Helix not sending MIDI PC/CC messages ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gitman, Feb 6, 2016.

1. gitman

gitman Member

In order to get my Redplate CD amp to switch channels by remote (using the HELIX as the controller) I bought a Voodoo Labs "Control Switcher" box. This box has a 5-pin Multi-out that can be programmed to send the corresponding signals to the amp's 5-pin port, using a somewhat re-configured midi cable. So far so good, using the front panel buttons on the box it sends out the right switching signals and the amp reacts accordingly. What it does not do however is react in any way to the MIDI PC/CC messages I try and send from the Helix , no midi signal reaches the Switcher.... duh. I've reset the Switcher, checked my midi cables, studied the manuals, to no avail. The good people at Voodoo Labs coulnd't find any fault in their product either, the tech-guys at Line 6 didn't get back to me yet so maybe someone HERE has had a similar problem and maybe found a solution...? Thanks !

2. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

Not sure how you checked your cables...or how/which pins your device receives the needed data on, so this may not apply to your situation.... but verify all 5 pins actually are wired. I have a few 5 pin cables that work for typical use but only have 3 pins actually in the circuit and only when trying a different device did I discover it wouldn't work because of those 'good' cables.

3. gitman

gitman Member

unfortunately I don't have any other MIDI gear at my hands right now and as far as I know, neither the Switcher nor the Helix manuals state anything particular regarding special cables. I will check the cables by opening up the plugs and maybe something will reveal itself .... thanks !

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

You could also use a multimeter to test the continuity.

5. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Are you trying to send MIDI PC/CC messages during patch changes? If so, you may wanna go to:

Global Settings=>MIDI/Tempo in the Helix.

Once there, turn OFF 'PC Send/Receive'. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me on this. What you want to use to send MIDI messages on preset changes are Instant Commands, which are the ones with the lighting symbol when inside the Command Center. Program your MIDI messages on patch changes using these instead (if you're not doing so already).

If this doesn't solve your issue, then I don't know what else to suggest.

BTW, this setting change I explain above only affects MIDI messages being sent during patch changes. Otherwise, MIDI messages triggered from a footswitch, for example, should work correctly (even with the above setting ON).

The other thing to keep in mind is that, in the Helix, the value parameter for MIDI messages starts at 0. Some MIDI devices start at 1 (i.e. The Kemper), which means that a value of 0 in the Helix is equal to a value of 1 on the other device. A value of 10 in the Helix equals a value of 11 on the other device, etc.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck!

gitman likes this.
  6. gitman

gitman Member

I found the missing link : my Switcher is the older , original version and uses a different protocol for setting up and programming. I had to reset the box, program in the right Control Change # and - bingo - the Helix' MIDI signals magically arrived at their intended destination .... Whew! Now it works like a charm : the Amp Drive and Amp Boost functions have their dedicated footswitches in my patches so
    finally the Helix is the complete and independent control-center of my rig, mission accomplished !

Jose7822 likes this.
  7. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member