Helix Native Plug-in

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitargord, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Ed_Saxman

Ed_Saxman Member

I'm on my second trial of the 15 days Helix Native demo.

The first time I tried it I thought it was better than HD, for sure, but I was not overly impressed.

However, this time I have spent more time trying to recreate the 4-5 basic presets I use on my HD500, sitting on my couch with the Helix native on my HTPC, connected to a Yamaha amplifier and a pair of B&W speakers.

Dude... I could not stop playing. The Helix sounds glorious. And I have not even tried to use a single IR yet!
    Of course, playing with a computer is not the best way to enjoy the Helix platform. The Native is really meant for re-amping.
    While Latency was not too much trouble, sometimes hiccups happens. Something tolerable to play at home, but not for a serious use live.
    Still, I really enjoyed the sound of the amps, the delays, those impressive emulations of distortion pedals, the studio compressor ...

I'll wait for the next NAMM in case there's any interesting news, but now I think I'll start saving and putting my HD500 up for sale, now that the price of Helix and LT seems to be somewhat lower in Europe.

2. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

The more you mess with it, the more you'll like it, Im sure. Around NAMM we'll get (around 5) new (HX) reverbs for Helix. It keeps improving and expanding.

2018 will be interesting for Helix with some of the big features done (editor, snapshots, better update handling, and not least, Helix Native).

Guitarzman and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  3. MatchFive

MatchFive Member

Instead of using amp+cab use amp by itself for both instances and put the cab on the second signal chain.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  4. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk Silver Supporting Member

Without exaggerating, I am totally blown away by Helix Native (I originally auditioned an LT, but had to return it to Sweetwater, since my grandmother refused to be sold again.... :) The more I learn about overdrive/distortion, the more I impressed by just about everything marketed (and free) these days - the only issue is a decision over the infinitesimal gradations in flavor (for a nylon string guitar), once the bass/mid/treble and/or tone/mix has been adjusted.

I have also been mightly impressed by Positive Grid Bias products for iOs, and with a little help from my friends at Line 6 and Positive Grid (as well as S-Gear, Amplitube 4, et. al.) am coming to the conclusion that:

it...just...can't...get...any...better

(Well, ok, until NAMM 2018, anyway... :)

5. kyolic

kyolic Member

Helix Native is too good to be true. I claimed this at the first day of the release after trying it. Honeymoon is long over and I still claim the same.

Steve Dallas and MIJLOVER like this.
  6. mattrowe

mattrowe Member

After a month of use with Helix Native, here's what I'd really like to see in an update:

1. Better midi implementation, mostly for switching effects on and off.
    2. If #1 can't happen, please let us use snapshots on Native.
    3. A global option to allow the tap tempo to always sync to host. Every time I open Native, it wants to sync to it's own clock. I'd prefer to always have Native sync to host.
    4. Access to the looper.
    5. Much lower priority: Is there any way to get the Black Panel Pete model (from one of the HD expansion packs) into Helix?

7. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

1 and 2 should be coming in the next update.

8. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

A better way to audition IR's????

9. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Midi support and snapshot support

10. vypole

vypole Member

Liked how bass amps sounds in helix, used them in The Black Crown, Black Block, Lorenzo Price, Dunning Kruger. Added some Helix in Black Block Lead Vocal. For guitars used in The Black Crown and ChrisDurban.
    Link for downloading presets:
    https://vk.com/doc51278603_457435366

11. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

MIDI support will have to wait, but snapshots are already in and currently being tested.

mbenigni likes this.
  12. vypole

vypole Member

13. LaXu

LaXu Member

One thing that bugged me in the Native was that changing amp models removes all the automation parameters. I was using those to be able to control settings with a MIDI knob controller but having to reassign them just because you changed a model makes them a no go for me. Why not instead just mark the ones that don't exist on a particular amp model as disabled?

14. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It would be nice if there were some standards for MIDI automation but it tends to be a free for all... a lot of VSTs that support automation, in fact it seems like most, think of 'amp model a gain', 'amp model b gain', 'amp model c gain', etc as being completely unrelated so it necessitates that sort of per patch mapping setup. It is very common. So, to be fair, Native is not the only offender.The fact that you can have what? 4 amp models in a Native preset? complicates things too.

TH3 recently revamped theirs and it is pretty cool how they did it but it was absolutely unusable in the first couple versions. they exposed every control on everything which sounds like a cool idea but setting up a mapping took an overwhelmingly long time. It took minutes just to parse the names everytime you tried to map a parameter. It went from unusable to one of the best.

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

The way I see it, the mapping should apply per block so the mappings would stay even if you change it. I don't know how Line6 implements this but the way Fractal's amp blocks are set up is that the amp type is just one parameter so you can just tell the hardware "hey, change block ID 106 (amp block 1) param ID 2 (bass) to this value I just sent" no matter which model is selected. Instead of ditching the automation params they either just don't work if the param ID does not exist on the block or they operate the wrong thing, which is still a much better solution than completely ditching the carefully mapped params.

16. steinny

steinny Member

When will the new reverbs be available in native?

17. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Yes. This is what I was talking about with regard to TH3. They moved to this kind of representation. It works quite well although plugins like TH3 can actually have more arbitrary chains than even an Axe, IIRC; because they do not have fixed block limits, etc, so you can end up with things that cannot be MIDI controlled in the chain if you place enough of them.

I guess Native is sort of 'limitation compatible' with Helix H/W so it is a non-issue for now, though. So, I have to think about a 'virtual DSP' limit along a signal chain and routing between the two and number of blocks, etc, even though my computer has *way* more horsepower than a Helix H/W unit.

But, the upside to that is that this MIDI representation would be even more applicable to Native than other plugs that do not have to be preset compatible with a H/W unit.

18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

They'll be available when the 1.50 update for Native is released - sometime next week, most likely...

19. mg550

mg550 Supporting Member

I'm trying to use Helix Native with Reaper, but I can't seem to get it to work quite right. It sounds kind of like I'm getting a mix of the modeled sound along with the dry signal when monitoring. If I play back the recorded sound, it sounds fine. Any ideas?

I'm using my iMac with Reaper, Scarlett 6i6 interface and studio monitors.

20. gzii

gzii Member

The second path is open and nothing on ?
    The mix of the card is set to daw or something like that ?