32 samples)?

tasothdevil and MIJLOVER like this.
  2. rilopcar

rilopcar Member

3. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

I’ve been playing with the demo the last few days and so far I’m underwhelmed, especially given the price. S-Gear, X50 V2 and a couple of Kazrog amps still sound and feel better to me. Maybe more time with it will change my mind?

4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

If you're looking for "better than S-Gear" I don't think you'll find it in Helix Native. If you're looking for "more than S-Gear, some of which is on-par with, some of which is not on-par with the quality of S-Gear" then you will probably find it with a little more time. IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda.

Elric likes this.
  5. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I feel that way about S-gear. Helix sounds and feels more like amps to me. But I've heard many get great results with it, so I think you're right. It's about getting to know it.

Do you make patches from scratch? What kind of sounds are you going for? Seen any videos of sounds Helix can produce, you like? Try starting with just a amp and a cab or two. Have favorite IRs? Try them as well. In the end it might not be for you, and you might not need all the stuff that's contained in Helix.

6. mattrowe

mattrowe Member

+1 on this. I took a few hours to run through most of Helix's presets, and they just sound "cheap" when a/b'd to an average patch in S-Gear.

There were a few exceptions. I did enjoy a handful of Helix's models: one of the AC15's, a Hiwatt, and the JC120. These are a little outside of the sonic spectrum that S-Gear can offer, which is probably why I liked them. I'm on the fence about spending $280 for it. I guess I have a few more days to decide.

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

I found the Helix Native the best sounding of all the plugins but only when using 3rd party IRs. I could not get the stock cab block sounding good. Of course I don't even bother with any of the presets and instead just take a blank patch and throw on what I need - overdrive, amp, cab and reverb. I have the Axe-Fx 2 and the presets on it are not usable with my setup either. With OwnHammer IRs I was able to get pretty close to the Axe with the Helix Native when comparing the Plexi models. The Line6 model had too much gain on the same settings but otherwise with minor tweaking became very similar. I felt the Axe-Fx 2 responded a bit better to playing dynamics but that could just as well be owner's bias.

BTW Line6, any chance of changing the Helix Native trial to 15 days of actual use (e.g. open it on day 3 = day 3 used)? Because I think I managed to get 2 or 3 out of it before I had a long trip and when I came back it was expired.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  8. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

If you call us and tell us you need a few more days we will hook you up

mcmurray and Hoth like this.
  9. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

Agreed, some of the models that are outside S-Gears sonic spectrum were more interesting like the Vox type amps. But I spent something like $7 an amp from Kazrog to fill a few gaps, and they sound pretty great overall IMO. Definitely worth checking out their free Thermionik Serpent amp. At the discounted $280 price I’m finding the Helix software a hard sell. If the price was closer to $100 I would probably jump. I guess I will play around with it a few more days and see if something clicks that changes my mind.

10. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

I’ve loaded up 100+ IRs that I regularly use with other products (AX8, S-Gear, Kazrog) and did like it better the few times I tried it. But thus far I’ve not produced anything I like better than what I already have available.

11. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Supporting Member

Native can sound really good if someone builds the patches from scratch based around the interaction with one’s own gear. Otherwise it tends to sound pretty awful. If a Helix factory preset somehow just lines up and sounds good with someone’s gear without tweaking it’s pretty much blind luck and rare... At least that’s my experience with and around it. Same holds true with the hardware.

12. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It hasn't changed mine. ;) Lots of Helix fans and apologists here will claim otherwise but even with the latest update the Helix is only in the middle of the pack for my tastes. I have given it plenty of time too.

13. Garhel

Garhel Member

Yes, those Helix fans - seems like an awful lot of people have bought it and really enjoy it, and keep sharing their enthusiasm for it. It's sickening and annoying when people do that! Not sure I would have described anyone as an apologist though, most uses of that word are in darker contexts...

14. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Why do we have to apologise that we think it sounds and feel great. Why do you act like your opinion is more than just that? I'm not part of some kind of herd, people can think what they want, but you seem upset that someone actually likes Helix. Why? Why not just say: "it didn't change my mind. Even with the new firmware it's still in the middle of the pack for me".

15. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

My Focusrite 18i8 stopped working so I didn't have a chance to use the Helix Native and I'm bummed.

My wife bought me a Helix LT for Christmas so I have to wait until then to use that.

All I have now is a Boss Katana Mini to use until I can open up the Helix. I'm very jealous, was really looking forward to the Native tones.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  16. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

If you're running Native on a trial, I've heard Frank say a couple times they can extend your trial period if you need. Plus, as an LT owner, you can get Native for $90 off this week, through Sunday I think. ;)

17. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Yea that’s cruel and unusual punishment to wait till Christmas. We will hook him up.

GuitarGalah, Jdstrat and Gearzilla like this.
  18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Come for incessant Helix slagging. Stay for the armchair psychology why everyone is crazy for loving it, but he's sane for not. :D

Aquinas likes this.
  19. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Supporting Member

I’d like to be the first to apologize for the Helix...

:eek:

...being so inexpensive! :p

mikah912 and MIJLOVER like this.
  20. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I continue to be amazed by your customer service. Although the Helix board didn't work out for me, and the modeling in native hasn't been my cup of tea, I did end up keeping native with one of the selling points for me being the great support and customer service that comes with the Helix platform. I love how you guys are excited about the product and want to get it into people's hands. I am a big Line 6 fan and it frustrates me that I cannot better articulate how I think the Helix modeling could be improved *for me*. For what it's worth, I own just about every other modeler known to man am going to try to do some direct comparisons this weekend to identify my criticisms. From my past use of Helix I think that there is something going on with the cabs.