Helix Owners - What do you think of firmware 2.30 now?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

My thoughts on this new firmware have definitely changed since drop day.

What about you?

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

How have they changed?

3. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

I am loving it. I have been stuck on the new Trainwreck and Plexi models and love the new Cosmos delay.

3dognate and MIJLOVER like this.
  4. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I like it a lot. Played the Trainwreck for a week - just discovered the Cartographer and it's fantastic!

MIJLOVER likes this.
  5. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Here are the biggies:

New Amps (7)
    • Voltage Queen, based on* the Victoria® Electro King
    • Derailed Ingrid, based on* the Trainwreck Circuits® Express
    • Brit Trem Nrm, based on* the normal channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Brt, based on* the bright channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Jump, based on* the normal and bright channel (jumped) of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Cartographer, based on* the Ben Adrian Cartographer
    • Agua 51, based on* the Aguilar® DB751 bass amp
    New Effects (7)
    • Distortion > Kinky Boost (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® EP Booster
    • Distortion > Thrifter Fuzz (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    • Dynamics > Kinky Comp (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® SP Compressor
    • Modulation > Bleat Chop Trem (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Lightfoot Labs© Goatkeeper
    • Modulation > Double Take (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original doubler
    • Delay > Cosmos Echo (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Roland® RE-201 Space Echo
    • Volume/Pan > Stereo Width (Stereo), Line 6 Original utility to collapse stereo paths
    New Features
    • Helix FW: Support for HX Edit—Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT now work with the new HX Edit application (Mac/PC)
    • HX Edit: Full State Backup and Restore

6. mikah912

mikah912 Member

All love here. It's funny that I dogged Line 6 out circa the Helix launch for having too many Marshall models among the launch lineup (well, really more like not having enough of other stuff I wanted), and now I love the abundance of Marshall flavors available. I'm pretty much good for amp sounds, but I know @Digital Igloo and @Frank Ritchotte will never know peace here until they add an "official" Friedman of some sort or another.

He means your feelings on the update. How have THEY changed?

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  7. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

The full state backup and restore + new upgrade process is really nice. That's a gamechanger, imo.

The device interface is so good, I never use the computer editor, so I don't have any time with the new HX Edit.

These have become three of my favorite things in the Helix lately:

Voltage Queen
    , based on* the Victoria® Electro King
    Derailed Ingrid
    , based on* the Trainwreck Circuits® Express
    Kinky Boost (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® EP Booster

They are so good that they made me revamp my goto gig presets.

At some point, I need to sit down with the Cartographer and see what all the fuss is about.

I'm also glad that the update didn't change or mess up any of my previous saved sounds. I've fought that battle before with another product line.

8. Lele

Lele Member

I suppose that he meant how your thoughts have changed about 2.30.
    Or at least I'd be curious about this, in view of how you posed the question.
    EDIT: I see that in the meanwhile you wrote your comment!

As to me, I like this update, but I could live with the previous firmware 2.21 without any problem at all, too. I like anyway the new editor, but I love the hardware interface so much, that I didn't even note how the previous editor wasn't that good!

9. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Yes, but only because they didn't change the amp modeling.

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

lol oops. My feelings have changed for the better.

It seemed like no big deal at first, but this firmware update was a solid move forward, imo.

buddaman71, MusicLaw, dmock66 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Pffft, who wants one of those crappy things in their firmware?

Viabcroce, VCuomo and mikah912 like this.
  12. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

I haven't had time to try the new amps yet, and I didn't notice any difference in my existing presets other than losing some footswitch assignments. But the update process itself was a nice step forward. Hopefully they'll work out the kinks with losing assignments.

13. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I'm loving the latest update... The new PC editor is good enough that I'm comfortable keeping my Helix on the floor at home now (big change there), and the Derailed Ingrid had me rebuild two of my standard gigging presets... I'm so damned busy between work, kids and three bands right now that I haven't had time to do anything else yet... I can't wait for Christmas holidays so I can try some of the other new amps and get some quality time just playing with the board again...

Jarick likes this.
  14. -Empire

-Empire Member

I’m thrilled with it. The new amp models are great. The fixed AC30s are great. I used an SP comp on my real board before getting Helix so seeing that model added was a nice surprise.

Going with a multifx is always a compromise on your rig somehow so getting these free updates with new excellent models and features is just awesome. For me, since I didn’t want to keep Helix on a pedalboard with other pedals, I had to compromise by giving up my SP compressor, lush reverbs in the Polara and RV-6, and my King of Tone. Now they’ve added the SP compressor, 5 new HX reverbs are confirmed for the NAMM release, and the Timmy / amp drive stomp controllers are a fine substitute for the KoT.

FYI the AC30 models were definitely improved. Much more natural now, and the last bit of the squirrels issue is gone.

MIJLOVER, bdrepko and mikah912 like this.
  15. mikah912

mikah912 Member

It's "white labeled" in there right now. People just don't know. When I did a shootout between the "official" Friedman BE100 HBE in Thermionik and the Helix 2204 Mod in the exact same signal chain...I liked the 2204 Mod better. Take a listen:

Nevertheless, they will hear about Friedman and Diezel VH4 (Try the Badonk through Diezel cab IRs...it's super close already!) models until they make it happen.

16. adamquek

adamquek Member

I've been waiting on a Friedman since I got Native, but the Badonk is AWESOME in its own right, and my go to high gain amp for now.

17. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I like the last one best there.

outlawten5, mikah912 and Tito83 like this.
  18. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Helix + Celestion IR's are the s#it. Having a lot of fun playing the new amps, they all sound amazing. Haven't even touched the new effects yet though. The input impedance auto setting thing still bugs me. Even though I finally got a satisfying answer, I still strongly think an alternative choice should be available.

Nice tones! Would very much like to know the settings for cabs, reverb and delay to try myself! Really liked all three, but I agree with @Jarrett, the 5150 is sounding especially great!

ryansalmond and mikah912 like this.
  19. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

I liked the HBE best. Sounds like you didn't use the same IR for each?

20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Exact same stock Helix IR for all. Details on the SoundCloud page.